Super Blue Brake Fluid Opinions - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Super Blue Brake Fluid Opinions

I am still in the process of rejuvenating my '93 500SEL.

The previous documented brake service on this vehicle was done at 60,000 miles in 1999. Now there are 134,000 miles. The front and rear pads are still good.

I visually checked the brake fluid in the MC reservoir and found that it was blue fluid, darkened somewhat from use.

I assume that when the brake service was done that Super Blue Racing Fluid was used.

Here is my question: should I flush the system or bleed it? I will use the Super Blue fluid which is MB approved regardless.

The braking systems on these cars are somewhat more complicated because of the ASR and ABS factors and I don't want to complicate my life out of ignorance, so I am asking anyone on this fine forum what their opinions and experiences are about bleeding or flushing the system and what I should be cautious about.

Thanks for any advice or opinions.
---------
"Faster,faster,faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 1997 S600 (sold)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
MB service specification is replace brake fluid every two years. This is neither advice nor opinion. I've been lazy myself and have not yet replaced my fluid in 4 years.

Brett
#3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 95 S320; 99 E3204M
This doesn't address the doctor's question. Sorry, I don't know nothin about none of that blue brake fluid. But, I thought that Brett might benefit from my "better than nothing" brake fluid change.

On the advice from my brother, I started changing out the brake fluid in the reservoir every time I change my oil. You can use a turkey baster or one of those cheap brake bleeder kits (the one with the two tubes that connect to the little cup).

I did a full bleed of the system about 1.5 years ago and the fluid was green (yes, dark green). I figure this is better than nothing and will allow me to extend the time between full bleeds. So far, the fluid is staying fairly clean.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
not sure whether you already completely the brake fluid flush or not... but if you haven't, I would use ATE TYP 200 instead of Super Blue... reason being, it's exactly the same fluid but much easier see a flush if Super Blue is already in the system... I use the same fluid and switch back and forth between Super Blue & TYP 200... GREAT STUFF!

to answer your flush/bleed question...
I would flush the entire system including the ABS/ASR (if present) using a pressure bleeder... especially if the old fluid has been in there for 74K miles...

Last edited by SoFlBenz; 07-31-2008 at 12:23 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlBenz View Post
not sure whether you already completely the brake fluid flush or not... but if you haven't, I would use ATE TYP 200 instead of Super Blue... reason being, it's exactly the same fluid but much easier see a flush if Super Blue is already in the system... I use the same fluid and switch back and forth between Super Blue & TYP 200... GREAT STUFF!

to answer your flush/bleed question...
I would flush the entire system including the ABS/ASR (if present) using a pressure bleeder... especially if the old fluid has been in there for 74K miles...
Thanks for the advice. Makes sense.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class