Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What do we for a living and why we drive 140's?

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  calilina 
#1 · (Edited)
What we do for a living and why we drive 140's?

Hey guys,

I have seen this topic in many other sections but not here, I find its very interesting to see what fellow members do for a living. Also in terms of networking its not what you know its who you know correct!?

Im 20 and in Direct Sales, I sell Miracle Mate home cleaning systems. Its a vacuum and air purifier made in Canada and sold here and in the States. My job in commision based and allows me to comfortably afford my 140.
You can check out what I sell if you want, it is very cool if you appreciate over engineer products ;) (which we all do!) www.MiracleMate.com

I picked my 95 S500 because my father has always drove older S classes and when he moved up from the W126 I knew I had to have one as soon as I could afford my own.

What do you guys do and why did you choose your W140?

Cheers,
Kevin
Vancouver

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes Door to door is direct sales, however I do not door knock. An appointment is booked for me where I show a family a demonstration in exchange for a free gift.

Now your turn NZ, what do you do and why did you pick your beloved W140? :)

#3 ·
Another 20 year old here :thumbsup: . I work as a Team Coordinator(think of it as a supervisor-type job, though I still have a supervisor technically) at the Pacemaker Department at St Jude Medical in Sylmar(people often mistake it for a Hospital LOL, but we make Medical Devices in General).

My father owns a w126 which I begged so much to have, no avail. I had to exact my revenge by one upping the old man and I have succeeded :D

Though, I originally wanted an Acura Integra GSR because it was cheap, easy on gas and fun to drive, etc. but after months of failed attempt at buying one, I decided to buy a w140 since "eh, I've always wanted one anyway..." so here I am.

#5 ·
Good to hear another young guy working hard!
Does you dad still drive the 126?

#8 ·
Ph.D. chemist. You can call me doctor, but no need. I make drugs for a living. Uh, legal ones, but illegal ones aren't outside of my ken. LOL

I essentially went shopping for a V12 engine. The one I bought happened to be wrapped in a W140. It was either BMW or Mercedes, and we were already leaning toward Mercedes as we had just sold our W202 C-280, which was a fantastic car for us for 3 years and 40,000 miles.

Brett

#9 ·
I am 22(as from today), I am a day trader/fund manager, I trade the S&P500, Nasdaq100. Also going to school doing my bachelors in business administration, double major in finance and accounting, minor in economics, got 2 more semesters to go. I bought the w140 because I am a big fan of big luxury cars, i hated the w220(had a 2001 S600 last year), and dont want to spend so much money on the W221 s600, going to wait till it depreciates properly and hits the stage W140 is in right now to justify the purchase as an investment. I love the way the W140 feels, I feel like a dictator who doesn't like chauffeurs when I am driving that car :)

#10 ·
22 In July, Graduating in two weeks with a BA in Performance.
I do a few things, I teach Piano Lessons, I play the Pipe organ at a Church in Huntington New York, it's a very gratifying instrument, a lot of power at ones finger tips. Additionally I paint houses inside and out, repair cars in the area and detail. Most of my money making is in the lessons and playing for shows at local venues, I also accompany my old High School chorus. Staring this summer I will be handling some Institutional sales for Steinway & Sons of New York.

I have had a 97 Lincoln Towncar, okay but floppy chassis, gas and oil car,
and a 2000 BMW 323i, which let me know how much I don't like small cars, and BMWs build quality, or lack there of on certain models. And not to mention the premature wear on certain suspension parts.

I first drove a big body Benz about 5 years ago, a 96 S420, at that first drive I knew I had to have one, it is so smooth, a proper luxury ride and the sheer weight which makes up most of the great ride and stability. I found one In MN back in October, and pursued up until April 14th when I flew out there and drove it back to NY, a proper introduction of it will be made once I machine glaze and wax it soon.

I'll put it this way, when I had my first two cars I knew there would be something after it, but with this car I can't imagine not having it, maybe I'll buy a 129 in addition to it one day. I like the newer tecnologies and such of the newer S classes but I like the traditional shape of the 140 and it's weight, luxury makers shouldn't worry about weight, like when Bentley and Rolls make cars that are easily 3 tons, because your spending that kind of money in the first place, who cares about gas?:D

#11 ·
I'm in the venture capital business, mostly helping small - medium companies with funding, either startups or mezzanine (second stage) financing.

I had a 1995 S600 sedan that was terrific, which I foolishly relinquished when the warranty ran out, after which I bought a 220 body, and was unhappy with it. What a difference!!! MB really 'cheapened' the S-class with the 220.

It appears the 221 body may have turned the corner and MB is attempting a return to superior products, but I'm not sure just yet. Once burned, twice shy.

After several years, I've decided to return to the 'big-boned' body of the 140 body style with a coupe and a sedan. And the thrill of driving is back! With the help of this site, the maintenance and repairs shouldn't be so daunting! But there is nothing to beat the ride of a properly running 140-body.

I now know the difference and appreciate what I know to be a superior automobile. The 140-body S-class is a superior automobile. That statement comes from direct personal experience.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm 21. University students, studying Mechanical Engineering minor in automotive engineering. This engineering field really shows me that the W140 was engineered for perfection or sometimes over engineered. :D

The reason why I drive this car is because dad got a new ride n' he didn't want to sell the W140, so he gave me the car. :thumbsup:

#15 · (Edited)
I come from the old school. Am 75, M.A.++ in linguistics. Taught in U.S. and South American high schools and universities for many years.

Retired now, but am a part time assistant manager of of a senior citizen apartment complex. Keeps me active and useful.

Several years ago I had a heart attack. That was followed by being diagnosed with Stage 4 Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma for which I went through the chemotherapy. The cancer is now inactive.

After these life-changing, health-issue episodes, I got to thinking that I should get a Mercedes, a thought that I had entertained during chemotherapy.

I bought one--an '89 190e 2.6. Really got into the feel of a Mercedes with that one. Learned everything about it. Did some repairs. Still have it. Very practical it is and still an eye-catcher.

Then I got to thinking that I should move up to the W140. I bought one--a '93 500SEL, black/black. Did some repairs and learned about its history and came to appreciate its presence and power. I didn't drive it much, but sometimes when I got bored and felt my life was pretty much over, I'd get in it and drive it on the freeway, passing every car in sight, exceeding 100mph. When I returned to my apartment I always said to myself out loud, "Wow! What a great fu*#ing car!" Great therapy! Some of the younger older women in the apartment complex would bring me unsolicited food and drinks as a way of inviting me to take them for a drive and whatever else they had in mind, but I never invited them.

Then I got to thinking that I would get into trouble with that car if I just used it for therapy, driving fast, passing the plastic-bubbled cars on the freeway as if they were standing still without purpose to satisfy some inner issue. I got a lot of attention with the 500 and I felt like a king.

I sold the car recently to a member of this forum. Since then, I have lost 12 pounds and am smoking more cigarettes than I should, and the women have ceased to bring me goodies. Now I am thinking about buying an S600 coupe as a final statement and maybe I'll gain a little weight and may even hook up with one of the more presentable younger older women here. At the very least, I should hear knocks at my door again by women bringing me well-cooked and presentable food.
---------
"Faster,faster,faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter Thomson

#18 ·
Now I am thinking about buying an S600 coupe as a final statement and maybe I'll gain a little weight and may even hook up with one of the more presentable younger older women here.
75 and you still have the ladys in mind! I say make the move, get the 600!! :)

#16 ·
34 here.. Previously industrial mechanic.. Not much pay, but lots of work though.. Then 6years as a logistics storage keeper at the same company.. Same pay, but way to much to do.. So after those 6 years my body said STOP !
Went through 12month sickleave, 16month muscular rehab/work training/testing. With no luck.. Since then 2 years disability..

Bought the W140 for a part of the insurance payout, my company had insured me for.
Have had several cars, but this is by far the best car I've ever had..

#17 ·
41 here and own several interent companies. I do website and graphics design. Created 3 web companies and 1 technology company. 1 deals with the stock market, 1 deals with website design specifically for real estate agents, 1 is a complete website design site, and the last is a manufacturing company building micro GPS units.

I bought my CL600 and CL 500 becuase I LOVE the old school 2 door coupe. It is timeless and everyday I drive them I get looks and thumbs up even though these cars are 2 body styles back...

#19 ·
31 and own a Real Estate company with my wife, bough my first W140 at 21, a 1993 400SEL, loved it and fixed it up real nice (Lowenhart 20's, HUGE stereo, etc.) but living in LA I kept seeing 600's. Not one to be "one upped" I asked my mechanic about it and he said it's a great car but don't get one from earlier than 1996 because there were a lot of problems. He didn't elaborate but I bought the 1997 S600 and still have it today. Since then I have bought many other cars including what is supposed to be a "better" car, the Bentley Arnage Red Label and I am proud to report after 3 years of owning that POS I sold it to drive my W140 more! :D

#20 ·
Can you expand more on why you feel your Arnage was a POS?
What was wrong with it?

#24 ·
I wish I had a teacher in high school like you! What do you teach?
Also, what made you choose a W140?

#25 ·
mhuck123, thankyou very much for posting those pictures, I really enjoyed them.

How would you compair the ride quality and cabin noise level? Is the Arnage in a different leauge then our W140's in these areas?

#28 ·
Noise was an issue over 40mph. I got the Bentley after the S600 and honestly I was dissapointed. Nothing can really compare to the double pane windows in the W140. Ride was close but it's so heavy that it can be overwhelming if your not careful. With that being said the engine was amazing, you just can't believe a car that big can move that quickly, Turbo 6.75 V8 is all you think it is and more. One other note is the attention, it's not regularly good and being in my late 20's when I bought it the haters just couldn't help themselves. Other than that it was not bad....... HAHAHAHA!

#27 · (Edited)
Attorney and CPA, I specialize in transaction work related to corporate finance and tax, mostly crossborder transactions from a to z. The reason I bought the 140 is that I had seen many MB's and none of them ever sparked my interest until the day I layed eyes on a 140 for the first time. I was awestruck, what a beautiful car! Luxury, beauty, power, and the sheer presence on the road was incredible to me. i knew they were out of my price range and was living in NYC at the time so no car was necessary. Years past and we end up in DC, 140's are selling for less than 20k, the minivan was dying and the wife said, "OK, now you deserve that 140". Thus, the search began and ended up with a 99 S500 black on black and it has been an excellent car for the past 2 years. I am very happy with the 140, but I have to admit that buying and owning the Ferrari hss surpassed the 140. Do not get me wrong, I love the 140 and never plan to sell it, but the Ferrari has been a life altering event and I never ever thought I would love a car and marque as much as I have fallen for Ferrari, but classics that is because the modern ones do nothing for me. I doubt I buy another mercedes (I do have 3) but if I do, my money is on a 140 coupe. Why you may ask, I have fallen in love with the newer Maseratis and think they will replace the other MB daily drivers in the future. I guess I have been biten by the Italian Flu, dreaming about the new Ducati also.

#30 ·
Hi,

60's model, me not the car. Was German, now Aussie. Working in IT, now for a large Bank. First thing I bought her was asked some questions, how could I afford a large Merc. Some thought I did some illegal trading or so LOL. Than I explained is 17 years old and really not expensive, apart from my strings of 'minor' repairs haha.
With all the little things it had wrong, I just love the ride. Would only swap for a newer W140.
My father got a W126 300SE, still going strong, car and dad. He had Mercs for the last 40 years, never considers another car.

Cheers and enjoy the rides guys and girls.

#32 ·
We have a 1996 w140 executive. It's a relaxing car to drive. I'm 19 and I work with my cousin here in Miami at his club. It pays for the toys and isn't bad for a student. I like the overall feel and I get an offer on it whenever I pull it out of the garage.

#33 ·
55, real estate broker, south carolina. drive the car because it's relatively trouble-free and rides/drives like nothing else, and the image/impression my 11 year old benz with 170,000 on the clock leaves with clients is priceless. they realize i know my stuff and take care of it, same as I do for them! wouldn't drive a new one. did i mention 28 mpg on hwy/23 town?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.