BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1997 S500V
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Becker 1692 fixed volume knob

finally I fixed the volume control knob on my becker 1692 now my question is "are the radio 1492 and 1692 interchangeable parts wise?" I managed to fix the potentiometer but broke the plastic knob, like any variable resistor they get dirty on the shaft and contacts they will not function properly and might be erratic. it was a relatively easy fix, you pull the knob out and then the cover around the knob and you spray some deoxit d5 (contact cleaner) and use the knob for a few minutes (I play around with it for 30-45 minutes and cleaned with towel and sprayed a couple of times) once it was completely clean i dried it off and waited 30 minutes and sprayed deoxit g5 (contact sealer). and it works now but i don't have a knob. I figured this out by taking it a part (and i asked my electronics professor to help me out he said lets clean it and if it works no need for a new potentiometer)

if you guys are looking for this cleaner the cheapest place enough for this job is Radioshack its $16 something after tax I will post up pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for that, I was thinking of doing something similar and you've confirmed it.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
The Doxit is good stuff, yet the price is a little outrages from RadioSmash... Although other brands exist, and will work just fine too for about 1/2 the price. Like Techspray and MG Chemicals.

Frys Electronics, MCM electronics, and others sell it cheaper...In metropolitan LA the best place is a place called Torrance Electronics they are down in the South Bay, 1545 Carson Street in the city Torrance-they are the last of the True DIY electronic stores...

MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

The later W140s have digital encoder not a "potentiometer "-A series of little switches..

Martin
#4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
well when you look through the hole it looks like a normal potentiometer, we couldn't take the faceplate out so we only removed the knob he did take the back lid out and clean a few stuff. the deoxit was 14grams per can plus I didn't want to drive to musical stores (10miles) when radioshack is 1 mile away. frys was like 8 miles away. My professor said don't buy any but I didn't want to waste his supply of contact cleaner.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVA View Post
The Doxit is good stuff, yet the price is a little outrages from RadioSmash... Although other brands exist, and will work just fine too for about 1/2 the price. Like Techspray and MG Chemicals.

Frys Electronics, MCM electronics, and others sell it cheaper...In metropolitan LA the best place is a place called Torrance Electronics they are down in the South Bay, 1545 Carson Street in the city Torrance-they are the last of the True DIY electronic stores...

MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

The later W140s have digital encoder not a "potentiometer "-A series of little switches..

Martin
thats a great site and there prices seem great. they had a package for $25 and i actually had to use more cleaner today for the receiver for my room speakers (they are a tad bit ghetto its two 6" bose subs in a enclosure with a small amp they sound great compare to the speakers that came with the computer)
#6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 1998 S420, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1997 SL500, former owner of W108, W112, W114, W123, W124 and W126 cars
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVA View Post

Martin
Did the 1692 come after the 1492? I ask because I know the 1492 has the digital encoder for the volume control.

Dan
#7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
After "I" Made the mistake of getting a replacement radio(used one-luckly i only paid 45 bucks from the wrecking yard about five years ago-Now W140's are everywhere in the junk yards, but at the time none of my junk yards had these cars or any other late 90's Benz')

Though I have a Degree in Electronics, and my specialty is power electronics(power supplies and audio power) If I do not need to crack it open, I will not open it. My radio is working well, but I did find the volume control(the part itself) for a few dollars from Mouser Electronics in Texas. I do want to test to see if it works right with our radios. For now I have no incentive as I'm on the upholstery section of my W140, and the car is near perfect-leather is perfect- no leaks(many engine seals replaced)-Trany has been fixed by me, and body parts have been repainted by me..

I'll do the replacement encoder test to see if the one from Mouser Electronics works later...

I have a an old W140 radio where the cassette goes in with the tape goes in width wise, but I have not cracked open the radio..

Guys,

Post some pictures of faces of the early W140 radios.. All I have experience with is the 96+ radios

Martin
#8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1997 S500 and 1987 300SDL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 97 S500 with the erratic volume knob. So it is a digital encoder in mine? Can it be repaired by me, or do I have to send it in to Becker?
#9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1999 S500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same problem with 99 S500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubajeff View Post
I have a 97 S500 with the erratic volume knob. So it is a digital encoder in mine? Can it be repaired by me, or do I have to send it in to Becker?
I have the same problem. Any update on this thread?
#10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 1998 S420, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1997 SL500, former owner of W108, W112, W114, W123, W124 and W126 cars
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomie View Post
I have the same problem. Any update on this thread?
Unless you are competent to deal with SMD soldering and have all the required tools, it's a repair that would have to be addressed by Becker with an exchange or rebuilt unit.

Dan

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.