Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New MB Anti-Freeze and Incompatibility

11K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  slowhands 
#1 ·
Seems MB changed the anti-freeze by superceeding Q1030002 (yellow) with Q1030004 (blue). Unfortunately they are not compatible. Has anyone gone through the procedure of this flush to change to the new fluid? If so how specifically e.g. 2 flushes with distilled water etc.

Or does anyone know how to get the old Q1030002. I looked everywhere and even when on the web site I had them check and " we don't have anymore Q1030002"

What's everyone else out there doing about this?

#3 ·
I was faced with this decision a few months ago. You have two choices:

1.) Get some aftermarket G-05 AF and use it if you're just topping off.

2.) Do a complete cooling system flush and refill with the "new" blue AF from MB.

I had a thermostat replacement in the queue, so I just used that as an opportunity to do a flush and replace with the new MB approved AF. All I did was do a complete cooling system drain, including the block drains from underneath, refill with clear water, run the engine for a short time with the heat on full blast, cool, drain, and repeat. After the second flush I filled with premixed (by me) MB blue AF and tested the concentration when done.

The old "gold" AF is NLA through MB, but you might be able to find some on the shelf somewhere, I guess. Personally I just went ahead and changed it, since it's inevitable that you're going to have to go that route at some point if you're going to follow factory recommendations for fluids.

Dan

#8 ·
The Incompatibility Source

From Autohauz but I have checked with all my other online part sources and all information comes back the same...

Part Number Q1030004

Brand / Description / Restrictions

Genuine Mercedes
Antifreeze/Coolant; Antifreeze; Blue, 1 Gallon
Latest version to comply with MBZ Approval 325.0 for all models, replaces previous Q1030002 version. This coolant should not be mixed with older coolants of any other color.

#7 ·
I remember reading something in the w208 forum a while back about Mercedes stating they ARE compatible The CLK had blue stuff put in it by the dealer a couple years ago, when it came time to change it again I used the older gold stuff I was able to get from my parts guy.

ALL PASSENGER CAR MODELS, COOLANT: For your information, recently the factory started using TWO kinds of engine coolant anti-freeze. The
original one is tinted yellowish and the new one is tinted bluish. Both coolant anti-freezes are compatible with each other.
H. Polz, Service Engineering
HPdg 6-8-99

Apparently it came from either MBZ or the chemical company making the antifreeze. I'm not sure how reliable that is though.

#11 ·
ShimShon: The Rumor is *COMPLETELY FALSE AND MISLEADING!!*

I just got off the phone with the M-B Technicals Department... they say if both Coolants are sheet 325.0, then COLOR DOES NOT MATTER... They ARE Mixable without problem.

I also called my local Dealer connections, and spoke with the Master Tech... he's never heard of such an Incompatability.

Look, even the Fleabay Market has jumped on the Falsehood Bandwagon:

Genuine Mercedes Benz MB Spec 325 0 Engine Blue Coolant Antifreeze 1 Gallon | eBay

Now I can go and change my Undies....

G

#12 ·
G-AMG Thanks Much

G-AMG
Thanks much for getting to the "truth" of the matter. In supporting the forum, I received information about the incopmatibility of the new coolant(albeit bad information) and passed it to our forum for digestion and fact finding. I can't explain why the parts houses would put that incompatibility note on this new part but I suppose there is a lot of incorrect/bad info out there.

Now we on the forum all know the truth and can sleep easy...thanks to you.

S

#13 ·
Shim... All I know is that now *I* can sleep better! Ha HA.

And FYI I *DID* write that "one particular vendor" you quoted, and gave them a heads-up. As a Side-Note.. that one Vendor does NOT purchase the M-B Coolant Directly from MBUSA!! Soooo, they are not getting this mis-information directly from MBUSA.

After reviewing the WIS, this is what I've Uncovered:

It looks as if ALL of the M100, M200, and OM600 Series Engines (Except for a few of the M111 Models) have ALL been switched over to the 15 Year/250.000 Km Change Interval!!
This "Extended" Interval also uses the Sheet 325.0, just like the earlier 3 Year Interval Sheet.

Therefore, the "Blue" Fluid must have Increase Silicate content, or something to that effect.

The bottom line is: BOTH the Yellow and Blue are sheet 325.0, and are Compatable.

#14 ·
They are the same but newer has blue color added. Both have low silicates and are phosphorus free. Newer MB has silicates sachulas in the bottle for extended drain intervals. GM Dexcool is silicate free. As long as G05 such as Valvoline G05 coolant antifreeze you will be fine.

#19 ·
What's the coolant capacity of the engine? How many gallons? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.