BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
how to remove headrest to install sheepskin cover

I bought a sheepskin cover from Adsit, for the seat and back of front passenger seat.
I can't figure out how to take the headrest off to install the back portion of the cover.
The driver's seat already has a cover, with two small holes in the sheepskin and the chrome legs of the headrest go through them. So somehow I figured out (a few years ago) how to detach the headrest,make the two holes, install the cover and then reinsert the headrest .

Any help on this would be appreciated. I thought there might be some release button but can't find it, and the manual does not address this. As you know, the headrests are power adjustable from the side panel controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMT123 View Post
I bought a sheepskin cover from Adsit, for the seat and back of front passenger seat.
I can't figure out how to take the headrest off to install the back portion of the cover.
The driver's seat already has a cover, with two small holes in the sheepskin and the chrome legs of the headrest go through them. So somehow I figured out (a few years ago) how to detach the headrest,make the two holes, install the cover and then reinsert the headrest .

Any help on this would be appreciated. I thought there might be some release button but can't find it, and the manual does not address this. As you know, the headrests are power adjustable from the side panel controls.
Raise the headrest to its highest position. On the seatback, there is a round button (Look about 1/3 of the way down the seatback, near the middle-right side...you'll see a circular depression about the size of a quarter....press and hold that button and pull up on the headrest...it should slide right out.)

To replace headrest, hold that "button" in while sliding the HR back into position. It should positively engage into the mechanism. Adjust HR as needed.

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 85,600 miles
#3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, '68 VW Fiberglass Dune Buggy, '05 Black CL55 AMG Coupe.
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMT123 View Post

You have to make sure that the button "pops" out. The button does not automatically "pop" out on all cars when you raise the headrest, sometimes you have to tap the head rest control on the panel up or down to get the headrest bar to release the button in the right position. Also...lower the seat back...when you try and take the headrest out...if the seat back is not lowered...the top of the headrest will hit the roof and you can't remove it....pull it out straight or you risk breaking the plastic clips on the release button. Don't force it out...if you have to use force...the button is not releasing the headrest.

Last edited by Benica; 09-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
(Thread Starter)
Cool

Thanks both for the advice. Will let you know if it works!!

TG,Phoenix
1992 500SEL, 106K original miles,Mobil 1 the past year.,
#5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1995 S600 (sold)
V12 Uber Alles, Repairing the Front Power Seat Head Rests in a W140 Mercedes Benz

1995 S600, 1 of 618 (sold)

"Speed is just a question of money...how fast you wanna go?"

LONG LIVE THE W140!
Visit my Web Page at http://v12uberalles.com
#6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, '68 VW Fiberglass Dune Buggy, '05 Black CL55 AMG Coupe.
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sure, the article is correct....if the plastic piece is broken and needs repair.
But you asked how to remove the headrest. And in all the repair shops that I have been in, including the stealerships...er....dealerships....I have seen them do the same thing....lower the seat back...raise the headrest until the button pops out and pull the headrest straight up. You go to the seat cover shop and if they install the seat covers, they will do the same thing and not remove the seat back unless there is a problem.
Anyway, the link you posted is great!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class