Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

All of you should read this. My appreciation know no bounds

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Desert_Fox 
#1 ·
HI fellow 140 owners.

Just bought my first Benz '93 300SEL. I bought it very cheap (£800), because it had 'a couple' of problems, and as always, when i got the car home and into

the garage and decided to investigate further. Being a sensible type of guy i started at the front and worked my way towards the back, note pad in hand.

Herein follow my short list of problems.

1. Oil pressure drops to zero above 3k revs

2. Powersteering extremely noisy

3. Speedo not working and ABS light on.

4. Dashboard flashing occasionally when using wipers, indicators

5. Climate control playing silly buggers

6. Lumbar supports not working

7. Head rests not workin

8. Rear climate Ditto front climate control

9. Rear drivers side door not locking

10. Rear electric seat adjustment not working

11. Rear electric Headrests not working

12. Rear sunblind not working

13 Boot (trunk) Will not lock with c/locking

14 reversing aids not retracting

15 no reverse lights

Now dont get me wrong, i know i got it cheap, but after a few initial phone enquiries, i was ready to go hang myself, especially after getting quotes on new

dash pod, steering pump and vacuum pump. But you can all breathe a sigh of relief because i found this website. What a god send!!!

Apart from the cost of giving the car a GOOD service ( changed all the filters+plugs ) and replacing the weak jubilee clips on the steering pump and a 10amp

fuse ( To get the ABS computer working) its cost me absolutely nothing to get the car 110% correct and working perfectly.

I am soooo pleased with it, but more impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this forum. If any of you live near cornwall UK pop down to Newquay coz i

wanna buy you all a beer.

I definately gonna put some good info back in the forums, i like the knowledge base and am thinking of setting up a proper 'How to' thread with photo's etc,

etc.

Once again thanks to you all

See less See more
#5 ·
I changed the power steering fluid when i replaced the jubilee clips. Am still amased i managed to fix absolutely all the faults. Its in really good condition. Its originally from saudi arabia and was imported to the uk in 1998. Its got absolutely no rust on it at all. Only downside is that the speedo reads Kph rather than mph. So i've now got a sticker on the dash with the mph conversions on it. I should imagine there will be a company somewhere doing proper decals for it. Oh, also there's lots of sand everywhere! Next jobs is to replace the front pads and then enjoy!

Attachments

#7 ·
Great minds think alike. The alloys are the only thing that let it down, they're 17" with 225/45/ front and 235/45 rear. I wouldnt mind a set of AMG monoblock alloy but i think they only come in 18" or above and i'd like slightly higher profile tyres say 225/50's or 55's, to give the suspension a break before it breaks! Higher side wall tyres have more give. Just gotta find a set really

#8 ·
idleduffer said:
Great minds think alike. The alloys are the only thing that let it down, they're 17" with 225/45/ front and 235/45 rear. I wouldnt mind a set of AMG monoblock alloy but i think they only come in 18" or above and i'd like slightly higher profile tyres say 225/50's or 55's, to give the suspension a break before it breaks! Higher side wall tyres have more give. Just gotta find a set really
I must say, I'm not sold on the wheels aswell. You can get AMG's in 17' or atleast AMG style wheels in 17'. My speedo is KPH but it also has MPH on it do you only have KPH?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.