Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Turn signals make no sound but work?

27K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  modasy1 
#1 ·
My turn signals on the 95 500 are working but they do not make the clicking sound to let you know they are on. The green arrows do still flash though.

Any ideas?

Kevin

#2 ·
Because W140.

^lol on a more serious note, that is very interesting. Does it feel any different when enabling/engaging the turn signal/using the windshield wipers? maybe something got dislodged?

#3 ·
Forget the green arrows on the cluster, do your actual indicators outside the car work? Switch on one indicator at a time and walk around your car to confirm that everything trully is working. Do the same for the "Hazard" switch..

If it everything works, then you dont have to worry about it at all.. But if not, my best bet its the indicator relay..

#4 ·
The indicators outside the car work perfectly including Hazards. It is just the clicking sound they use to make it gone.

Where is the indicator relay located?

Kevin

#6 ·
ok im not sure where the indicator relay is located on the W140.. Though im almost 100% certain that is the thing which makes that clicking sound.. It might be in the dash somewhere near the drivers side. but thats just a guess from my knowledge of it in other cars...

#7 ·
It has happened before but would correct its self in a few hours or a day. This time it has been 4 days. *shakes head in frustration*

Kevin

#10 ·
no.. I seriously doubt that.. theres no speaker involved, that clicking is a mechanical switch within the actual relay... (Im about 80%)

#9 ·
Did a search with no luck. Maybe someone eles will have more info or remember.

#13 ·
From what I remeber these relays are not too expensive, and there is no actual way of repairing. (I could be wrong, stand to be corrected)

The best thing in this case would be just to replace it since its a relay. these things dont usually break. So once you popped a new one in, your click should be back and the indicators should flash normally..

The relay looks like a little plastic box, around the size of one or two boxes of matches.. It has a plug at the bottom, where there 4 or 5 wires plug into. Its a small part, not a module of any sort.. For other cars these things can be as cheap as $5, so for the W140 I doubt it will be too much..

Thats why in this case dont waste time with repairs you probably wont get right anyway, just replace it and the problem is fixed. Of course just first confirm the location of this relay. Wish I could be more of help, but I really cant give you a definate answer about where it is. if you do find out, please also let us know..

#14 ·
Yes it definitely is something mechanical. If its as simple a relay it will be replaced right away. Just need to know WHERE TO FIND IT!

#15 ·
I also had this problem about a year ago. Mine goes silent sometimes, sometimes it clicks back normally and goes away. It is purely mechanical, when it is working I can hear the click like its in the cluster. It was very annoying for me. I didn't mind it being quiet all the time, but if it was on and off, it was irritating. Fortunately the problem went away, although randomly goes silent for a few seconds every now and then. I made a thread about it and someone made fun of me saying something about adding blinker fluid. Thanks to people like that, I didn't further investigate and here we have more people with the same issue =P

Anyways, I would really like to follow this and find out what it is that is broken. I was thinking it was something in the instrumental cluster, but if it is definitely a cheap box to replace, I am all for it.

#16 ·
Same issue here. Sometimes mine would make the clicking noise when on, but more often it would not. It would flash and work but no sound. Not sure if issue connected, but today my left signal stopped working altogether. It finally flashed off-tempo (with no sound) about 4 times), then went off and didn't come back on. No exterior signal working either. The passenger side still works fine. I am hoping it is just a bulb, but I am sure it is not that simple... nothing is with these cars.

#17 ·
To make it even more interesting, my radio will turn off when I turn on the left side signal... or the radio will randomly turn off and turn back on when I turn on the left signal.

Puh.

#18 ·
SLK R172 No indicator sound/noise

I had this problem and found that the sound is made by the speaker in the console. It was an easy fix just opened it up ready to read the speaker with a DVM but to my surprise the little connector was hanging off :) pop back on and now it has the noise back and the seat belt warning etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.