Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1994 - S600 - Overall Reliability & Cost to Maintain

17K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  1994v12 
#1 ·
Hi folks-

Just wanted to take a poll and find out in general, what the concensus is on the S600, 1994 Year. (Sedan).

One mechanic told me to steer clear from this car, and that some mechanics wont even touch it.

I would love to hear people's experiences on this forum, as I am considering the purchase of one. I was originally looking at S500's, but stumbled across a really nice one...

All opinions, feedback wanted.

Thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Price is the all important factor. But, having said that, these are expensive cars to maintain. So be finacially ready for the bills. Even if your an experienced enthusiast and DIY man, this car will cost you a packet.

#6 ·
Well.
I use it as my every-day-car and after about 1½ year I have replaced:

-Injection harness.
-ETA-wires.
-MAF-wires.
-Waterpump.
-Coolant hoses.
-Front/rear axle bushings.
-Rear hydrosferes.
And much more.

It's NOT a maintenance free car, the spareparts are expensive and the car has a "few" years on it.

But I just LOVE IT anyway!!!!:thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
Here is my problem with all the negative threads on the 600. Most (not all) but MOST negative threads about this motor come from people who DONT own a 600. I dont know if its penis envy (or v12 envy) or just pure speculation that this motor is bad.

I have done an extensive research on this forum and found about 95 percent (my own estimate) of 600 owners out there LOVE their cars. Yes there are a few bad motors out there and yes some motors have cause more problem for the owner then some others. But lets do research on the other motors (the 500, 420, and 320). I would bet that there are more then 5 percent owners of those vehicles that HATE their car and I bet there are MORE bad motors from those owners then 600 owners. So in my humble opinion its all relative.

I am not going to bash 320 or 420 owners because I have never owned one, driven one, or even rode in one. I DO however own a 95 s500 coupe and I love that car as well, and its caused me minimal problems just like my 600 (ITS ALLLLL RELATIVE). But all cars require maintenance and yes the 600 most likely will cost more to fix. Why should a 600 cost the same to tune up as a 320 when its double the performance (since its 2 320 motors). Shouldnt it be double to fix? I dont think the 600 is asking too much for what it gives in return.

Here is the bottom line (or at least my opinion on the bottom line):

When I open my garage, and I SEE the 600 sitting there all shiny with those badges (V12) and when I get into the car and sit on that nappa leather, wrap my hands around that burlwood steering wheel, (all standard in the 600), and then I start the car (I love the way the starter sounds like an airplane). When I back her out of the driveway (my neighbors are always looking and smiling), and take her for a drive, (I cant even hear the motor or wind or road most of the time unless I smash on it), the looks I get on the freeway, the looks she gets when shes parked (even though shes 11 years old), and MOSTLY and I mean MOSTLY, when I step on that gas and feel the flagship of mercedes engineering (she is TRULY a ROCKET SHIP), I ALWAYS TELL MYSELF THAT THIS CAR WAS WORTH EVERY DIME I HAVE SPENT AND WILL SPEND!!!!!!

I bet I am not the only 600 owner who feels this. The car is just awesome to drive and that 420 foot pounds of torque tells me that everytime I step on the gas!!!

Good luck with your search but I would not rely on so many negative opinions from people that havent even ever had the privaledge to drive one of mercedes finest works of engineering!

Attachments

#24 ·
Here is my problem with all the negative threads on the 600. Most (not all) but MOST negative threads about this motor come from people who DONT own a 600. I dont know if its penis envy (or v12 envy) or just pure speculation that this motor is bad. I have done an extensive research on this forum and found about 95 percent (my own estimate) of 600 owners out there LOVE their cars. Yes there are a few bad motors out there and yes some motors have cause more problem for the owner then some others. But lets do research on the other motors (the 500, 420, and 320). I would bet that there are more then 5 percent owners of those vehicles that HATE their car and I bet there are MORE bad motors from those owners then 600 owners. So in my humble opinion its all relative. I am not going to bash 320 or 420 owners because I have never owned one, driven one, or even rode in one. I DO however own a 95 s500 coupe and I love that car as well, and its caused me minimal problems just like my 600 (ITS ALLLLL RELATIVE). But all cars require maintenance and yes the 600 most likely will cost more to fix. Why should a 600 cost the same to tune up as a 320 when its double the performance (since its 2 320 motors). Shouldnt it be double to fix? I dont think the 600 is asking too much for what it gives in return. Here is the bottom line (or at least my opinion on the bottom line): When I open my garage, and I SEE the 600 sitting there all shiny with those badges (V12) and when I get into the car and sit on that nappa leather, wrap my hands around that burlwood steering wheel, (all standard in the 600), and then I start the car (I love the way the starter sounds like an airplane). When I back her out of the driveway (my neighbors are always looking and smiling), and take her for a drive, (I cant even hear the motor or wind or road most of the time unless I smash on it), the looks I get on the freeway, the looks she gets when shes parked (even though shes 11 years old), and MOSTLY and I mean MOSTLY, when I step on that gas and feel the flagship of mercedes engineering (she is TRULY a ROCKET SHIP), I ALWAYS TELL MYSELF THAT THIS CAR WAS WORTH EVERY DIME I HAVE SPENT AND WILL SPEND!!!!!! I bet I am not the only 600 owner who feels this. The car is just awesome to drive and that 420 foot pounds of torque tells me that everytime I step on the gas!!! Good luck with your search but I would not rely on so many negative opinions from people that havent even ever had the privaledge to drive one of mercedes finest works of engineering!
Still the best post on here.

#8 ·
I love my car and wouldn't even think of getting rid of it....

BUT.........as J.P. Morgan said when someone asked about the upkeep costs of his yacht "Corsair"

"Anyone who has to ask the cost has no business owning one".

I'm basically a masochist who enjoys hearing my visa card flip through the dealer's scanner.

Seriously, they were extremely expensive cars when new ( the sticker on mine was $93,500 and that's 1993 dollars!) and they are expensive to repair and maintain. Don't even consider one unless you have money ( I'd say roughly $2000-3000 a year) to repair and maintain the beast.

#10 ·
There's a little aspect that no-one has mentioned yet..
I don't know the exact salesfigures for the respective models in the US or in the world for that sake..
But, an estimate would say that there could be 10 other models, for each 600.. Or more !
Wich means, maximum 10% of all 140's sold is 600's..
The other 90% have other engines. (280/300/320/400/420/500 and the diesels)

If you use this in your estimate, the numbers would turn around significantly.
Then you would see how many of the 600's that have problems..

It's the same thing when consumerreports MUST take the total sales into the math.
If one houndred 600's have problems, of one thousand sold in US.. Then it gives 10%
If one houndred 320's have problems, of six thousans sold in US.. Then it gives 5,3%
Half the trouble for these cars..

But, if I had the cash I would get one for myself.. It's a totally unbelivable car.

#11 ·
It is a great car and I have test driven loads of them, they are still great today but if you cant afford the maintenence then dont buy. Remember all is times 12.

#12 ·
I didn’t know all the up and downs about the V12 before I brought it, but still would have brought mine regardless. It’s one of those cars that when you have one, man it feels good.I’ve always wanted a Benz but never thought about the 600, probably because I thought it was to far out of reach, but I’m glad I reached out and got it. Like most cars your gonna have some problems and being a Benz it’s gonna cost. Your gotta pay to play cause it cost to be the Boss.:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Interesting. I have been smitten by the idea of owning an S600 from the 90's, but I am trying to justify owning one. Is it a sensible car to just drive around town? Or is it the kind of car meant to go 100mph on a long trip? Or does the joyful satisfaction come from just having one? Seems like it would be prudent to have a small Ford Fiesta, for example, to drive to the grocery store to get a loaf of bread while reserving the 600 for a Saturday or Sunday excursion. I don't know. From whence comes the satisfaction?

#14 · (Edited)
the satisfaction comes ALL DAY EVERYDAY whether you are doing 100 or 10mph. But more satisfaction does come when shes cruising at 130mph at 3500 rpms (the car runs so effortlessly). Even when she is sitting in the garage. My 600 is my daily driver and I have put 20k miles on her in less then a year and NOOOOOOO problems (well little ones that dont keep me awake). Actually taking her to the grocery store is a great satisfaction because of how many people look at this 11 year old car. Something about those v12 badges that get people to look. Yes you can go get a 320 and buy some v12 badges (most of us will notice its a fake) but like I said, go test drive one....you will be a believer once you do. Most of the people who say negative things about the maintenance of a 600 have NEVER driven one. Ask ANYONE who owns a 600 if they have any regrets or ask any if they didnt like the performance..

With all do respect to her passing, there was a reason why princess diana was being driven in one....if she was in any other car she probably would have died instantly. My point is the 600 was and still is the mercedes "flagship"... its a car for "royalty"....go drive one and watch how you feel..

#21 · (Edited)
Earlier in the day Diana and Dodi were traveling in an armored S600 (with Range Rover in tow) owned by Dodi. To divert paparazzi from capturing the infidelity, the 600 and Rover left from the hotel's front, while Diani and Dodi left in a hotel owned S280 from the rear. Reports are mixed on two points: (1) whether or not the driver was intoxicated and (2) whether or not the 280 was armored. Contrary to common perception, an armored vehicle may perform worse in an accident for a number of reasons: (1) more difficult to maneuver away from the impending danger, (2) added weight creates more force upon impact, and (3) potential for structural compromise when making the auto (point being only go with a factory direct MB Guard or BMW Protection auto). Either way, the 280 hotel loaner was likely not armored. Wonder what ever came about of the 600...

#23 ·
Thank you for this information, for years ive refused to believe it was a S600 and this just clarifies it. If it were an S600 the damage would not have been so bad, but the impact would have been greater so she would most probably of been killed anyway.

#22 ·
I am sorry guys for my wrong information. I thought she was in a 6 but regardless if she was in any other brand car, she may have not been recognizable from that bad impact...the point is mercedes engineering and safety standards are the best bar none..

#25 ·
If you're a knowledgeable mechanic, or crafty do-it-yourselfer willing to learn, you can make a 1994 S600 work. I actually like the pre-OBD2 cars better than the 1996-up cars. All you need is a Snap-On scan tool with the few necessary test chips, and with some time, reading and a Mercedes manual, you can figure out most problems.
If you're not mechanically inclined and a rookie working outside in the driveway with cheap hand tools, you're probably not going to fix it. I've been working on cars 40 years and my 94 S600 was a real challenge. Not only diagnosis, but also access and repair, even after you find out what's wrong with it.
The basic engine, transmission, rear axle are pretty damned bulletproof from the factory, if the fluid levels are kept topped off and changed regularly, and the car is not abused, overheated, over-revved, etc.
downside of the cars, even the coupes, is they are very heavy. even the coupe is banging on 5000 lbs. With some diligent emissions control deletes, they wake up and are an enjoyable car to drive, especially on long trips. for short jaunts around town under 10 mile round trips, they are a bit cumbersome, and overkill. these cars were made to tour. think of it this way- if you want to go fishing in the pond, you don't take the Queen Mary ocean liner. you take a canoe or rowboat. I took mine on a 12 hour ride each way, from Pa. to Maine and back, and it was exhilarating. great experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.