Removing Ignition Key Tumbler Cover - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300SE & 1998 Mercedes-Benz C230
Removing Ignition Key Tumbler Cover

Would anyone happen to know how to remove the ignition key tumbler protective collar for a W140 vehicle - attached photo. That metal collar on right side of the photo protects the ignition key tumbler. Tumbler internals actually already fell out since the front die cast part wore out. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Ignition Key Tumbler Cover-090411.ignitionlockfailure2.jpg  

Last edited by dbmoylan; 04-11-2009 at 02:13 AM.
dbmoylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

For those who may be interested . . . was able to find alldata (courtesy of deutschland mechanix - great guy/guys) statement that the collar cannot be removed once placed in position. Had to cut into collar so I could pry off & access tumbler (which had worn down to point that die cast at top of tumbler cracked apart).

To remove tumbler you need to access horizontal metal piece in tumbler w/ wire to pull in (retract) so tumbler will fall away. Cannot really get to that part except from topside & must remove the collar to do that move.

FYI for anybody having a problem w/ their key getting stuck between positions 1 & 2.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1973 W115 200 /8
Really didn't get the procedure there dbmoylan..
I have a replacement tumbler.. And I understood that the cover has to be cut open..
But, then. Can I just put a new one on ?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Could not really understand the tumbler design until I removed. Have reinstalled now - procedure would be to align the tumblers to position 1 using your key, where you can look from inside the plastic housing up at the tumbler - once you see that small slit, use a very small jewelers screwdriver to push that metal in.

The metal spring action will only be able to push in if the key is inserted and turned slightly right (position 1).

Once you pull inward, the tumbler will fall towards the plastic ignition housing - but you will have to sacrafice 1 of your keys to grind the sides down so the key can pass through the metal collar.

This procedure will save the collar (and ignition housing) from being destroyed by prying it off. Collar's only function it appears is to prevent thieves from easily accessing the tumblers for the car.

Benz really protected the W140 against thieves - takes quite a bit of time to fool around with this well-designed ignition assembly.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1973 W115 200 /8
Ok, So I could replace the tumbler without remocing the cover.. Cool.
Will have to remember that, for the day when I actually do this job..
Just remembering how nuch hassle it was replacing the internal connector..(Then one removed in your pic .)
My steering wheel is adjustable, so I found it easier to remove the whole assembly from the dashboard..
Eirik 400 SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Yes, the rod that runs from the cylinder to the steering lock has to be put in a particular way. The car seems to synchronize (fit) best and inline on all parts when position 1 is used on the key.

The only way I see working on these parts is the complete removal of the ignition cylinder to the steering lock. The trickiest maneuver I believe is removing the lock cylinder from the casing.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
KEY won't go into the ignition

Hi,

I have a related problem:

is there a way to adjust the ignition position, since I can't even put the key in.. it's the first time i have this problem. Usually, it's kinda loose I remove the key, causing the beeping / alarm noise. Then I have to put the key to start position and all the way to OFF again.
z0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Sounds like the tumblers are all messed up if you can't even insert the key. The design seems engineered so that position 1 is necessary to align the ignition assembly so that you could pull in the spring lock that keeps the tumbler in place.

If you cannot even insert the key you might be best advised to take the entire ignition assembly to a locksmith so that he can get the tumblers to align for position 1. Then you/he can remove the tumbler by pulling in the spring lock and dropping the tumbler through the body of the ignition assembly.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
is there a procedure on how to remove the ignition assembly from the steering wheel area? Position 1 means completely OFF? If I get a replacement from another car (from part out / junk yard), would my key still work?
z0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

No, position 1 is actually a partial turn, then position 2 is where all the cluster lights up & the next turn is to turn the starter on on my W140. There is a procedure to remove the ignition assembly - must be VERY careful to keep the key in the ignition and turned into position 1 or 2 in order to remove the ignition bolt that goes through the die cast housing steering lock assembly (at end of ignition assembly), otherwise the bolt will be locked in place.

Once you get that assembly out, you will need to remove the lock cylinder in order to change it with another cylinder. That's the problem - if you cannot put the lock cylinder into position 1 then you won't be able to remove the cylinder.

Might be wise to check out a locksmith to see if he can get the cylinder to turn to position 1. The cylinder will not drop out of place unless you can access the spring lock that keeps the cylinder fastened in place - and it can't be accessed unless you put in position 1.

Tyler O'Brien at Mercedes-Benz of Cincinnati is a great parts guy & can set you up w/ a new lock cylinder to fit your VIN w/out having to have another (used) cylinder re-keyed (tumblers changed) & pay that additional fee.

Last edited by dbmoylan; 04-22-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class