#1 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W140 air suspension

Anyone know of any reputable sellers out there that sell a whole air suspension kit for the s420? I was thinking about maybe universalairsuspension or accuair but I haven't been able to ask them if they even make it for my model car yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: Enough.
Lifetime Premium Member
Nobody makes a direct fit kit. All have to be welded/installed professionally. Dont touch universal air. It's shoddy from what I've heard. Don't run Firestone bags either--crap quality again. The kit will probably cost about $3k plus install. Just do Bilsteins and H&R springs. Much better bang for your buck and will lower the car more than enough for every day usage, while keeping it drivable and easy to fix as stock. Plus with the Bilsteins you'll get a sportier feel. I was going to do air suspension myself; bought the kit from Ridetech. I have decided against it. Bilsteins and H&R's are the definite way to go. You can mess around with spring shims (I've found that I'm happy with 8mm front shims and 18mm rears but you could do 2-4mm fronts and 8-13mm rears and the car will be plenty low.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: JP W140, Germany Imported W140(Fully Optioned), R230 SL600, W464 G500, W210 E320 Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer View Post
Nobody makes a direct fit kit. All have to be welded/installed professionally. Dont touch universal air. It's shoddy from what I've heard. Don't run Firestone bags either--crap quality again. The kit will probably cost about $3k plus install. Just do Bilsteins and H&R springs. Much better bang for your buck and will lower the car more than enough for every day usage, while keeping it drivable and easy to fix as stock. Plus with the Bilsteins you'll get a sportier feel. I was going to do air suspension myself; bought the kit from Ridetech. I have decided against it. Bilsteins and H&R's are the definite way to go. You can mess around with spring shims (I've found that I'm happy with 8mm front shims and 18mm rears but you could do 2-4mm fronts and 8-13mm rears and the car will be plenty low.
not true. I know and have first hands on experience with a direct fit kit made specific for our cars, it is truly the best build kit on the market and can also adjust the dampening which NO other kits on market can!

also, I partially agrees on the installation. if the kit is bad quality or mix-n-match piece together kits then you might definitely need help on install by professionals. but if you get a name brand high quality kits then you will not need welding/cutting/fabricating of any sorts. if you know how to install shocks and springs then you know how to install air suspension-granted, you must know little bit of electrical wirings like groundings and +/-

since I am not a sponsor on this site nor do I get commission, if you like more info pm me so I can point you in right direction

Last edited by davidsong77; 05-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsong77 View Post
not true. I know and have first hands on experience with a direct fit kit made specific for our cars, it is truly the best build kit on the market and can also adjust the dampening which NO other kits on market can!

also, I partially agrees on the installation. if the kit is bad quality or mix-n-match piece together kits then you might definitely need help on install by professionals. but if you get a name brand high quality kits then you will not need welding/cutting/fabricating of any sorts. if you know how to install shocks and springs then you know how to install air suspension-granted, you must know little bit of electrical wirings like groundings and +/-

since I am not a sponsor on this site nor do I get commission, if you like more info pm me so I can point you in right direction

Oh yes I completely forgot about what you said, thanks for reminding me! I will PM you soon. I am buying a C-class to get cracking on
#5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes S500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsong77 View Post

true that ...i had a 94 s420 on bilsteins and hr springs with low profile tires and still rode harsh....with air or hydros (which is almost a bolt-on) the car is way lower + lower profile tires+ rides very cushy even when almost fully dumped......

1999 MERCEDES S500. www.Vipstylecars.com/forums/
#6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEDW140 View Post
true that ...i had a 94 s420 on bilsteins and hr springs with low profile tires and still rode harsh....with air or hydros (which is almost a bolt-on) the car is way lower + lower profile tires+ rides very cushy even when almost fully dumped......
Mine still rides "cushy" with the Bilsteins and H&Rs. Everyone who sees how low it is comments how nice the ride is when they are in it. I'm running a 30 sidewall front and rear on 20x9.5" Lorinser D93's (265/285)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W140Luv View Post
Anyone know of any reputable sellers out there that sell a whole air suspension kit for the s420? I was thinking about maybe universalairsuspension or accuair but I haven't been able to ask them if they even make it for my model car yet.
Air is a whole lot harder to install than hydros and bags leak and tear ...just as hydros have its disadvantages however having ridden on springs and hydros I prefer the later........if u want a 1 inch drop go for springs...if u want to be slammed and still have a very nice ride hydros is the answer.....

#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for all your guys inputs. I am thinking about putting on hydros now due to the fact that I am merely looking to drop my car than for the performance and handling aspect of it. This is not going to be my daily driven car anyway but rather just a weekend warrior. I'm most likely going to go get it done professionally.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W140Luv View Post
Thank you for all your guys inputs. I am thinking about putting on hydros now due to the fact that I am merely looking to drop my car than for the performance and handling aspect of it. This is not going to be my daily driven car anyway but rather just a weekend warrior. I'm most likely going to go get it done professionally.
this is the height i drive daily (sometimes even lower) performance and handling is superb----this technology was or is utilized in citroens....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1041.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	376843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1040.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	376844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1037.jpg
Views:	1815
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	376845  

#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
^^ Very clean ride. Do you mind messaging me where you got your hydros?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class