Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lower 500SEL question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  blacktusk 
#1 ·
My Lowering springs will be here today as well as my new rubber so I am hoping to have the car finished tonight.

Question: I MAY just lower the front right now, the ride height in the rear looks perfect but the front is monster trucking a bit. Will lowering the FRONT only cause the SLS to freak out?

T.I.A.

#5 ·
Replace with normal (non SLS) shocks, loop the hydraulic line, and if you feel like it you can disconnect the actuator from the sway bar. Any decent car shop will be able to help you loop the line (just give them both ends and tell them to put about 6 inches of SS tube between both ends--if you follow. You will do the actual "looping" of the hydraulic system up in the rear drivers fender well. You will see where the "in/out" lines are. Super easy to do. If I had all the parts, I bet I could have it done in 15 minutes tops and the car back on the road.

#6 ·
From what you described, its most likely that your SLS system has gone sour already..

Either one or both accumulator spheres have popped a diaphram, or even worse you could have one or both broken hydraulic struts. (big $$$$$)..

Before you do any lowering in the front, either fix your SLS system, or put a normal suspension at the back. (Install normal Bilsten shocks AND springs)

Once you get the rear height and ride comfort up to spec, then you can proceed to doing precise lowering.. Otherwise you might lower the front too low, and then when you fix your rear suspension it will sit higher at the back.. You would rather have it level, so fix what is broken..

MB_Fahrer explained how it is done, and if you search this forum you will find MANY DIY thread about this exact same topic..

I actually just did the SLS delete on my S320 two weeks ago, and let me tell you WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! You can feel the smoothness instantly!

Here is my thread about it:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1606071-diy-replacing-rear-sls-struts-normal.html

(only difference is that I did not "loop" my hydraulic lines. I just blocked them off for now.. I hope I will get around to looping it properly. Everything works perfectly though!)

#8 ·
Now changes the equation completely lol..

Do best comrade, let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

#9 ·
on another question, the ECU... there is the BOSCH 512 LH Motronic ECU, what is the E-GAS Controller for?

I read out the Motronic box this afternoon and started to find the maps in that, but what the heck is the E-GAS?

#10 ·
From what I understand about this module (Unfortunately I dont understand it completely)

It controls your fuel functions on the engine.

That is all I know about it lol :surrender:

#11 ·
Got my car lowered today... Thanks to the Benz special tool for the speedy install time!

A small tip for people who want to lower the car themselves, remove the front lower sway bar, this will allow you to pull the spring out super easy.

On the rear, just unbolt the one tie rod that attaches to the front most sway bar as well as the control arm right by the disc brake and the strut bolt right beside it. This will allow you to drop the control arm WAY down and pop the spring out. 20 minutes per side for the rear with this method. Make sure you compress the spring first though or you might lose some teeth LOL.

Lowered both front and rear for those who were wondering what I ended up doing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.