Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1998 CL500 Transmission Issues

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ScapinBenz 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Well, over the past couple of days I have noticed that the transmission in my CL500 will not shift out of 4th gear after 45 mph or above. The rpms just keep climbing and only drop when I take my foot off the accelerator, and yes the shifter is in D, running with S engaged (1st gear start). Is this a sign of internal damage, low fluid, or just electrical issues with the transmission? I have the 722.6 five speed, and have searched around, but haven't been able to figure out what the issue is. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have two warning lamps on, one for low coolant and low washer fluid, both of which are at the respectable levels at the moment. Anyone with some answers or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much guys.

#3 ·
he means it wont upshift

#6 ·
sigh. neither the cheapest way nor the correct way to handle this. but whatever. drain 120$ worth of fluid for giggles sake.

iam getting blisters on my hands typing this. the .6 does not

1. get fixed with new fluid.
2. get the vb clogged. there is nothing to clean!

bet you its dtc 18 or one of the many relating to the cond plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.