#1 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: '97 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trunk Opener switch not working (center console)

Does this switch, have connection with PSE pump or just what? why i cant open the trunk by pressing this siwtch arr....... help me pls guys i want this feature to work

1997 - S320 LWB

Mercedes-Benz "The Best or Nothing"

Last edited by Mercedes_S_Class; 05-06-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: ffsd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Trunk Opener switch not working (center console)

Anyone please?

1997 - S320 LWB

Last edited by Mercedes_S_Class; 05-06-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: h
#3 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1992 600SEL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My 91 300SEL had this switch but it also didn't work, and yours is a post-facelift model so it may be different, but here is what I know.

Cars with this feature have an extra vacuum motor in the trunk a few inches to the left of the lock. This is connected to a cam inside the lock via a spring loaded rod. The motor is connected to the same vacuum line as the one that unlocks the trunk but the spring on it is much stronger. When the PSE pump operates for a short time it unlocks first as it has a lighter spring. If the pump continues for a few more seconds enough vacuum is developed to pull the second motor and turn the cam, popping the trunk.

When the switch is pushed the convenience module should activate the PSE pump for about 5 seconds to unlock/pop the trunk.

Assuming your car is the same, can you hear the PSE pump running under the back seat when you press the switch?

Also, when you point the remote at the trunk sensor and press the button twice, does the lid open?

It's only a car

Don't let the opinions of naysayers sway you. Dream, and they will say you're crazy. Succeed, and they will say you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and they will say you're greedy. Pay no attention, their words have no power. Abide by your principles and they will have nothing to wield against you.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlampre View Post
My 91 300SEL had this switch but it also didn't work, and yours is a post-facelift model so it may be different, but here is what I know.

Cars with this feature have an extra vacuum motor in the trunk a few inches to the left of the lock. This is connected to a cam inside the lock via a spring loaded rod. The motor is connected to the same vacuum line as the one that unlocks the trunk but the spring on it is much stronger. When the PSE pump operates for a short time it unlocks first as it has a lighter spring. If the pump continues for a few more seconds enough vacuum is developed to pull the second motor and turn the cam, popping the trunk.

When the switch is pushed the convenience module should activate the PSE pump for about 5 seconds to unlock/pop the trunk.

Assuming your car is the same, can you hear the PSE pump running under the back seat when you press the switch?

Also, when you point the remote at the trunk sensor and press the button twice, does the lid open?
my W140 is pre-97 so the key fob is still the old model so i dont have the remote with the trunk switch. I heard the vacuum sounds when i close my trunk, self close assist on all doors and trunks still works like charm, but i can't lock/unlock cars with the IR receiver my central locking pump is broken i think. When i close the trunk and doors i heard the vacuum sounds is it leaking? because all the doors and trunks close with soft-close just fine.

1997 - S320 LWB

#5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
You don't need a remote with a special button for the trunk, you point the IR fob at the trunk sensor and press the single button twice.

But, if your PSE pump is broken then that is why the trunk release switch does nothing. Do the other dors lock/unlock when you turn the key in the door?

It's only a car

Don't let the opinions of naysayers sway you. Dream, and they will say you're crazy. Succeed, and they will say you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and they will say you're greedy. Pay no attention, their words have no power. Abide by your principles and they will have nothing to wield against you.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You don't need a remote with a special button for the trunk, you point the IR fob at the trunk sensor and press the single button twice.

But, if your PSE pump is broken then that is why the trunk release switch does nothing. Do the other dors lock/unlock when you turn the key in the door?
yea, central lock, but the sound is loud, oh and thanks about the trunk things i just know it lol, but my w140 dont have IR receiver in the door handle and trunks only at the center rear view mirror idk bout that.

1997 - S320 LWB

#7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there. If the light comes on the issue probably is the vacumn unit at the trunk latch. Does it take time to open when you press the key too? If so that probably is it. I know I just went through this issue
#8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
As I understand that there is a solenoid in the lock unlock circuit. The first push of the button on the remote unlocks the doors and trunk pushing the remote again quickly will tripp the solenoid in the line and the unlock pressure from the lock unlock pump will be sent down the line and now also routed to another element attached to the trunk latch which will release the latch, I think the feature was introduced in 95, the switch on the dash acts on the lock unlock pump in a similar fashion
#9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I never saw a solenoid in my 300SEL, but they may have changed it in the facelift. To be sure, you need to take off the boot trim and have a look.

It's only a car

#10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I never saw a solenoid in my 300SEL, but they may have changed it in the facelift. To be sure, you need to take off the boot trim and have a look.
can you help me to take the trunk lining off? i need to make sure if there is IR receiver or not on my w140

1997 - S320 LWB

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class