#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:17 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ASR/ABS Light On

The ASR/ABS light came on as I was driving my 1994 S600 recently. When I stopped and restarted the car, it went back off. It comes on after the car has been driven about 10 minutes.

Brake lights work.

The four fuses under the hood in the computer module are okay.

It does not go into limp home mode but drives fine.

The steering becomes stiff once the light comes on.

It does not come on when I start the car and hold the brake pedal down.

I bought the brake light switch and plan to put it on today.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1987 560SL - 1994 S420 - 2005 S55 AMG
Hayward, I found I needed a new battery shortly after several months of intermittent ASR/ABS lights. Apparently when there is insufficient voltage to operate the ABS system (even if it is only for a fraction of a second) the light will illuminate to warn you that the ABS will not function. However there are probably many other reasons this light will come on. Replacing the battery solved this problem for me.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
i had the same problem and no limp home mode after changing many things i found out its was the wires to the front abs sensor . try turning your steering wheel all the way to the left or right with no brake padel applyed in park and see if the light comes on if so just change the wires by the front wheels
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1995 Silver S-320
Unfortunately i also had to deal with the ABS situation recently. I don't know how your lights are but i have a seperate ABS ASD and ASR lights on my dash...

I had the ASD light permenantly on after a while and the ABS would come in and out but over time stayed on more and more...

it turned out to be my front left speed sensor which i found out the hard way is responsible for more than any of the other sensors... the part alone was $400 whereas a sensor for any other wheel runs about $100.

Anyway good luck sir.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 93 300se sold, /94 s420 gone, 95 s500 parting out, 96 s320 resale, 97 s500 recent buy, 98 s420 sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksel View Post
i had the same problem and no limp home mode after changing many things i found out its was the wires to the front abs sensor . try turning your steering wheel all the way to the left or right with no brake padel applyed in park and see if the light comes on if so just change the wires by the front wheels
hey blacksel, i think i got the same problem on my S420. when i turn the steering wheel in left or right position sometimes the abs and asr pops up. can you clarify or explain a little on what you mean by replacing the wires for the abs/speed sensors ?? do you mean replacing whole sensor or just cuting and splicing wires in between?/. thanks

1995 S500 Blue/Gray parting out whole car
#6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
hi all you no that 1992 to 1995 have that bad wiring so i just put the car on jack stands removed the wheels start the car and play around with the wire that goes to the abs sensor a little twist or pull until the lights turn on/ next cut open the wire cover and the wires were all exposed inside I just spliced new wires between the sensor up to where it starts to go into the engine area about 18" or until you see the wires are in good condition to protected the wire from road debrie i used soft rubber tube that you use for the wind sheild washer pump you can buy at any auto parts store just at each end i used heat strink tubing to seal out any water from getting in and at the end by the sensor a used a zip tie to hold the stress on the new wires
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I replaced the brake light switch, and the battery. I cleaned the wheel sensors with the car raised using brake cleaner. Do I need to actually remove the sensors to really clean them?

The ASR/ABS light still comes on but takes longer to come on now.

I noticed that when I replaced th brake light switch yesterday, my SRS light, which has been coming on at startup and staying on for a couple of minutes went out at startup like it should but later came back on. I don't know if this is related to my ASR/ABS light malfunction.

The wiring harness has been replaced already.

Any other ideas besides removing and cleaning the wheel sensors?
#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Perhaps it could be a problem with the cluster itself do you have a digital or the older mechanical cluster?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I have the digital cluster. It was replaced by the dealer in May 2006.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
After weeks of research, troubleshooting, prayer and frustration, my ABS/ASR lights are finally off. I had the computer scanned by my dealer during the Christmas Holidays. The mechanic worked on my car for about 4 hours. The code that kept coming up was the driver's side front speed sensor. The mechanic indicated that many other codes were stored in the computer as well and attributed these codes to the ABS/ASR module somehow appearing to have disabled the ability of the other modules in the CAN to communicate with each other. The speed sensor malfunction code returned each time the mechanic reset the computer. On New Year's Eve, I removed the left wheel speed sensor and cleaned the cables with electric parts cleaner. The ABS/ASR lights came back on. I removed the drivers' side wheel speed sensor module mounted on the the chassis under the engine bay and used fine sand paper to clean to metal contact points where the sensor bolts to the chassis and put dielectric grease on the mounting bolts and top and bottom of the module. The lights came back on New Year's Eve night. I disconnected the battery and held the brake pedal down to reset the system for 30 seconds. I then reconnected the battery. The ABS/ASR lights have not been on since New Years eve.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class