Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can I use a 1999 benz radio in a 1993 benz? please please help!!

730 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Merc600sec 
#1 ·
I own a 1993 500SEL in totally mint condition. The other day I came across a cassette radio and cd changer pulled from a 1999 C230 Kompressor and I bought them both. My question is would I be able to use the radio and cd changer from the 99 benz on my 93 benz? Currently my 93 has an alpine radio installed by the previous owner which sounds great but I want to bring some originality back to the car (I'm not a big fan of aftermarket radios) Bottom line: can it be done or not? Or would it be too much trouble and not worth it? The man I bought the radio from will give me the money back if I can't do it. Thank you in advance for any help given!

#2 ·
There are a great number of posts about this topic, some generated by my questions of the same thing.

The short story is that 92-3 are in a league by itself, 94 up are different so if you would want to use any radio or component from the latter group of cars you would need to move the entire system, speakers, head unit, amp etc., everything.

The early system is a unique bird, incompatible with the latter.

Steve A

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Since it would involve moving all components from the newer car over to the older one I really don't see myself going through with the whole operation. My interior looks like nobody ever even sat in it and you can tell it's never been dismantled I've looked for defects like striped bolts, screws, anything that is off centered. So I want to leave it as untouched as possible. But it was a nice thought. Thanks again for helping me out before I took a chance I might have regretted later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.