Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Windows won't go up.

14K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  oefvetw124lover 
#1 ·
I just bought a 95 S600 and while figuring out what everything does, I rolled down the rear windows and BOTH will not roll up. Is there some trick or do both now need me to open up the panels?
If so, is there a "How to" anywhere for this? I can't find anything in the manual of how to get the panels off.

Sorry, total newbie and first day with my new toy and already having problems.

#3 ·
Looks like each side is something different. One side only slightly tries to roll the window up, but won't move it past about 1/2 inch. The cord inside doesn't seem to get stuck on something and can't keep going. I can't figure out what it might be getting stuck on.

The other seemed to just push the cord along, but it would get bunched up and not actually move the window. Like it's not connected somewhere. I was able to manually push the window back up and I could electronically roll it back down if needed, but I'd have to open the door back up to get it up again which I won't be doing until it's really fixed. At least it won't get wet in the rain and not stolen.

Any thoughts with this description as to what it could be on the window that won't go up still or the other? Could it be stuck off track or something preventing it from going up at all even manually?

#5 ·
Follow that link Pcmaher posted up, it helped me very much!

When I bought my S320, both rear windows were problematic.

The left one would go down, but not up again. (Just like yours) and the other one did not work at all!

After stripping both panels, I found the left one had the top cable snapped on the window regulator, and the other door had the motor completely off laying at the bottom of the dorr with bits and pieces of the regulator.

Got a replacement regulator with a motor for about $120 at the breakers, (make sure it is the correct side.) Replaced the right door regulator and window works perfectly.

But with the left door that has the same problem as yours, I just repaired the plastic clip and re-attached the cable. Ultimately it would be best to replace the regulator, but in my case I got away with repairing mine. So far has lasted, especially since I hardly ever use the rear windows..

Goodluck with your windows, its generally a simple fix. Pretty straight forward, just follow the steps in that write up..

#6 ·
Im not sure about the W140, but sometimes my dad's camry rear windows wont go up either. I took out the switch, gave it a bit of wd40 to clean it up, and it works like a dream.

sometimes its not the regulator, but the switch with abit of contact issues.

#7 ·
MafiaDon,
I just have this same problem on my Rear Left window. It goes down and now not going back up. Press the Up/Down button and can see the window moves a little bit then nothing at all.
Just wonder where is the plastic clip you talking about. Is it on the cable?

"But with the left door that has the same problem as yours, I just repaired the plastic clip and re-attached the cable. Ultimately it would be best to replace the regulator, but in my case I got away with repairing mine. So far has lasted, especially since I hardly ever use the rear windows.."

Is there any way I can have the window up till the order part comes. I tried to lift the window up but it won't budge.

Hey, my car now can start flawlessly now. Thanks.
--JT

#10 ·
Check if your sunroof works first.
Module is located in the right side of the boot behind panel,long ish black box.It does control all windows and sunroof.Try unPlug it and it should reset.If won't work step by step - best would be to get a module from a working car and try it.If not working problem is alsewhere but I wouldn't believe that all regulators went at the same time.Would be great to take the fault codes it should show what is happening (use someone who has a proper MB program).See how you get on

#12 ·
My rear window would move about 1/8" and no more. I replaced the regulator and no problem after that. It took a bit to get the right size pieces to fit where the rivets where, but it wasn't too hard if you're handy. Now to order the other side one.

Also, you can put the window up by taking the inside door panel off, removing the old regulator and putting in a prop to hold it up until a new regulator comes in. I used an arm from a dry vac that happened to fit perfectly. It won't likely go up with the regulator installed though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.