Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ECU Chip Installation

30K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  1994v12 
#1 ·
As Promised here is the Info for the ECU Chip .
How it looks and Where does it go into .
The 1st 5 Pics is the Original MB W140 ECU Chip , Philippines ,mmh .It get's stored in a Special Plastic Tube .Reminds me off that Worm with all the 100 Legs onto it ( Centreped ?Lol )

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here is where it goes into and some Instructons as Well .Click onto the Pictures to Enlarge them ( Make Bigger ) if you can't see .

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Addet more Pics of the Actual inside View of the Box where it sits on .This Box belowe is from an 500SEL/S500.
The Chip is under that Plastic Cover off wich you need to Verry Verry Caefully Prey that off with a Hard Plastic Screwdriver ,not beeing a Philips Screwdriver ,it klipps out with force so does the Chip underneat ,its NOT Welded onto the Board
For all Models ECU Chip Boxes W140's only
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?LH_A...u/i.html?_nkw=mercedes+w140+ecu&_arr=1&_rdc=1

For the Actual Chip by Model ,here :
S500's
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...lTo=15&_odkw=mercedes+w140+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
500SEL
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...lTo=15&_odkw=mercedes+S500+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
600SEL
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...o=15&_odkw=mercedes+500sel+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
S600
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...o=15&_odkw=mercedes+600sel+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
S420
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...lTo=15&_odkw=mercedes+s600+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
420SEL none there maybe later
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...lTo=15&_odkw=mercedes+s420+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
320SEL none there maybe later
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...o=15&_odkw=mercedes+420SEL+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
S320 none there maybe later
http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw...o=15&_odkw=mercedes+320SEL+ECU+Chip&_osacat=0
280S/SEL/300S/SEL there are none but still try a Search there is something showing underneat the Website for them.

Attachments

#5 ·
Tired of reading about smoother ride haha, like the ECU has anything to do with it.

How did it effect your car, very interesting:)

Are the changes noticed?

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Andrew
Definitely Yes , Specially the Cold Shifting wich anoy'd me a lot , Power in the Low Revs is more and Kick down is verry Powerfull ( Neck Cracker, Lol )
Its just Perfect .Have you got one in yours ?
Ciao
This is what it supposed to do
- 10% to 15% more HP and Torque Ft/lb Never tested this Yet, but i guess its a Yes for @ least half off that-
Great acceleration at low RPM (1000-2000) Yes it has
- Sharpens the throttle response much better than stock. More punching power in 2000-3000 RPM range and up. Definetely YES
- Removes Top Speed Limiter/Governor Thats a yes as Well , have seen the Engine overrev
- Removes the Upshift Delay during drive on cold start Main Reason why i installed it,Perfect changing now
- Smooth Idle Yes True ,verry smooth Rattling , lol
I cannot fault any off these

#8 · (Edited)
So yours dosnt have the Cold Upshifting Transmission delay, this was for heating the Engine and Transmission up Quicker for the 1st 2 minutes i thing it was or less , its verry anoying when you are a bit in a Rush ,you know what i mean ,Start the Car and go ,with this one when i 1st got it ,i was always scared to get going when it was cold waiting for it to shift ,now that i got rid off this Feature, i let the Car warm up before i actually drive it,LOL, go figure that out .
Installing the Chip is ,yeah looks complicated ,but when you actually get into it and start understanding & get familiar with this Part ,it gets pretty easy ,i can only suggest to wear a Headband for Sweat drops (lol) and dont Shake .
You Car beeing a later Model, if it dosnt have that Delay Shifting wont need this , there is no need for it ,for our Friend "MBs600v121998" it may well be a different Story ,he wants to beat the Ferrari's and Lambos ,Porsche's he can beat already as is ,lol.
Ciao:thumbsup:
Almost forgot ,if you ever come too Sydney ,you are most Welcome to come for a Ride ,but Please No Neck Supports ,i have all the Helmets too ,Lol.

#9 · (Edited)
Amazing Thread mercs500

Thanks alot, for your effort in the photos and collecting information, when i am ready i will follow up you with all my proccess

Thanks again man

And after installing it in my car and beating a ferrari and porsches and lambos, i will post the vedios :) hahaha
Ciao :thumbsup:

#13 · (Edited)
Yes ,there is one for your Car .
You be amazed when you drive the car without that delayed Transmission change ,its as if the Mechanic fix't something that wasnt even fixable ,LoL.

davidsong77
After 3 Years the Car is still running Strong like the 1st Day when i install'd it,no change at all .

Ciao:thumbsup:

#14 ·
I think you have the exact chip I have. Off eBay. Got it about 2 years ago. Same paperwork.

My problem is I HAVE to change it out when winter hits. I did this last weekend. The drop in temperature creates an acceleration problem for a few minutes (5-10) until it warms up.

When the temp REALLY drops....it WONT start. Did this last winter when it was about -15 and car would turn but not fire. Took module out (in -15 degree weather) and switched to factory chip and car fired right up.

Anyway...my 2 cents.

#18 ·
Yea, I think the car has to "learn" it. It may take up to 10 or so starts to start seeing it. Mine runs like a raped ape!

It's only the 5 min or so then runs fine if it's cold. If it's "stupid Chicago cold" then forget it.

I think maybe the chip is programmed to a lower air intake than it actually is. Not a big issue though. I put it back in around March and everything is fine. Passes cars like a MO-FO!!

#19 ·
Have you ever tought off buying a 2nd ECU actuall Box , having that would save you all the Trouble swapping it over all the Time and maybe even damage it in the Process ,they are cheap on E'bay for the S500/500SEL,the Swap would only takea few seonds then , i would do it like this anyway .

#20 ·
Interesting thought and good idea. What are the ECU's running for approx.??

It IS a pain to unscrew everything to R&R the chip.

#23 ·
Hi
I have send the Seller a Question for you if this is the chip for your Car ,i think that it is .
1995 Mercedes Benz S500 ECU Performance Chip ? NEW! :eBay Motors (item 360107150021 end time Jan-07-10 12:17:49 PST)
=============================================
This one here is a New Chip , i dont know if it is any good or what ,i have never seen it before,Price looks too cheap too me it could be a fraud ,quick Money Scam.:thumbsup:
PERFORMANCE CHIP MERCEDES BENZ S500 1994-2006 2005 2006:eBay Motors (item 260521763949 end time Dec-17-09 17:31:53 PST)

#24 · (Edited)
MMH , Verry Disapointed,they only support up to the 1995 Model S500 ,You need to find some other Chip at this Stage , I'm sure there must be something out there .I'm verry Sorry for you .
Unless of course the 95 Series Chip is also usuable/adaptable in the 96 Series ECU ,Maybe its worst a try if you realy realy want that done .
Maybe the 2nd one in the Link Above will do the Trick,its only 15 dollars all up,Fraud or NO Fraud,you never know ,maybe it is good ,?????????????????????????? .

#25 ·
For those who have purchased or are interested in purchasing this item.

Be VERY careful. The seller uses typical BS claims.

Heres what is highly suspect:

1. Dyno chart that uses BHP figures. Did they run their chip on an engine dyno? Doubt it.
2. Regardless of what model chip you are looking to buy, they show you a V12 dyno graph.
3. The V12 dyno shows a gain of 50bhp. Amazing that MB would leave that much hp on the table if all it took was a $100 chip to release it and its perfectly safe.
4. Like most cheap ebay chips, it most likely tricks the IAT into thinking the engine air is colder than it is. This can cause some serious detonation or pre-ignition on warm days.
5. "Increase the value of your benz!" come on now
6. 10-15% bhp gain, regardless of model or engine size?
7. Someone on here said something about seeing the engine overrev. Since when is that a good thing?

Sorry folks, there is no free (or very cheap) lunch when it comes to MB engine tuning. This place is a no name shop who I wouldn't trust to tune my lawn mower, yet you are trusting your $xx,xxx engines to them? The well known tuners are expensive for a reason. They do the research, and spend the time actually altering the timing/a/f curves on a dyno or the street to gain power yet stay safe. You get what you pay for here.

BUYER BEWARE

#30 ·
For those who have purchased or are interested in purchasing this item.

Be VERY careful. The seller uses typical BS claims.

Heres what is highly suspect:

1. Dyno chart that uses BHP figures. Did they run their chip on an engine dyno? Doubt it.
2. Regardless of what model chip you are looking to buy, they show you a V12 dyno graph.
3. The V12 dyno shows a gain of 50bhp. Amazing that MB would leave that much hp on the table if all it took was a $100 chip to release it and its perfectly safe.
4. Like most cheap ebay chips, it most likely tricks the IAT into thinking the engine air is colder than it is. This can cause some serious detonation or pre-ignition on warm days.
5. "Increase the value of your benz!" come on now
6. 10-15% bhp gain, regardless of model or engine size?
7. Someone on here said something about seeing the engine overrev. Since when is that a good thing?

Sorry folks, there is no free (or very cheap) lunch when it comes to MB engine tuning. This place is a no name shop who I wouldn't trust to tune my lawn mower, yet you are trusting your ,xxx engines to them? The well known tuners are expensive for a reason. They do the research, and spend the time actually altering the timing/a/f curves on a dyno or the street to gain power yet stay safe. You get what you pay for here.

BUYER BEWARE
This is ridiculous. At the end of the day, ANY performance modification has a negative impact on longevity, which is why the manufacturer does not include it from the factory. Any chip that you get, say from APR for Audi, will make the car behave differently than stock, whether permitting higher PSI for a turbo, changed timing, altered transmission commands, or whatever. Just because a Brabus solution is 100x more does not make it any better for your car.

As far as model years, this only works with the OBDI systems, which changed to OBDII (thus greater complexity) in 1996.

#26 ·
I have to agree with Oliver on this one...

Chips are a scam, they either cannot live up to their promises, or they will deliver the HP promised, at the cost of reliability and longevity...

#27 ·
i was looking for ECU mods for my CLK200 W208.. where can i actually buy 1? thanks!

#28 ·
I had a Look for you too on Ebay but there are none , maybe if you ask the Seller ('s ) for Information maybe they know .

#29 ·
I've been running my chip with diff. filters for almost three years now with no adverse affects except what was mentioned earlier with the hard starts when temps drop.

Could very well be telling the air flow meter the air is colder than it is so it runs leaner then when temp drops it really whacks things out.

I agree with what everyone says though as far as being very careful trusting someones mapped chip to throw in your car. You don't really know what parameters have been altered and the consequences that lie ahead.

I guess best advice if you ARE gling to chip is to buy from reputable sources. I bought mine for only $80 or so and it's not something I can leave in year round so maybe I should have looked harder and spent more??

#36 ·
I've had a "cheeseball" chip for 3 of the last 3-1/2 years of ownership. Drive it 22-25,000 miles a year and I DRIVE it. I've had no issues thus far.
As far as MB, BMW etc. and chips....you can purchase some manufactures aftermarket parts that WILL NOT void the warranty. I know with BMW you can install DINAN equipment and still hold the warranty. They are BMW approved.
Though I agree you still have to be careful your not buying a chineese garbage chip. That is scary.
I also have a turbo charged car that is factory 200HP (1986) and you can tune these without changing the crank, rods, pistons and they are durable. You can get some ridiculous HP IF YOUR CAREFUL and dyno the build and follow a easy to use list of parts that are proven to retain reliability.
Yes, too much of a good thing will trash an engine no matter who built it. If you ABUSE it, you WILL lose it.

#39 ·
best is going to renntech, brabus or even amg. but i dont know if they still make the ecu chips(they use to in the early 2000's). try mercedes performance shops they will tell you which on is good for your car. i actually have contacted powerchip and they told me i could pull off 420-440hp for $800 but i said no thank you(i dont trust my self with that much power lol). also to other shops gave me similar numbers each car has an individual number they can't just say with this chip you will have this much horsepower.

#40 ·
PowerChip is supposedly very good they re flash the entire ECU.

I have not found much people using them in Mercedes though. But other people who use them in BMWs and Volkswagens seem to love it.

Also don't forget Kleemann:p

I also like this brand called "SPEEDRIVEN" they specialize in Mercedes aftermarket upgrades especially ECUs and such. I don't know if they have anything for the w140 though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.