Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ECU Chip Installation

30K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  1994v12 
#1 ·
As Promised here is the Info for the ECU Chip .
How it looks and Where does it go into .
The 1st 5 Pics is the Original MB W140 ECU Chip , Philippines ,mmh .It get's stored in a Special Plastic Tube .Reminds me off that Worm with all the 100 Legs onto it ( Centreped ?Lol )

Attachments

See less See more
#43 ·
Another good thing about this chip is that it removes the cold start transmission shifting delay ,i found that verry anoying when i 1st got my car ,other than that 4 years that it is in now and hasnt given me any trouble what so ever ,i dont really care for extra power or more speed since we cant use it here anyway ,the 5.0 litre engine has already plenty as is of that ,i can only recommend the chip to avoid the shifting delay .:thumbsup:

#44 ·
The shifting delay is designed to warm up the catalytic converters quicker for emission purposes, the delay allows slightly higher revs in the gears so the engine heats up quicker. Isn't this a good thing, as it will get the engine to operating temperatures quicker?

#45 · (Edited)
Yes true , but that delay is sooooooooooo anoying ,feels like as if the transmission is broken or dosnt want to upshift ,i feel better without it .I decide how many revs the engine gets to do not her.
Look at it this way ,you know the movie Jurassic Park yes ,when they say we engineer'd the dinos not to duplicate ( make more dinos ) ,well here is mine that is " engine has found a way not to rev", lol :thumbsup::surrender:

#48 ·
I pulled the chip from my 1992 500 SEL when I sold it. I still have it. If it will work for your application I will sell it.

Interesting reading my inputs from years ago!

#51 ·
The ECU Chip video Myth busted on the Dyno .
This shows the chip
with the wires only ,the one I was always skeptic about ,next I need to find the chip I installed ,the one that looks like the Caterpillar on the 1st page in this threat.
I think the result will be the same like the wired useless scam box .
Don't waste your money except if you want to get rid of the shifting delay .:thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtImIP6j3A

#52 ·
#53 ·
Chris,

I have done this hundreds of times... On the W140 engine module the chip is on the a PLCC socket, so all one needs to do is extract it, and stick it on reader/programmer.

By the way, what are you trying to do?

I'm about to do something like this for my SL320 because the driver transistor/chip(it is power part) that controls air pump has shorted out, so I need to copy it or swap it with a S320 engine module as these S-class modules are more common at the wrecking yards here, except on our cars it is on a socket for the early and mid year cars...No soldering or desoldering needed-just a PLCC remover. Look at the PLCC portion of this link..The tool is a few dollars...

BadBiosFlash.com Located in NJ

One more thing that can be done once one has the HEX code from the chip it can be "De Compiled"(decoded) based on the HEX code of the instruction code to the Microprocessor. It is done all the time...It is tedious to go line by line, but since it is done a lot. I bet piece software to translate the code automatically is out there as these Microprocessors are not just used for Mercedes...

I hope it makes sense?

Martin

#54 ·
Yeah, those are garbage. I had one on a Lumina Z34 I had YEARS ago. Changes the intake air temperature or something like that, a resister.

The "ECU chip" I have from my W140 is actually an ECU chip where you pull the box from the under the hood, open it up and replace the chip in the board.

Reactions: nathanD.rector
#57 ·
Watch this

#59 ·
I have seen this video before ,very interesting results ,yes that chip with the 5 wires ,lol what a joke .
Our chip ,the Caterpillar look a like ,lol ,is different more easy to install with an actual result ,maybe not horsepower but other benefits are there .
The only reason I would install a chip again would be to get rid of the speed limiter and warm up delay but not to gain any extra horse power etc .
Well my S600 doesn't have any of that so I wont be buying any chips ,lol.
Thanks for posting ,I keep on forgetting doing that here .:thumbsup:

#58 ·
you can get more speed,by advancing timing.I seen the resluts in a 1/4 mile. .9 seconds faster.I cut power lead to water temp sensor and put in place a 1.2k resistor. But it killed my guage.So you will need a off brand guage and sender.

#61 ·
No ,it's straight forward . Keep an eye on your Revs red line when you go test as the limiter is now removed .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.