I broke my shifter - alldata SUCKS! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1992 500SEL W140
Send a message via ICQ to You4eea
I broke my shifter - alldata SUCKS!

I can't believe it, something so freaking simple and I broke it.
I tried turning my shift knob counter-clockwise and it turned but then stop .25 of the way, I looked down the only litle hole I could see thru and notice that the casting that the shaft goes down is missing .25 of itself. I busted the casting.

I looked all over alldata and I even email them for the schematics and no luck.
I looked all over the net and I found just a handfull of diy's on it but nothing that was working for me. ALLDATA HAS NO INFO ON THIS, WHAT GOOD IS IT, IF IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A HOW TO CHANGE THE BULB IN THE SHIFTER SCHEMATICS.

I have gotten more information, help, part numbers and even somethime picture of step by step instructions from this forum than alldata, I do not recomend it to anyone.

I'm Done with my Rant! I'm going to cool off a while

Remember, use all fingers when waiving at the police!
You4eea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Gutted man that sucks, this is why I don't do alot of DIY as I know I'm not a pro.
NZ Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Bayonet mount

I feel for you, I was going to change mine, read a lot of stuff. and decided not to. There have been some people who got it out, at least one person warned about the clevis breaking. I hope you can get the part. The MB DVD shows it to a certain degree, it is spring loaded and on a shaft, which is attached to amother pivot for shifting
I would remove the top of the console, and then the top of the shifter and go from there
Peter Guenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

To be honest it isn't even so much that I broke it, it is that I paid for a year subscription to ALLDATADIY and it has not paid off. I'm actually going to cancel my subscription today.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Guenther
I feel for you, I was going to change mine, read a lot of stuff. and decided not to. There have been some people who got it out, at least one person warned about the clevis breaking. I hope you can get the part. The MB DVD shows it to a certain degree, it is spring loaded and on a shaft, which is attached to amother pivot for shifting
I would remove the top of the console, and then the top of the shifter and go from there
I would have loved to have just removed the shifter knob, that is all I wanted to take off to begin with. But I have no idea if that is even possible.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: SL500, 300SE, ML430, Saturn SCX 1.9L DOHC.
Premium Member
Send a message via MSN to bayhas Send a message via Yahoo to bayhas
Quote:
Originally Posted by You4eea
I can't believe it, something so freaking simple and I broke it.
I tried turning my shift knob counter-clockwise and it turned but then stop .25 of the way, I looked down the only litle hole I could see thru and notice that the casting that the shaft goes down is missing .25 of itself. I busted the casting.

I looked all over alldata and I even email them for the schematics and no luck.
I looked all over the net and I found just a handfull of diy's on it but nothing that was working for me. ALLDATA HAS NO INFO ON THIS, WHAT GOOD IS IT, IF IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A HOW TO CHANGE THE BULB IN THE SHIFTER SCHEMATICS.

I have gotten more information, help, part numbers and even somethime picture of step by step instructions from this forum than alldata, I do not recomend it to anyone.

I'm Done with my Rant! I'm going to cool off a while
Let me guess without looking at your profile, you have a 1992 or 1993.

These models have older shifter style, that you have to disassemble the shifter box and take a tention ring out before you can get the shifter with rod out.

All after makket sources fail to mention this fact, the only place i found any info about that was WIS, after I broke mine.

That being said:
There is 3 models of shifters

1992-1993 need to take the whole box apart to remove the rod

1994-1995 press down and spin counter clock wise to

1996-1999 knob can be removed without the rod.

Garage:
Mercedes-Benz, W140 S Class S320 (AKA 300SE)

Mercedes-Benz, R129 SL Class SL500 (AKA 500SL)

Mercedes-Benz, W163 ML Class ML430 (Designo Edition)

Triumph Daytona 955i - SSSA

Former Mercs:
W140 S Class 500SEL (sold) - W140 S Class S500 (sold) - W140 S Class 500SEL (sold) - W201 190E 2.3 (sold)
bayhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: SL500, 300SE, ML430, Saturn SCX 1.9L DOHC.
Premium Member
Send a message via MSN to bayhas Send a message via Yahoo to bayhas
And it gets worse, you have to take the center console off to fix this thing.

at this point you have 2 options:

Either a used shifter assembly (about 100 bucks, you might wanna upgrade to the 1994 style while you're at it, just make sure the shifter pattern is the same)

OR

Contact the dealer and see if you can get the broken part (must be cheaper than the first option, but the question here is do they sell that thing by itself)

Either way you go, you still have to take the shifter plastic box off to get it fixed = taking the center console off.

Last edited by bayhas; 12-15-2006 at 11:01 AM.
bayhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
I always considered Alldata as just one of many tools, along with a "factory" service manual in book form or CD, dealership experience, mechanical background growing up as a kid, tinkering on cars all your life, etc. The W140 is not the most DIY friendly even for the more experienced mechanics/technicians. A lot of independents and even MB dealership employees have a challenge at times with these cars and others so if you plan on taking on the repairs yourself you need lots of patience and need to know when it's time to pay to get it done, (hopefully by someone who knows how) They tend to over engineer a lot of stuff (for instance, look how they attach these door panels!). Do some research in your area for a qualified shop just in case, we all have to bite the bullet at times. Just something to think about....
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

bayhas:

I have saw another post of your that explained the differences also, of course after I broke my shifter.

Thankfully I can still use it, and it stay straight, it takes some force for it to turn CCW so it is find for a while.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 04:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
The MB manual says "neutral, push down, and twist" I am not trying it!
Peter Guenther is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class