Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hood latch wont release: Please Help

29K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Perkunas 
#1 ·
After replacing the idler pulley for the serpentine belt last week, I tried to open my hood... and it won't release. To be more specific, the right hand (passenger) side wont release.

I had to pull the upper radiator support off to get to the idler pulley and I must have messed something up putting it back together. When I try to open the hood the left (driver) side released, however the right side did not.

I have searched the forums and, quite frankly, some of the answers to this problem truly suck.

I have tried pulling on the handle in the grill and jacking the hood around, I have tried having someone pull on the hood release in the car and jacking the hood around. I have tried lifting, pushing down, etc... I cannot get it open.

Now the driver side will not re-latch, so the hood is kind of opened on one side.

Can anybody tell me if there is another release point up under the grill or something that I may be able to get to, to be able to release the catch.

I already know I need to lubricate it and all that stuff like some people have answered in the forums, but that really does no good if you cant get to it.

Thanks for any insight anybody can provide.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
OK, I got it figured out.

I had to take off the plastic shield thingy on the bottom of the car that covers the bottom of the front of the motor (plastic skid plate maybe).

Looking up on the driver side I could see the driver side latch, and the cable that goes to the passenger side was not in it's groove. I pulled on the cable going toward the passenger side and the hood unlatched... finally.

It appears that these are run in series, with the cable coming from the lever inside the car to the driver side latch and then continuing on to the passenger side. The cable has a groove it fits in so the inner cable moves inside the outer cable jacket to pull on the latch.

After getting the hood open I removed the driver side latch and placed the cable back into its groove. After testing the closing operation many times and lubricating it, I shut the hood and it works. both opening and closing... woo hoo.

One thing I noticed was the hood lever inside the car would not go back to it's resting position very well and it kind of felt loose when I was pulling on it (like there was no tension) and the driver side latch would operate.

Sorry I dont have the technical terms for the plastic cover part or the cable (I know there is a name for these, but I cant rememebr it...doh), but if you have this problem, that is how to fix it.

The photo below is of the driver side latch when you look up from below and you can see the groove the cable should go into on the right.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Hold your hair on!

Just another example of what the value a good relationship with the dealer can be.

You're not playing with Tonka toys anymore. Let the skilled professionals service your car. Concentrate your time on how to make the money to pay for the professionals to keep your car up and you'll be all set and looking at the situation the way you should be.

Unless, of course, you turn a wrench for a living, but then if you did, these kinds of things wouldn't happen....

#4 ·
Hold your hair on!

Just another example of what the value a good relationship with the dealer can be.

You're not playing with Tonka toys anymore. Let the skilled professionals service your car. Concentrate your time on how to make the money to pay for the professionals to keep you car up and you'll be all set and looking at the situation the way you should be.

Unless, of course, you turn a wrench for a living, but then if you did, these kinds of things wouldn't happen....
So your answer is to take the car to the dealer??? Thanks for the great input, I dont know how I could have fixed this without your help!!!! Keep taking your car to the dealer to keep them in business... as for myself, I like to make sure things are done correctly.

#5 ·
Why would a dealer do their work INcorrectly? if they do, they know you'll only bring the car back to them. Look, I'm not trying to upset you, but really, do you think the dealer would let your car go out the door with that kind of problem? Really?

Let's just say they did. You would bring the car back to them when you found out you couldn't open the hood, they would get you a loaner, or pick up/deliver your car back to you, all without charge!

Dealers aren't perfect, but they're better than indies, and the premium to use them is NOT as high as you might think. Especially if you work with them on a regular basis.

Doesn't that make the most sense? They have all the parts, can get exactly what you need and in a very reasonable time period.

Look, I've tried fixing things myself, I've tried Indies, and I've worked with two dealerships, and I find myself valuing my time the most, so I take my cars to the dealer when there's an issue beyond the routine. Otherwise, an Indie that you trust can handle the oil changes and the odd loose bolt or two.

You just have to know how to maneuver when you're doing business, like anything else. But always value your time over anything else. The question of who to take the car to or how to deal with an issue will resolve itself when you look at your time as something valuable.

#24 ·
"QUOTE=Stryker-1999 S600 As for the TBA, here's what I found with the one I had to replace: the NEW part from MB cost $5500. That's right, $5500 for the part. It comes with a 1-year warranty.This forum recommended a rebuilder in MA, who offered to rebuild mine for $250, and that service came with a LIFETIME WARRANTY."

You contradict yourself Stryker-1999 S600. I guess its OK to use an Indy for your car but not for other members of this forum.

#7 ·
Way to go Valu8or, Thanks for sharing the tip on going in from beneath the engine. I also try to fix as much as possible on these cars. I found out the other day mine was only worth about $2500. No sense in spending hundreds of bucks at the dealer if I can have some fun figuring it myself.

#8 ·
Y'know, with that kind of approach, you'll be able justify using chewing gum and bailing wire pretty soon. And that's why most W140's I see on the road are looking like crap. Because most owners don't treat them like the $100k cars they WERE.

Why not think of them as $100k cars that you happen to own for a steal, and maintain them that way? If you don't, you'll justify using them for dump runs and filling them up with 2x4's from Home Depot.

Cheeesh!

#9 · (Edited)
What a tool!!!!

Many of us are auto enthusiasts and actually enjoy working on our vehicles. I was going to leave this alone, but now that you piped back in with your holier than thou attitude I have some questions for you.

Why have you had to try multiple dealers and indies???? These are the all knowing, all doing magicians of the Mercedes Benz world that you are so highly touting... They never do wrong and know more than me, or anybody else on this forum (at least that's what you appear to be saying), so why would you have to go to different ones?

As an enthusiast I value the time I "get" to do stuff on this car... My car is in perfect condition and will stay in perfect condition because "I" make sure things are right with it. I originated this post in this forum because I was having a problem and I was wondering if someone else had similar problems and could lead me in the right direction. I figured it out and posted how I fixed it just in case someone else has a similar problem. That's what a forum is for, and enthusiasts appreciate it.

I am happy that you feel your time is more important doing other things, I wonder why your time may not be better spent doing things besides posting on this forum???

Just because you cannot repair your car to the standard that the car deserves, does not mean that others of us on here can't either. Maybe you tried to use bubble gum and baling wire to fix yours, but I can assure you I know more about this car then you ever will and this car will last much longer for me than your "dealer serviced" car will, because I actually care about my car.

Once again I want to thank you for your excellent insight and contribution to this post.... I don't know how I, or anyone else who can actually repair a car, could have done without your help in this matter.

Maybe next time, if you can't actually make a non asinine contribution that may actually prove helpful in a post, you could stay out of my posts... That would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

#10 ·
Well said valu8tor,
The purpose of this forum for me, and probably most other people, is to learn common failures for this marque and how to fix them. I have more free time than money ,so I gladly spend the time to fix it myself.Let me tell you that as a dealer tech, nobody cares about your car more than you do. There are just as many hacks working at dealers as there are at indy's. Many dealers are also flat rate, so the incentive is to get your car in and out as fast as possible and on to the next one.I hate the flat rate system,because it values speed over quality.As an owner you have an interest to keep your car in great shape, and you can spend the time it takes to make it perfect.If you don't have the time or talent to fix it yourself, then this forum is probably not of much use.Take the car wherever you like.:thumbsup:keep posting those fixes,valu8tor!

#11 ·
Stryker, are you okay ? I know what you're saying, but your, uh, "tone" is a little, oh, "strong" ? We know you're passionate about this, esp being an S600 owner. Lack of sleep maybe ? I get that way.

#12 · (Edited)
Awww, c'mon guys, you're going to hurt my feelings!

No disparagement was meant to anyone. Entertain another viewpoint once in a while, willya?

Valu8tor asked for how to best fix a problem and I suggested the best way I know. If Limelight has more time than money, that's terrific, but what do you do when you need the special tools many of the MB repairs require? Punt?? I appreciate that you were a dealer's tech (is that a mechanic?), but we all approach life's challenges in our own way. I prefer to handle it through people I hire (dealer/indie) and if they fail me, I change them out. That's the way I take care of my (things). With professionals. Who take responsibility for what they do and know how to keep my business by offering me value and save me hassles. Hassles like finding my hood cables screwed up. Isn't that a hassle, less a mechanical screw-up than a hassle??

I can appreciate that others might like to 'tinker' and anyone who wants to do that is welcomed to play in their own sandbox. The request was for a suitable solution to a specific problem Valu8tor had and I offered what I would do.

As for responding on this forum, I enjoy the repartee. It is truly a pleasure to interact with everyone seeking to keep an out-of-production iconic automobile in good working order. And for that goal, I make the time.

#13 ·
Well, here's a bit more repartee.

I guess we can all entertain another viewpoint once in a while but when it's provided in such a patronising, head-patting, belittling way...'not playing with Tonka toys', 'tinker', 'play in their own sandbox'.... the first reaction is to want to throw up and, the second, to get angry. Valu8or's approach is no different to that of many members of this Forum, so he's not the only one to feel the bite.

If one's not too arrogant or incompetent to get one's hands dirty - and maybe also has an interest in how things work - then fixing it oneself and paying someone else when one can't seems a perfectly sane way of maintaining a 140 to me. If all you do is take your car to a mechanic then you are of rather less value to the Forum than guys like valu8or who have new, practical information and experience to communicate.

As for the value of your time, when the door close-assist unit stops closing one of your doors or the trunk lid, try taking it to an M-B main dealer and see what they charge to fix it. Over here they would fit a new pump unit for about £600 to £700 (I'm a bit out of touch). But using the information available on this Forum, you could remove the unit, open the case (an M-B dealer won't do this), adjust the pump cut-off switch and re-install the unit in about the same time as it would take you to drive to and from a dealer. The effective value of your time in making this adjustment would be of order $1000 an hour after income tax. I'm not a corporate lawyer, financier or professional footballer so that seems pretty good value for my time to me.

Mike

#14 ·
Gentlemen:

Where was your righteous indignation when the discussion turned to 'stealerships' and other disparaging words for the one entity in the world charged with keeping our cars going? How would you like to be owning a SAAB right now, or a HUMMER, or a PONTIAC, ISUZU, SATURN, OLDSMOBILE? Think you'll be able to get spare parts for those cars from a reliable source for a 5-year old car, let alone a soon-to-be 20-year old car???

The forum is NOT just for wannabe mechanics or frustrated 140-owners without the resources to properly care for their cars and looking for mending them on the cheap. That may be one diminsion, but there's more here than those folks.

The forum is also for people with real lives who value their time, do hobbies other than fix cars, have families, run busnesses and in general, do 'other stuff', who happen to be W140-afficianados, like me.

I'm also seeing the frustration of the wannabes and they take them out on their cars, which isn't right-thinking. The PO of my sedan tried replacing or fixing the light bulbs in the dashboard and didn't have the right pick-tools to take out the fascia, so I have a nice (annoying) scratch in the leather that I can't fix without replacing the dashboard. Why? Because the PO 'improvised'.
But you know what? If I want to replace my dashboard, which I'm thinking about, at least I have the part available to me from the dealer. Pricey, yes, but it is available. Many of you may not realize that the dealership network is what keeps our cars in service and the company backs up all of its products from the very first to the very last. NOBODY else does that.

So to those who have a desire to work on their cars, terrific, and my words should not discourage that. But that might be because you're not aware of the benefits of "letting the PROS do it'. And that's where I'm trying to be a source of enlightenment, that's all!

Carry on!

#18 ·
Gentlemen:

So to those who have a desire to work on their cars, terrific, and my words should not discourage that. But that might be because you're not aware of the benefits of "letting the PROS do it'. And that's where I'm trying to be a source of enlightenment, that's all!

Carry on!
So the distilled wisdom from this source of enlightenment is: 'if your car needs fixing take it to the dealer'. Why this gem had to be communicated in such an offensive manner is hard to imagine; why it was offered at all gives pause for thought. If any Forum member has psychoanalysis as one of their 'hobbies', they must be enjoying this one.

#15 ·
You mean you don't call a licensed electrician over to your house to replace a light bulb when it burns out? Well that just seems foolhardy to me, don't you know they stand behind their work? Sure it may cost you 300 dollars but it is money well spent, you could try replacing it yourself, but you are taking a big risk. Still, if you must tinker in your sandbox..............lol
Seriously, this 'dealer as God' talk has to stop. Your love of dealers is noted Stryker, let's move on to posting actual fixes for problems now.

#16 ·
And when servicing our cars becomes as simple as exchanging lightbulbs, I will gladly forego the dealership route.

Until that time, I'd rather argue with a dealer over my cost of services knowing they were done with a useable (and transferable) warranty, than live in the hope that I or some corner mechanic has done them correctly at the savings of nickels.

Because, Limelight, at the end of the day, we're not really talking about exchanging lightbulbs, are we?? We're talking about cars we use everyday, and/or that we entrust our wives or children to. And they're worth the delta of a few dollars.

Would you want to know the plane you're flying on was serviced by a factory trained mechanic, or the pilot (who's not a certified mechanic) made the necessary repairs himself? Isn't that a better analogy than the lightbulb?

#17 ·
Oh well, might as well jump in

Stryker:

You ascribe far more skill and knowledge to most of the Benz Dealer Mechanics who were not even mechanics when our 11-19 year old cars were built. Now, they run the codes, look up the problem in the same manuals available to all of us and follow the instructions. Yes they have the parts, but those are available to the DIYers at the same counter.

You have one set of values---maximize the dollar value of the time you expend on whatever activity you undertake. That not a bad set of values---very american and capitalistic. Others have different values---enjoy the satisfaction of working on a problem, solving it with one's personal effort and gaining knowledge of the operation of one's car at the same time---also not a bad set of values.

Are your values more right than the values of the DIYer---NO---just different.

Additionally, there are people on this forum who have every bit as much knowledge and skill as the best Benz Dealer "Service Technician." With their pictures and DIY instructions one can do just as complete and excellent a job as the Dealer. Personally, I would much prefer Bayhas, or Brett or the Mercedes Mechanix work on my car than the Benz Dealer. You prefer the dealer. Who is "right" and who is "wrong?" I am right to prefer my method and you are right to prefer your method. QED

Telechronos:):):)

1999 S500 Grand Edition
1984 380 SL
1955 MG TF1500
1969 Factory Stick, Factory Tri-Power Pontiac Grand Prix SJ

#19 ·
I always thought it was common knowledge that we can take our car to the dealer to fix something. Hell, why have these forums and DIY articles, just take it to the dealer!

It is your opinion, that the best way to fix something is to take it to the dealer, and like magic, your car comes back with the problem remedied. Right?

To some others, they like to know what was wrong. What caused the problem, what the solution was. How to fix it should the problem arised again. Etc Etc.

I am not saying the dealership is a bad place, yes, they have the resources, the tools, whatever is needed to fix your car. But, it isn't okay to talk down to someone who thinks it's more valuable to work on his car. Not everyone is a grease monkey. Some people are as technical as the technicians at the dealership when it comes to working on the cars. They torque bolts to torque specs where others will just tighten it by feel. Hell, a lot even torque lug nuts to spec. How many shops do you see do this?

Its not a bad thing, to know your car in and out. To know what is wrong, and how to fix it. Why? What happens if you get stranded because something broke down. Can you fix it on the spot? Or are you going to call the dealer and pay your way out of it. It is a good thing to be handy.

Now, I am not saying your suggestion to OP is bad. But the OP came to the forums to find out what is needed to undo his hood. How do you decided when to go to the dealer, or if a job could be a DIY? You come to the forums where people share their experiences.

I disagree with you on the assumption you made that everyone who chooses to fix their car on these forums are going to do it CHEAP, ie bubble gum. Seriously?

I also disagree with these forums being for people who have busy lives, better things to do, no time to work on the car. This isnt a forum for grandma nor is it a social lounge.

Everyone could just go to any thread and say "Take it to the dealer". What use is that?

It is almost like telling the kid to cheat off his friend when he asks you about a math problem.

Reactions: 4wdave
#20 ·
Before we fall completely off the rails...

Having seen some of the work product of the DIY-crowd up-close, I would forego further attempts.

Knowing that some of our procedures require special tools and/or analytical equipment, I would forego anything but routine maintenance by others without those tools.

I would never allow a 'junior mechanic' to work on my car. I interview anyone working on my car and if the mechanic isn't knowledgable about my car, I refuse to let him work on it. You see, at the dealer's repair service, there's a choice of who CAN work on your car.

Ok, so some of you choose not to have the dealer work on your car because you seem to enjoy the 'sport' of fixing your own car. That's great. How many of you sporters actually have the tools to do it right? A lift, even? As stated, if you already are a mechanic, that's one thing. But a non-professional attempting major repairs on a complex automobile in his driveway, well, that's just wrong, and yes, that's my opinion. Not that you can't do it, but that you can't possibly do it right without the right training and tools and environment. And sometimes, those DIY'ers get fed up with their mess and then try to sell their cars to others who eventually wind their way to us here.

I recently had to get one of my MAF sensors replaced. List price from the dealer: $5500 for ONE (each of my cars have TWO). It was the recommendation from someone on this forum that guided me to a rebuilder who took the part and returned it fully refurbished for only $250. The car was at the dealer for the diagnosis/repair (among other things), and when I told them about the rebuilder, they took out the already installed new part and sent my original to the rebuilder and it came back working perfectly! The new part came with a one-year warranty; the rebuilt part came back with a lifetime warranty. For that tip alone, this forum is worth the price of admission so I fully value the advice available here, and once again, wish no disparagement of anyone.

But when silly mistakes, like getting your hood release cables mixed up, gets posted on this exchange, it's time to consider hanging up the tool belt and getting to a professional. For safety's sake!

#21 ·
I agree. No amateur should be attempting major repairs. In my opinion, I think it is pretty straight forward to do simple replacement/repairs. For example, I don't think replacing your headlight lenses, air filters, wipers, serpentine belt, washer fluid, checking to see if a fuse is blown, should be taken to the dealer. I mean, those are pretty straight forward.

Next stage I would say goes to changing window regulators, replacing sensors ie MAF, spark plugs and plug wires, blower regulator, change oil and filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, radiator, coolant hoses, and cluster bulb replacements. These require tools a normal person might not have, and some skills and knowledge. Still pretty straight forward, but more potential to screw up.

Then theres the harder stuff that amateurs shouldn't attempt, such as brakes, transmission work, any work involving opening up the engine (ie oil guide replacement, headgasket etc), power steering work, the list is endless now. There are some DIY articles on these things, but I don't think an amateur should attempt these even after reading the articles because there is a bigger margin of error, and mistakes can cause huge damage/accident/death. This is when a professional should take over.

Again, the purpose of these DIY articles is not to encourage members on here to perform DIY projects, espeically hard ones. I think these DIY articles give you an idea of what the tasks are in the project, the tools needed, and to show the difficulty of the task at hand. Its very helpful for someone who might not know how hard or easy a job is, to find the article and go through it to see whether he could do it himself or not.

For example, I have some electrical knowledge, I know how to solder etc. I can go to radioshack and build a home made code reader (which I will be doing this weekend) so I can pull codes on my own, rather than drive 40 minutes to a dealer and get charged to read a code. It's a pretty straight forward job, not likely going to make my car explode if something goes wrong or risk my life.

#22 ·
I would just like to apologize to the mods and to anyone who may read this in the future, thinking there is more than one page of information concerning getting a hood open on a w140 car.

It is ridiculous that I asked a question, and then a few hours later answered my own question (with a photo of what I was talking about and everything). Then some tool decided to pop in the post and answer the question with "take it to the dealer". (Quality post there... whats your post count now??? Feel self important enough yet????)

Well, thanks for nothing... I didn't have to take it to the dealer, I did some tearing apart and found out how to get it open (btw, the exact same way the dealer would have done it). I posted an answer for anyone in the future who may have this same problem and then all this happened.

Stryker's answer was uncalled for and quite frankly stupid. If someone wants to check their oil and their hood may not open, they can come and find this post and figure out how to do it. Some people may have more money than brains and would take it to the dealer to check their oil for about $100, but most normal people probably wouldn't. I do know I would love to have a shop around where he lives... cha ching!!!!

I have been a mechanic for over 30 years, so I am not some backyard hillbilly bumpkin like he is making some of us out to be. Just a hint.. If you do not know someone background, don't question the quality of work they do.

Is is a shame this post had to come to this, but now it seems like this was posted in some Neon forum and we are talking about fart cans... this is truly sad.

I would hope the mods can erase everything after the correct answer (post # 2) and keep this forum form becoming a bunch of bickering little children... those forums are out there and if that is what you enjoy, please frequent them... maybe this forum can become something a little bit better than that!!!!!

#23 ·
Just now saw the post, thought I'd throw in my 2c

This has happened to both of my 140s. The cable stretches over time, nothing you can do about it. Also, if the nose-droop of the hood gets bent in any way, it will lift/misfit the latches to where they bind on the catch mechanism.

I got one to release by unattaching the cable at the drivers side, then pulling real hard with pliers. The other required some finesse. For this one, I had a long pick set in the tool box, one of which had a loop on the end. They are about 14" long. I fished the hook just above the radiator and grabbed the cable and pulled - it released.

On both cars I replaced the cable ($21.00 from the dealer). On both cars, the dealer would have charged time and materials - it's what they're in biz for. I imagine it would have been ~ 2 hours, or $260.00 around here.

Good luck -

#27 ·
Since this thread is the first search result I'll bump it by putting my info here.

I was over helping Matt yesterday on his newly acquired S420 when the classic "hood will only open on one side" happened. He didn't do anything, just went to open it. Through the opening under one side of the hood I could see that the cable was dislodged from it's intended position. OK his cable is probably dry but something didn't seem right.

So I took a look at mine tonight. It is working perfect, is smooth and is well greased but this is what I found:

The noses of the outer of the cable are partially broken, ready to completely break at any time (there is a third nose that was too hard/I was too lazy to photo). No doubt when they break off the cable is free to fall down away from the intended position. When that happens the cable then doesn't have the counter-force of the outer to act on the latch.

After seeing this I used some ties to hold the cable in position if any of the plastic noses break completely. The best fix is obviously to replace the cable assembly.

Reactions: MAVA
#28 ·
good info on this thread

good info on this thread
I know have the same problem
I checked the oil on Sun- its amazing what can happen in 72 hours !

Reactions: MAVA
#33 ·
another problem

i didnt want to start a new thread for this
but my passenger rear window is stuck and may be off track
I can hear the motor going but the window will not go up

an suggestions / courses of action I should take ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.