Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W140 oem 16" alloy wheels 96-99 models & Tire Sizes

32K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Joe-V12 
#1 ·
Anyone have the offset specs for the optional 16" x 8" rear alloy wheels that were available for the 96-99 models. I know the standard wheels were 16" x 7 1/2" with 51mm offset. Best I have been able to determine the 8" optional wheels for the rear only were around a 46mm offset. I want to stay with the original but fill up the wheels well a bit more.

#5 ·
Have to be what he is talking about. They are on my car right now, ( HOW I miss my 19 inch AmG Monoblocks. Kinda). These litter the landscape. Even a quick search on E
bay will reveal a set and the offset. These wheels should lend no mystery.

#10 · (Edited)
Is the factory tire size 225/60/16 or 235/60/16 for the factory non-AMG wheels as in the pictures below??
I am thinking to buy Sports Edition ST3 with 235/55/17 but want to make sure I won't have any rubbing or ABS/ASR issues. Tire rack recommends 225/55/17 for the 17" and told me i can go also with the 235/55/17, any recommendations?

#7 ·
Wheels - old thread

Hi - wonder what solution you found for your car. I want to do the same thing on a 1999 S500 - fill out the back tyre to lessen the "bulky" look of the car. The 8 hole are my favorite as mentioned in the thread - 16x8 may be difficult to find. Were you able to get wide enough in the back to balance the look ? Other options to fit properly ? Just curious. Ned

#18 ·
Now after more research about wheels and tires, notes like below from @bayhas in another thread makes me a little worry about the over all performance of the car.

1- The speedo reading is the last thing I am worried about.

2- the 1.8% is difference in circumference so no further calculations are needed to bring the number further down.

3- the diffrence in the circumference of tires, changes many aspects such as:

-shifting points
-torque
-torque curve and delivery
-braking character
-max speed
-rpm at certain criuse speed.
-Gas consumption
-ESP, and gyrometers will confuse the crap out of it.
-wheel arc clearance (not an issue with W140s, all have same chassis)
-speedo reading (cosmetic)

4- notice that I am not saying do not install after market wheels, I am saying MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO THE FACTORY CIRCURFERENCE.

5-other than the tire circumference, get the rim size you like, with the tire width you like.

6-your speedo is more accurate at measuring your momental velocity than your GPS, have you tries to deaccelerate really quick while monitoring your speed on the GPS? ever noticed that it takes the GPS couple seconds to set to 0 after you have completely stopped?

7-The AC/DC and pulse modulation IC that takes the pulse of the wheel speed sensor AC pulse, and converts it to DC that move the needle is not adjustable by the dealer, at least not through any dealer scanner.

8-if you have a problem as in why 320 needs 225/60/16 (or any other tire with 83.7" circumfrence), and 400-500-600 take 235/60/16 (or any other tire with 85.1" circumfrence), you are barking at the wrong tree... contact Mercedes Benz LLC, tell them they are stupid for going through the hassle of making to tire size lines available at the dealer and factory, and that you have a great solution of installing any size as long as the car "rolls" and tires dont touch the body...

#27 ·
Fyi, it's good to have specs but ive run super light and super heavy tire and wheel setups... on a 5k+ car, makes not an ounce of difference (pun intended). What has drastically affected the steering feel and agility through bends is the length of the tires sidewall which also inversely affects the ride quality. Skinny tires get the best corning results and the worst ride in the W140. Save your money for the PSE pump failures instead brother.

#30 ·
I resisted buying my C140 coupe ('97 CL 600) for that reason. It had 20" Lorenser wheels. Cost the original owner over 6 thousand dollars. I thought I could trade them in at our local wheel shop. No dice! They couldn't imagine a buyer for them. Anyway after the PO dropped the price 2 grand on the car I went for it. Even with new Continentals the ride is not anywhere as good as my old CL500 with 18" wheels.
But they sure look nice!
Anziani

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.