Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

S500 - won't downshift with switch

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bhatt 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have an S500 and the kickdown switch doesn't do anything. Pushing the throttle 3/4 of the way to the floor causes the transmission to shift down (depending on speed). But when I push the pedal to the floor, it won't shift down a gear. I can hear the switch clicking but it doesn't do anything.

I can get on the highway at 70km/h and shift from 4th to 3rd. But flooring it and engaging kickdown should cause it to shift to 2nd, and it doesn't. The trip from 70km/h to 140km/h is way slower than it should be.

Any thoughts? I looked at the switch but it looks really hard to remove (need to remove all the carpet down there).

Is there something I can test other than removing the switch and putting an ohmmeter on it to check if it is working?

Talked to someone who has fixed these before, and he said "It's rarely the switch.. Almost always it's a wiring problem or something else".

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.