Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What love did you give to your 140 today?

295K views 2K replies 296 participants last post by  400 SE or S420 ? 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For me i checked my oil level and while i was looking around in the engine bay notice my multi rib belt is cracking.Got one on order.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Interesting, its not a bad brand at all, my BMW s had Conti, my Porsche has Conti and W140 has Conti too, havent had any problems yet but now you mentioned it I might as well go check again even though I replaced it about a month ago:confused:

As a matter of fact there are two brands that pop into my mind when talking about belts and one of them is Conti and the other is Dyco.

#6 ·
Would have loved to clean and feed the leather but ended up settling for a wash in the rain!

#8 ·
Hi,

I use a combination of Gliptone to clean and then Meguiars
Car Leather Cleaner
Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901

Other than that I usually use Autoglym:
Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing

Unfortunately with more wet than dry days in the UK my machine doesn't get cleaned as often or as well as when I was in sunny South Africa (my engine bay and car are still the cleanest of anyone I know!).

Cheers
Shane

#11 ·
Mine is on Holiday for the next 2/3 days ,Park't and cover'd in the Garage and thats after 3 Weeks Standing in the Garage (as i have no time to drive it ) ,she came out for 2 Days only to be Polished washed etc etc.. now she's back in there with a Big Smile .
Ciao:thumbsup:

Attachments

#15 ·
Not too sure if you adress me there TasmanianDevil but if i can give an Hint off what could happen after the 3 weeks .
After the 3 Weeks that i didnt drive the Car , on 1st Start up she started instantly , Once the Car heated up and on Acceleration from Standing Start ,she hestitated a bit with the AC on .
I suspected that it was the Petrol to Old that it lost its Power ,I fill'd her up and the Problem was gone ,smooth as again .
The Tyres had a slight Flatspot but just a little wich solved itself after a few Km's ,probably because they are New .Other than this No major Dramas exept that i had to put up driving with Nissans /Ford's and Mitsubishi's ,LOL.
Ciao
So in Short ,before you Store the Car dont fill the Petrol Tank leave it Empty like i did , fill it on Next Use of the Car .:thumbsup:

#17 ·
No ,But i nearly installed 4 Automatically actvated Jacks under the Car at one Stage , I gave up as the Project cost more than the Car and the Concrete it stands on ,there is however info about it here on the Forum ,its one off my Posts too i thing .
Ciao

#19 · (Edited)
bought it a new stereo that doesnt look like ass :) and fixed the stock becker the other day while at it.

other than that she is sleeping for the winter (hooked to external power i might add). i need to add some fuel stab before i forget

#20 ·
Replaced both rear self-levelling/ADS struts, both accumulators, and all hydraulic lines from accumulators to ADS valves and then from ADS valves to struts. What a major pain in the ass. 10 f'in hours it took me. Cursing most of the way. LOL And, I'm still not done. Got to reinstall the rear headlight level sensor, put the all the trunk liners back in, and I want to recheck the bleeding of the hydraulic lines.

Brett

#21 ·
Replaced both rear self-levelling/ADS struts, both accumulators, and all hydraulic lines from accumulators to ADS valves and then from ADS valves to struts. What a major pain in the ass. 10 f'in hours it took me. Cursing most of the way. LOL And, I'm still not done. Got to reinstall the rear headlight level sensor, put the all the trunk liners back in, and I want to recheck the bleeding of the hydraulic lines.

Brett
Wooow, i would love to see your DIY for that work :eek:
Can you after you finish it, post it here, or on Peter's Site, that would be great,
Good luck Mr. Brett

#28 ·
My baby, All she wants is 3 things

Love
Money
Speeding

And i give her All :)

And i am going to change the Petrol Pump with my service this week, (Including Oil Change, Oil Filter, Air Filter & SPark Plugs)

#31 ·
In a what can only be described as irony, I washed the car 2 fridays ago then it rains the next day :mad:

Yesterday, I wash the car again and what'dya know? it rains right after... AGAIN

FML :crybaby2:

#33 ·
My new job allows me access to a heated shop...yay! 30F here today and windy.

Now I work on these German machines part time woohoo!

Anyhow today the 500 got a tire rotation, oil change, suspension, steering and chassis lubed up. Touched up all the under coating, found a destroyed lower harness(had no idea). Located the valve cover leaks at the rear of the block. I no longer want tires in the rear, I need them:eek:

The car's driveability has suffered greatly this week, something major is wrong and it runs waaay too rich, gotta be a sensor, car nearly stalls when pulling from a signal lamp and low speeds provide a hard brake pedal.

Time to dive in and give more love. Also installed the shifter wood imitation trim:)

Cell phone;)

Attachments

#34 ·
Yea andrew i was running pretty ruff at take off from the light and start up the last 3weeks so one day i needed some gas last week and i use chevron all the time,for some reason this day a 76 gas station was around so i pull in and noticed on the pump handle it said 92 octane and chevron is 91 octane.So i jump on this quick now starts are smoother and car runs smooth as well as no more rough running just to top it off i put in a bottle of techron today.So what im seeing is 91 octane is like 87 octane for these benzes here in the states 92-93 is the rite octane anything less always cloggs you up.This is my experience ofcourse.

#37 ·
Well, I bought this '97 S320 about a month ago, and everything works. I'm the 5th owner at 204,000 mi. Having said that, there were some things that worked, but were/are loose...or missing.

Two weeks ago: (1) replaced the little filter above pax feet (man, was it filthy) (2) installed trans filler tube cap (how can you lose one of these?) (3) changed oil (can't get filter cap off; tried several things - MB dealer hasn't had any cap removers come in regular deliveries, so will order one) (4) bought light for middle of instrument cluster

One week ago: put in 1/2 can R134a (left over from freshly recharging my '95 Villager). Pressures look almost okay, but still need some more - vent temp only 60F, outside air 82F today. Need to put in some dye to see if there's an actual leak. Looks like there might be some oil residue at connectors just past the fuel-cooler location.

Today: (1) installed new oil dipstick (top half of red fingerloop already broke, but was still clinging onto top of metal stick, sort of - until last couple of days - how does one break one of these ? Run it over ?) (2) Replaced the silver/grey wheel caps (most paint missing from all of them). I was going to buy the ones with the MB name around the perimeter, even though that is a little overkill with the name, but I wanted something with some color to darken the middle of the wheels a bit - but the parts guy said "we just got these in" - they are "black background - silver circle/star". And since "Ebony" (wife named her) is black, it was a no-brainer, and the wife approves - they really complement the car nicely (3) Bought fresh air filter, the one over the fan in the engine (will try to replace tomorrow) (4) While replacing caps, did my first "real good" brake inspection - rears are needed. Brake sensor light has been ever-so-momentarily coming on at stops. Lots of bushings look pretty good. Found out something - I'll post this separately under "Fewer Brake Sensors".

Future: Replace middle bulb in instrument cluster (already bought it), Re-glue liner of sliding sunroof shade, clean rear long horizontal reflector (contains water drops), fix loose inside mirror, tackle lazy-retracting driver seat belt, pay someone else to replace head gasket (leaking a little in rear - knew this when I bought it)

Reactions: 420SELFAN
#38 ·
Today was a productive day!

First I fixed my self leveling suspension issues...see the other post in the forum.

After that I wanted to quickly change the mirror glass in my driver side mirror (yea, like those "quickly things always go...).
Took the old glass off and saw that pretty much all wires to the glass (auto dim and heat) had no insulation left, and two of the motor wires the same. Disassembled the mirror, peeled back some more of the insulation and insulated everything with small heat shrink tubing - I think I will check the passenger side mirror next weekend, even though at least the motors are working fine, which surprisingly they did on the driver side too!

After that it was getting pretty late, but my driver side door was always bugging me with that little bit of not really sitting flush with the body in the closed relaxed position - not talking about the 1mm or so thats normal, more like 3-4mm, so I adjusted the door striker and this is just perfect now. Also the gaps on front and rear of the door to the body should be about 5mm, I had about 3-4mm in the front and 6-7mm in the back. Adjusted that, then adjusted the striker again and now happy with that too!

Finally I wanted to at least quickly mess with the front driver side window adjustments (I know the car had some messy and extensive body work in the past, most likely from an ugly crash, and I am fixing bits and pieces a moron body shop left behind since I got it, and one of these things are all the window adjustments that are out of whack). The engineering behind the window adjustments is just amazing. On coupe's '95 and on, you don't even have to remove the door panel anymore. Just pop the bottom trim on the outside of the door and you get access to torx screws with which you can pretty much adjust every angle of your window! WIS is really helpful with great instructions about the adjustment sequence. On that window someone actually left the adjustment bolt for the rear height of the glass panel so loose that it was sitting at it's lowest spot, which explains why my window always closed forward first and then kind of twisted itself up in the back. It's perfect now, and as soon as I do the same procedure to the rest of the windows I should finally have sealing front and rear windows and no more wind noise! Yeay!!! (Only for the front windows you don't need to take off the door panel...for the rears they have to come off, and there is an additional adjustment under the trim panel on the outside of the rear quarter!)

So yes, it was a long day, but a very productive one with one more step towards Benz Bliss with the CL as well!

--Zaxxon

#40 ·
I think it's a decent belt. I bought the same one if I remember right. It's the one that came with a year warranty. So far it is looking good, been four months.