BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: '93 400SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering is Too Tight!

My dad just gave me a 1993 400SEL w/124K miles on it. It runs great, it’s clean and we both love the car so I got to make my dad proud and take good care of it.

The only mechanical issue it has is that the power steering is too heavy. It's very drivable and turns smooth and all but, it's noticeably tight, too tight for any car that has power steering. My dad always said that he had to keep putting power steering fluid in the reservoir every now and then and thought it was leaking but, he never saw any evidence of that besides the fluid goes down every 10k miles or so. He also said a couple of years ago he had a shop do a major tune-up on the car and they were able to loosen up the steering real good but, it went back to being hard to turn again after a couple short months.

So, I wanted to ask the experts (that’s you) your opinion on what I should do in order to troubleshoot and resolve the issue before I take it to a shop. I’m not afraid to get dirty and pretty good with my hands so any DIY ideas are very welcome. Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
Send a message via MSN to Merc600sec Send a message via Yahoo to Merc600sec
ypu have a PSF leak top it up If the steering gets better .. thats your problem.. if not ..?

Torque isn't cheap
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The PS fluid has been at max for a month now. I've been driving the car more regularly too, more than my Dad did, hoping it would loosen up but, no dice. If not a leak then lack of pressure maybe? Any thoughts?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
Send a message via MSN to Merc600sec Send a message via Yahoo to Merc600sec
check the power steering pump .. you can see the flow if you take the top off with the engine running and the with someone turning the steering you should see good flow from the return.. means the pump is working right.. If its not that .. then I dont know what to suggest..

Torque isn't cheap
#5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: Merc 93 W140 S600 / Merc-05-413CDI-Sprinter Turbo / 07-A170-Classic / Holden Rodeo RA 3.5L V6 <
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi
In my W126 there was a Small Filter at the Bottom of the Powersteering Reservoir ,maybe that is clogged up and the oil dosnt flow the way it has to ,if the W140 has it , i dont know if it has one but i assume it does .
Ciao

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Driving a W140 & everything else feels like is standing still . - Merc S-600 = Chris

Like to see more of my S600 ----- ALL AUSTRALIAN W140 OWNERS ,CLICK ME:
#6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I'll do the flow test first and if I don't see it flowing correctly then I'll look into the filter thing.

Great suggestions guys...I'll keep you posted....THANKS!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I'll get straight to the point here. I checked myself and the PSP looked fine to me so I took it to the shop for 80 bucks to see what they'd say.

Bottomline: The tech said mechanically the power steering system proved to be working. So he went to the electronics. After running a diagnostic test on the computers he found one major issue. The second module from the top with the yellow down arrow (not up on the lingo yet) is not responding to his tests at all. The module in question is 009 545 92 32 PML. The results of the diag test shows differnet catagories like AB and the PSE showing "Control module does not respond". I also got these two faults:

LH1SFI
MB number: 014 545 62 32
Diagnostic version 0/02
017 CAN: No reception from
EA,CC,ISC
N4/1,N4/3,N4/4

ASR
MB number: 013 545 93 32
Diagnostic version 0/01
012 Master cylinder
switchover valve Y61

The tech says that module controls a lot of differnet things and not just one task but he didn't know why it wasn't responding. The tech wanted more time to research the non responsive module but I didn't have the time right then. He thinks this may be the cause of the power assist being too heavy and he says other things may not be working properly as well. He wants me to bring it back in for more diagnostic tests for another 160 bucks to see if he can isolate the problem. Should I do it or is there something I can do myself knowing what I know now? I got me a subscription to ALLDATA, fishing through there to see what I can do. I wish I had another one of those modules to slap in just to see if that's the problem but I don't. What do you guys suggest I do? Take it back to the shop or just go and find another module to put in and call it a day. I just don't want to waste time or money troubleshooting something that only needs a good reboot or someting to fix. What do you think?
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: Merc 93 W140 S600 / Merc-05-413CDI-Sprinter Turbo / 07-A170-Classic / Holden Rodeo RA 3.5L V6 <
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
How much does this Module you need Cost ? If it is Cheap ,just buy it and go from there ,thats what i would do , the Mechanic i belive has done its scan, so that could be the Hint for you .If the Problem is still there then start to worry . Isnt there any Friends you have there wich may can Swap this Module for a minute ,just to see if it is that .?
Ciao

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Driving a W140 & everything else feels like is standing still . - Merc S-600 = Chris

Like to see more of my S600 ----- ALL AUSTRALIAN W140 OWNERS ,CLICK ME:
#9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Update: I bought the module on ebay for $90 shipped. It should be here this week so I'll let you all know what happens after the swap. I'm really excited. I feel like when I swap the module it's going to change the whole world...

But, I have a simple question. Does the module come out easily or is there something special I need to do? I seems tightly connected to the main board and isn't budging at all when I try to pull and wiggle a little. So how do you swap it?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by netkil View Post
But, I have a simple question. Does the module come out easily or is there something special I need to do? I seems tightly connected to the main board and isn't budging at all when I try to pull and wiggle a little. So how do you swap it?
I assume that this is a module in the module box under the bonnet (hood). Each module is a tight fit in its socket. They usually have a square hole in the cast alloy frame at the top on each side. M-B do a special puller which locates in these two holes but if you insert a screwdriver (or similar) through the holes you can lever up each side in turn or use two screwdrivers together. It works for me.

Mike

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class