Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

PSE pump needed

13K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  DrbenzTfuhrer 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a central lock system vacuum pump model 1408003248 for my 99 S420... Any ideas where to get a reasonably priced used one? Also I read that the new pump has to be programmed to the computer in the car... Is that true?

#2 ·
My Friend,

Here is a juicy thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1585361-diy-pse-pump-post-mortem-resurrection.html

9 times out 10 it is the motor. The brushes just wear-out. The 13v Johnson motors can be found on Flea-Bay for ten-bucks.

I would clean the internal parts of the vane pump with denatured alcohol from the home center using swabs. The vane parts are shown in picture top picture-all the black parts.

You may have to file an edge on the motor, but you can do it with a file, or go buy a cheap $10 Harbor Freight Dremel tool.

Buying a new pump is silly at $500 to $1000. Buying a used pump is a crapshot because all they are Junk Yard Pulls. Rebuild it your self for the fraction of the cost.

Best of luck,

MArtin

#4 ·
I'm almost finished replacing the motor on one of my pumps. I didn't even need to file the shaft flat as it has splines that grip the rotor very tight. Hardest thing to do is get the polarity right on the motor, as there are no markings on the original ones used by MB and that's just trial and error, doesn't hurt if it sucks when it should blow.

The one I bought was here: Johnson Electric 12V Motor Extreme Torque Output 6 OZ IN 6600 RPM | eBay

#5 ·
Here is the US seller of the motor..

12V Johnson 9167AK Motor 6600 RPM 5 Pole 12VDC DC Hobby Project High Torque | eBay

My two cents, I work with electronics, and have cleaned up these pumps. The thing I notice is the class of motor Mercedes used was not designed to be a reversible motor, I have found the brushes broken just like the thread by Moss500. I'm going to buy the motor from Ebay that was posted, but I'm going to try a reversible motor too for ten bucks too..

New Johnson Electric 35mm Diameter 5500 RPM 12 Volt DC Reversible Mini Motor | eBay

Hope this helps,

Martin

#6 ·
My PSE pump works fine, but I bought one of the Johnson motors off eBay for insurance. $11 shipped to sit on my shelf in the event I need it is money well spent, in my humble opinion.

Since these are surplus it's hard to tell when they'll become unavailable. I'm sure there will be something close to a replacement in the future, but I'll hedge my bets and buy one now…

Dan

#10 ·
I ordered a couple of motors as well... Now when I take off the pse pump will the car still start without it, also do I need to have it reprogrammed if I only replace the motor and not the whole pump? I have a 99 model so I heard they were a little different

#11 ·
I have a 99 model so I heard they were a little different
I'm curious about this too.

AND...
If I can't figure out how to do it myself, does anybody know anyone in the
Chicago area that routinely does this kind of repair? The few people I've
spoken with seem not to have done it, and most are suggesting replacement
without considering repair as an option.

(I'm in the SW burbs-- but anywhere in Chicagoland is fine.)

#13 ·
Gentlemen,

I specialize in electronics, and from what I see you need to un solder the wires off the old motor; solder them on the new motor.

Do not know how to solder? Look it up on the web-tons of examples and videos. A cheap soldering iron will do, but do not use a soldering gun as these emit voltage, and could damage the circuit board due to voltage.

A cheap radio shack soldering iron will work:

5-Piece Basic Soldering Set : Soldering Tools & Supplies | RadioShack.com

Or Harbor Freight one, but you need to find the solder..

30 Watt Lightweight Soldering Iron

You will need solder-rosin core. The standard 60/40 or 63/37. Do not use this lead less solder. It is hard for a beginner to use this stuff..

If you want a professional soldering iron, I highly recommend a Weller WTCPT or the older WTCP. These are non adjustable temperature soldering stations. In my opinion these are the best. They will last your lifetime. I have my WTCP for over 30 years, and every part is sold for both, and the pencil irons can be inter changed. The tips can be changed, and the ends of the tips come in different temperatures.. I only recommend these because if the iron is dropped on the floor it will not shatter the heating element as the adjustable temperature irons which have a very thin ceramic heating element in the pencil-no good...I used to sell soldering irons years ago. One can find a WTCPT on flea bay for less than $100 bucks...

If you guys have questions on this repair of the motor or soldering irons orrr soldering stations. Let it be known.. Make sure to clean the pump parts with swabs using denatured alcohol or contact cleaner with swabs. The key is to wipe the parts clean...

Best of luck,

Martin

#15 ·
It never ceases to amaze me how many helpful people there are on this forum.

I posted in another thread about issues with my PSE pump and was directed here. Now, having found even more helpful information, i am looking into replacing this pesky motor.

So when I search the Johnson HC683LG-011 I get a lot of PDF file result but not really anything as far as an actual motor that I can buy.

What exactly should I be searching for when it comes to buying a replacement motor? Also, did anyone benefit from putting in a reversible motor?

#18 ·
I do not think that is the one, the motors are on Ebay for the mercedes pumps plus you must open up the pump to check that the carbon rotor blades are all good

#20 · (Edited)
These short motors may work for a while, but the actual motor is 65mm long from the face of the motor to the rear plate, and it does not include the bearing off-set on each end which is 3mm to 4mm thick...

The diameter is 35mm

You will need to dremil the shaft shorter, and notch the shaft too

These cheap "can motors" are designed for one direction rotation, but in the PSE the motor the polarity is reversed, and it is the reversing that eventually wears-out the motor, or break the carbon motor brush

Martin

#27 ·
Here is the deal:

A) The shaft needs to be 17mm or longer

B) The Shaft diameter 3.2mm(3.17mm)

C) Bolt spacing 2.5cm with 3mm dia

D) motor diameter is 35mm or 37mm with the flux-ring(the cover around the motor)

E) Motor length is 65mm not including bearing caps

F) Stall current got to be around 20amps

G) no load current is 1/2amp or so

H) The back plate is metal not plastic

I do not know the RPM, but they must be under 10k

Martin

#29 ·
The correct motors as used on the 230 are sold on Ebay UK, they could fit OK.

The motor had failed on my 140163 when I bought it 5 years ago, I had a pump from a 126 and fitted this into the box with some foam packing. Its still running well today.

#33 ·
So I got ambitious and went ahead and removed the original pump motor to test it independently and it worked.

I'm thinking it might be on it's way out as it only spins when I twist the axle and makes a rubbing sound like something is scraping on the inside.

There's also a lot of dust in the pump vanes. I'll post a couple of pictures and I'll await your input.

Ps. I'm also attaching a picture of the valve adjustment screws in case anyone is able to tell me if it looks right.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.