Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

iPod/AUX Integration with Stock Becker Stereo

25K views 87 replies 19 participants last post by  z168 
#1 ·
Just got done installing a GROM USB/AUX/iPod adapter on my stock Becker 1492. For those who might be looking at this as an option to integrate an iPod into their stock system, I'll offer my thoughts and observations:

The GROM unit was simple and straightforward to install. Remove the stock stereo, unplug the CD changer connector (if you have one) and plug in the supplied harness. Plug in the appropriate cable (more on that in a moment) and run the cable through the console and into the bottom box of the armrest.

No additional wires or connections are required. The GROM unit gets its power through the CD changer harness. Do note that you will lose the use of your CD changer with this unit.

Found plenty of room on the left side of the radio recess to stuff the GROM unit and cables. Radio went back in without a problem.

Power up the radio and using the provided instruction, press the radio buttons to select the input on the GROM unit and you're ready to go. The new input device will play through the radio when the CD selection is chosen.

The GROM unit has several different choices of inputs depending on how you order/configure it. The default setup uses a USB "thumb drive" (provided by the user) that you copy your music in .mp3 format in a particular way so that it can be "read" by the unit. Using your track selection buttons allows you to step forward and back through the .mp3 files. I tried this but found it to be a bit of a kludge and somewhat tedious to not only load the music on the thumb drive but also in playing it back. Crude but effective.

There are two cables that can be purchased with the unit or added separately. One is a standard 3.5mm stereo jack that allows the user to plug in any device that has a reasonable output. No controls through this method, of course, just playback of music from the device that you connect.

The other cable is for an iPod with the 30 pin dock connector. This is the way I went, as I wanted a direct connection to my iPod's line out as well as for it to be powered while in use (the iPod cable provides charging through the GROM unit, too.)

While plugged in to the GROM unit the iPod is powered and its output is not affected by the volume control as the line out signal is going to the GROM unit, not the speaker output.

I found that the GROM unit provided a very strong signal to the stock stereo, almost perfectly matched to the radio, so there is no noticeable difference in volume levels when moving between the two modes. High volume levels indicated no noise from the electrical system, so isolation appears to be very good.

The only negative I found is that the iPod is powered at all times. I can't imagine that this is a significant enough draw to cause battery depletion, but it is something to consider if you leave your iPod plugged in to the car for long periods of time while the car is not running. Another issue related to this is that due to the power remaining on at all times, the iPod does not turn off when you turn off the car. While this is more of a nuisance than a fault, the last iPod integration hardware I had would shut off when the car was shut off, and as a result the iPod would stop and start as the car did. Again, a nuisance at best, but something to be aware of if you are considering one of these devices.

You can shop around and find the GROM units for under $100. There is also a Bluetooth adapter available that allows you to pair Bluetooth devices to the GROM unit and use your phone and other Bluetooth devices through the stock stereo. It also includes a microphone for hands free operation of your phone. Going this route puts you in the range of $130 or more for the whole package, which is more than I was willing to spend as opposed to the $50 adder to a rebuilt Becker with an auxiliary input. Not to mention that I don't use my phone while I'm driving, so the Bluetooth option wasn't something that was desirable to me.

All in all the GROM unit is a great alternative to gutting your BOSE system and slapping some non-stock ghetto looking head unit in that would ruin the aesthetics of an already beautiful car, not to mention it's far less expensive as well.

If you have specific questions about the GROM unit, let me know.

Dan

See less See more
#70 ·
They're not the same. I think they're the same as the sedan, and if anything, they tilt a little less than the sedan in my opinion. I've found myself bobbing my head back a bit more in the coupe than the sedan. I think the coupe headrests don't fold forward as far as the sedan, but that could be my imagination/seat positioning in coupe.

#74 ·
After following this thread I purchased the Grom unit being discussed and received it yesterday. The music files on my android phone sound absolutely fantastic thru the stock head unit and boss system... really impressive. However, I am having difficulty figuring out how to run the usb cable out the back of the radio well to be accessible on the passenger side. Wondering how you ran your cable daidnik (or anyone else). Any assistance much appreciated. Joe

#75 ·
Joe,

What I did was remove the glove compartment and route USB cbl into there. Since you installed the Grom unit, I assume that you've got radio removal keys/tools. I found it easiest to the ECC unit above the radio (same tools), then it's pretty easy to route into glove box shell.

You do have to remove the glkove box shell to make a hole for the cable topoke thru. I did this on upper left rear corner. Made a hole then filed into small rectangle just big enough for USB cbl end.

I'm playing files from USB stick not a phone, so I'm not swapping things around as much. Opening the glove box to swap a stick is not a big deal.

If you're going to go with the bluetooth unit to use phone, which it doesn't sound like you are, but anyhow, for that case I think the 'sunglasses/car phone' pod is better.

If you're doing the play from USB stick thing, then I have learned a few things about the file & folder nomenclature to make sequencing work right. I did notice a problem with the way that Grom parses the filenames that the Grom people asay they're going to fix in next firmware update.

If you're doing the stick thing and are interested, I'll pass along those notes.

#76 ·
Joe,

Now I see that you are playing from the phone. I don't think you'll want the glove box location.

Your other routing options are: sunglasses pod or center console.

Sunglasses pod is easier. You might seriously consider adding bluetooth option. Then there is NO wire to phone and ability to accept/reject calls, etc. using headunit buttons. Some research w/ Grom tech for more phone specific info might be prudent, but other data in this thread is very encouraging.

You can add the bluetooth to your Grom USB unit.

If you want to stick with the wired to phone approach, then routing to center console seems better option. This looks a bit harder as you don't want to remove the center console if you an avoid it. It is definitely more of an involved process. I don't think the enclosure for the center console comes out thru the top either, so that makes things tougher.

Maybe other will chimne in here, but my estimation is that the cost benefit analysis leans heavily toward the bluetooth option. You can also use the existing car mic and access to that enclosure for wire & mic cable is easy. No wires to the phone and the modern amenities of call accept/reject....

#77 ·
Yeah I figured I could sus it out but if one wanted to see how a Mercedes is put together pull that radio out and see what a tight deal that is in there. Even the ash tray housing is armored. Bluetooth is starting to look like the way to go unless someone else has a suggestion on how to run the usb. Thanks much for the input! J

#78 ·
So I tried to connect the microphone cable attached to the factory dash phone yesterday. I removed the radio, climate control and the dash phone without any issue and have an extension cable to attach to the factory mic cable.

The problem is that I cant seem to get the microphone wire from the dash phone down to attach to the GROM unit. Since I have a R129, I was wondering if anyone had any tips (LWB250) on how to do it. I tried fiddling around with dropping a guitar wire from above to see if it would land in the back of the radio so I could slink the cable through, but no success.

What else do I need to remove? The vents? Does that require me to remove the lock on the dash as well?

Thanks in advance

#80 ·
So I have the GROM unit that has bluetooth built in. I went that route so that I didnt have to run any wires in the interior to connect to the phone etc. Regardless, the GROM unit plugs into the back of the radio in place of the 6 disc changer. I keep it behind the radio.

I am trying to run the mic cable from the dashboard phone/keypad (in the eyeglasses space) to the space behind the radio & climate control. Hope that explains things better.

#81 ·
Otahir, I think I now see that you are trying to get the mic cable down to the area of the climate control & the radio.

I would recommend that you take out the glove box insert. You don't have to remove the lock to do this, just the plastic rivets inside the glove box insert.

I think you will find that it will be easy to route wire around obstruction of center vent assy with access from side with glove box out.

It is a bit tight to get the insert out, but it comes out past the door without removal of the glove box door.

Light assy also has to be popped out & cable/conn disconnected.

#85 ·
Thanks for the info, Dan.

Just to confirm, you mean the dash cell liner, not the glove box liner, right? Did this mean you had to remove the actual flip-up cover of the dash as well?

Also wanted to confirm that you didnt have to remove the vents or the dash lock.

I hate to be so nit-picky with the details but I just got the car and don't want to damage anything. I'm more used to working on turbo-charged Subarus haha.

#87 ·
I think that what has made things a little confusing is that you say you are working on SL600 which would be an R129 chassis but this thread is in W140 group.

If you are working on R129, then I know what you mean as there is no glovebox.

I assume that you pulled back panel out of sunglasses/phone pod. Is this correct?

With that panel out, you may be able to fish a steel wire down & around the passenger side to where you can see it thru the openings for climate control & radio.

Soft steel wire as is used for wiring rebar in concrete is a good size and is cheap & readily available in hardware store.

Pulling out carpeted knee bolster in R129 is easy; no weird catches like W140. This may help seeing a path upwards. As I say, I think passenger side routing will be better as instrument cluster makes too much complexity on left side.

#88 ·
Resurrecting an old thread. So finally decided to tackle this. So far the 2 that seem good options are Yatour and GROM.

Not too concerned about calls and the mic. 99% of this purchase is for the music BT streaming. The GROM appear to be a little more expensive. Thats not an issue. Apart from price, would anyone recommend one over the other and why? Be as detailed as possible.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.