#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1995 S600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'95 S600- Control OEM Hydraulic Ride Height?

I own a 1995 Mercedes-Benz S600 Sedan with OEM self leveling hydraulic suspension. I'm trying to figure out a way to control the ride height using the stock suspension. I haven't seen anyone else that has done it besides this guy- No bags, OEM Hydraulics... - StanceWorks

I'm assuming the way to do it would be to bypass the module that controls the SLS system and have something like this-
BAG RIDERS | BILLET SWITCH BOX
with gauges that read out the pressure of each hydraulic cylinder.

Any ideas? I'm guessing I'd need to start off with a diagram of where the module plugs into the wiring harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 1997 S600 (sold)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The self-levelling suspension on the W140 is completely mechanical. No electronics. There is a valve which is connected by a linkage arm to the rear anti-roll bar that adjusts the height. The linkage is adjustable (nut and bolt in the middle of it to make it shorter or longer), so you can pick the ride height that you want to be the "neutral" position. It is only the rear that is self-levelling. The front has no height adjustment.

Brett
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you so much!

So what you're saying is- I can lower the rear of the car and have that be the "normal" ride height by adjusting the nut/bolt ?

So is the front just a normal shock suspension set up then? Or what is it

----------
So I emailed a company, "Hydrophaulics" and the owner told me to look at a compay called "ProgRama"

Ended up finding this-
ProgRama, Lowering Module for Mercedes Benz

It says it's only for 1998 and up, but I just emailed them asking if it could work on my '95.
--------
#4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
There is no electronic control of height on the W140 sedan or coupe. Programa is incorrect on their application listings.

Yes, there is a linkage arm that you can adjust to give a new "normal" height of your choice. It has two halves that slide into one another with a bolt that holds the length. You'll know once you see it... actually, I just remembered my DIY post on replacing it. here it is:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...ing-valve.html

I called it a rare failure in the post, but it might not be so rare for cars driven in winter salt. My S600 spent its first few years in New Hampshire and Massachusetts being driven through the winters. Your linkage arm may be in similar bad shape. You should check it out sooner rather than later.

The front is kind of what you said. It is just a spring and strut, but the strut has a valve attached to it that changes the damping rate. The valve is part of the ADS (Adaptive Damping System). There is no height adjustment to the front struts. The rear struts have height adjustment plus ADS valves.

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 03-21-2013 at 02:20 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Alright, I'll go check it out.

So what's the front suspension type then?
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
You're too fast. I forgot to answer your question about the front. I was editing my post to include that while you were typing.

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 03-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
The alternative is to remove the original shocks and springs and go with aftermarket lowering springs and shocks. You will have to deal with the hydraulic system for the rear struts. You can remove the tandem pump (the combination power steering/suspension pump) from the engine and look into fitting just a simple power steering pump and then remove all the extraneous stuff for the rear self-levelling system (hydraulic lines, accumulators, rear damping valves, the levelling valve, etc). Or you can just leave the tandem pump in place and loop the hydraulic feed line for the rear self-levelling back into the return line and then remove the extraneous stuff in the rear. We have people here who have done that. I've not seen anyone document removing the tandem pump and switching to a simple power steering pump on an S600. I don't know if Mercedes makes a simple power steering pump and required mounting bracket for the S600. You'll have to look into that yourself.

If you remove the ADS struts on an ADS car, you will have a perpetual dash warning lamp indicating there is a failure in the ADS system because it will detect that the solenoid adjustment valves are open circuit. You could just remove the bulb from the instrument cluster so the annoying warning lamp isn't lit constantly.

Brett
#8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I really appreciate all the help. The reason I'm interested in lowering it is because I just bought a set of 19x9 (38 offset) Lorinser RSK-3 wheels. Thinking about putting a wider lip (3" maybe?) on the rear wheels, and a KMAC camber kit just to get a very small amount of camber.

I'm thinking to lower the rear down with the way you mentioned earlier. But the front I'm not sure about, H&R Progressive springs? Bags for just the front? I'd rather not have to alter the car too far from OEM specs, so no removing the whole ADS/SLS system.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Then, maybe just a set of shorter springs for the front or cut the springs as the wagon guy in the link said he was going to do. I didn't read far enough to see if he did it.

Brett
#10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 94 s420 194k miles
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
get lowering springs and adjust the auto leveling to the new ride height.
that programa module is for the newer cars with air ride systems, W220 and up.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class