Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just Curious...what does your trans sound like in reverse?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BLK95_CL500 
#1 ·
I notice mine makes a mild whirring noise in reverse, i know any car i owned it does that but just making sure its normal

my tranny shifts smooth and perfect all the time, and pops right into gear with no delays at all, so i dont suspect anything is wrong but i still wanna make sure

#4 ·
Except for mine lol.. Mine relies on gravity to roll back quitely at idle.

Damn I really need to get my reverse gear fixed :(

What was wrong with the transmissions from the W126? I hear those were the best, and the last reliable bullet proof built transmissions that Mercedes ever built!

If it was possible, I would drop a transmission from a W126 into my W140 anyday! It would be tons cheaper, and would last longer than the rest of the car!

Mercedes FAILED terribly when they made transmissions for the W140. It was more of a "down-grade" if you ask me..

#5 ·
What was wrong with the transmissions from the W126? I hear those were the best, and the last reliable bullet proof built transmissions that Mercedes ever built!

If it was possible, I would drop a transmission from a W126 into my W140 anyday! It would be tons cheaper, and would last longer than the rest of the car!

Mercedes FAILED terribly when they made transmissions for the W140. It was more of a "down-grade" if you ask me..
126s were 722.3 transmissions as were 1992-95 V8 140s, although carrying perhaps an extra thousand pounds. The 722.5s in the 92 to 96 six cylinder 140s were based on the 722.3 and I think generally pretty long lived with a someone problematic appended electronic 5th gear. The reliability and longevity problem really started with the 722.6 in 1996- V8s and 1997- sixes. Of course things went downhill further with the 722.9 (post-140) and those people now look back fondly at the 722.6 reliability. But Mercedes doesn't care much about transmission longevity anymore - it doesn't really hurt them much with new car sales and leasing and it gets cars off the road later.

#7 ·
Mine whirs too, in reverse only, no shifting issues, no delays. 722.3 is rock solid if treated well. 170k on original box. No leaks either.

#8 ·
Mine only whirls if I'm reversing and accelerating real fast. Normal backing up such as parallel parking produce no whirling sounds.

I do have a whirling sound in P or N. I heard it was normal but to me it is annoying. You guys have whirling sound in neutral/park? I have the 4 speed 722.3

#10 ·
Perhaps another layer of sound insulation under/in the tunnel would help?

#11 ·
Mine whirrs in revers like most cars, but also makes a steady sound while in park or neutral.. my trans needs some love though.. 2nd to 3rd slip and cant fully grab in 3rd.. just slips if you give it throttle... 2nd gear no slip at all..

I'm gonna do the filter and fluid and go from there.. hope I dont have to buy a new/used one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.