Serious vibration at 80 km/hr to 100 km/hr speed - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Generally a vibration in an early W140 like that at that speed is down to worn bushings in the front end. I had the same symptoms it was the steering idler bushings. Any decent mechanic should be able to work it out if they get it up on a lift.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
How's your steering damper? Unbolt one end and see if it's still stiff.

Also, who balanced your tires? I had a steering shake I couldn't get rid of as well. I had the tires balanced/aligned twice at indy shops with no luck. When I mentioned the problem to the dealer, he talked me into letting them do it. I got all four tires balanced along with an alignment for $129, and now the car rides smooth as glass.

Yes, I get a little shake from the flat spots when I go out for the first drive of the day but that goes away after 2 or 3 miles and all is good again. Tires are inflated to 27 PSI.
Steering damper won't cause this the symptoms of that are more when the car runs over bumps in the road the wheel with jerk as obviously there is no absorption in the damper. I had that problem too and it felt completely different to what the poster is describing here.
NZ Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1992 500SEL
Having the same problem here. Got the wheels/tires balanced at like ten different shops. Still the problem exists. Brand new tires/wheels. Wheels bearings are good. Suspension parts are brand new, except lower bushings and upper A arms. But the shaking usually go away after ten mins of driving or so but sometimes it's there the entire trip. I guess it's the tires that cannot support the weight of the car when parked. The sidewalls probably change their shapes to normal once they are warm.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: '97 S320 (LWB), '01 E320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc600sec View Post
See that is a little bit low if you look in the manual..
On US-Spec cars 27 PSI is the correct pressure for lightly loaded travel under 100mph

'97 S320 (LWB), Ruby Red Metallic/Tan, 75k miles
'01 E320, Black/Charcoal, 105k miles

Gone but not forgotten. . .
'97 S420V, Smoke Silver Metallic/Tan, (RIP 22 Oct 2012, 178627 miles) He gave his life to save mine.
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamY View Post
Dear all,

I have this serious vibration/ shaking on my 1992 Mercedes 300SE (W140). When my car reaches 80 km/hr, it starts to shakes seriously, and when I let off the gas pedal, the shake goes away. If I step on the gas pedal all the way and exceed 100 km/hr, the shake will go away too. Do you have any ideas or experience of the same problem before?

Cheers,
Adam
Hmm accelerator changes the issue, I would surely look into the front flex disc on the tail shaft of the tranny, mine is cracked just a bit right now and does exactly as you describe, off the gas and the vibration goes away, it's almost as someone flicks a switch when it starts at 50mph or so, goes away later on. I am replacing my flex disc on wed, I'll chime back in with results. The rear flex discs rarely fail, it a straight shot to the diff, where as the tranny and driveshaft up front has a bit of an angle the disc compesates for. Also if a flex disc fails..... ....things will be ruined.
"However, not the the aesthetic masterpiece you might have expected for a billion dollars, but all of them, and this one in particular, justifies it's price through sheer attention to detail." -Jeremy Clarkson

Over 184K and it's sweet!

It MUST have been that leather wrapped dash that got 'er going, what else do you have to offer?
The andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1992 500SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The andrew View Post
Hmm accelerator changes the issue, I would surely look into the front flex disc on the tail shaft of the tranny, mine is cracked just a bit right now and does exactly as you describe, off the gas and the vibration goes away, it's almost as someone flicks a switch when it starts at 50mph or so, goes away later on. I am replacing my flex disc on wed, I'll chime back in with results. The rear flex discs rarely fail, it a straight shot to the diff, where as the tranny and driveshaft up front has a bit of an angle the disc compesates for. Also if a flex disc fails..... ....things will be ruined.
That is another cause of vibration. There are two flex discs between your tranny and the rear differential. If the flex discs are not in shape, the vibration could be felt more at the seat rather than steering thou.

But it's also a good place to look as well, cause if the discs fail your driveshaft could fall out of the car. That's what I heard anyway.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via MSN to Haku
I'm going to have to stop checking in on this thread... The required repairs are getting more expensive everytime I do so!
Haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes E55 AMG, 1997 Mercedes SLK230, 1992 Mercedes 300SE (sold)
Thanks for all your inputs guys!

I'll first add some more pressure to my car and see if the problem comes from the tires and start from there. Will give you guys an update once I got my problems sorted out.

Cheers,
Adam
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1995 S600 2009 SLK280
I agree with Merc600sec go back to balancing and tire rotation, front end issues come in the form of a "loose" feel to the wheel NOT steering wheel shake.
DallasV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL
Some of you are missing the original key point--when the throttle is released the vibration goes away. This will eliminate tire problems, as the car is not changing speeds out of the problem range immediately. This indicates a problem when power is moderately applied, like at cruising speed. I would suspect flex disc/driveline problems.
chuckindetroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class