Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W140 Too Charming? Advice Wanted

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  pweber5 
#1 ·
I've been cruising around the different MB sedan forums around here for the past several weeks. It's a great website BTW. I'm trying to sell my '88 BMW and a Mercedes is a car I've always wanted--plus they have great reliability, something my BMW sometimes lacks.

I'm smitten with the W124 E class. I think it's one of the most quinessential MBs. But then a W126 popped up in my area. I checked it out, drove it, and liked it. But I don't think I want another 16+ year-old car, and I'd like a warranty with it, which is something that wasn't offered.

I drove a '96 S320 when I was looking for a W124. The dealership had both, so I figured, why not? At first I didn't like the W140--it was heavy, too quiet, too disconnected from the road. But the more I drove it...the more I liked it. It just settled down and went. Cool.

I haven't seriously considered a W140 because of the complexity of the car (for example, the door and trunk auto-closures really bother me). But a '97 S320 (with about 94,000 miles) popped up in my area for a good price, so I'm thinking more seriously about it.

I want a car that is reliable that I don't have to fix all the time. From what I've read, the '95+ W140s are better in that regard. I know that repair costs are more than a W124, but how much different are the costs?

I guess my question is this: for someone without a whole lot of cash to spend on maintenance and repairs, would a W140 be a poor choice? I don't mind spending money to maintain a car, but I hate constant little problems that costs $$$ to repair. That's why I'm getting rid of my BMW. I like the W124 because it doesn't have all the gadgets and gizmos of the W140, but the W140 is a charmer and the ultimate Benz.

Why do you guys think? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
pweber5 said:
I guess my question is this: for someone without a whole lot of cash to spend on maintenance and repairs, would a W140 be a poor choice?
In so many words yes. HOWEVER, the 1997-1999 is supposed to be as good as it gets for reliability. There are not too many people here with a 97-99 that have problems. Check out the 100% W140 thread to give you an idea. Also 90k miles is pretty good low miles for these cars. I think that if you do spend the cash and get the 97 over an earlier one it will be worth it for you providing the car has no major problems.

#3 ·
I've got a '97 S320 LWB. Had I been to this site before I bought it, I would not have purchased it. But, the car has been really reliable and just about faultless just like all my Benzes before it so as it stands I'm glad I bought it. I occassionaly think of selling it because the wife and I have 3 very large 4 door sedans (the other two are Cadillacs) and I could use a "toy" car like a Porsche or Vette but just when I'm about to put it in the AutoTrader I have second thoughts and dont do it. These really are great cars.

#5 ·
You'll be getting yourself into the same sitaution you're in now. The W140 is a magnificent car, but my experience has been that there is always something new that needs to be repaired. It's just something one has to accept when they decide to buy a W140.

#6 ·
NZ Benz said:
In so many words yes. HOWEVER, the 1997-1999 is supposed to be as good as it gets for reliability. There are not too many people here with a 97-99 that have problems. Check out the 100% W140 thread to give you an idea. Also 90k miles is pretty good low miles for these cars. I think that if you do spend the cash and get the 97 over an earlier one it will be worth it for you providing the car has no major problems.
yea, the 97-99 are the most advanced, but since they were the last ones made of the 140's, most of the small problems were worked out by MB. Just a couple more thousand for a nice one, and you should be set. If you get one, definitely get an extended warranty, just in case, and if you could do any pre-purchase inspection, that would be great. Best of luck on your decision. :)

#7 ·
You have to understand. More complex the car, the more things that will break down in the long run.
Mercedes IS NOT the most dependable car in the world. So dont fool yourself.
A Toyota or a Lexus will outrun a Benz or BMW anytime when it comes to reliability.
So any Benz will need some care here and there, some of it is rational, and some of it is out of this world. Depends how the car was taken care off.
Lexus makes a great imitation W140s, called LS400. Car looks the same, runs better and does everything a Merc does. But it lacks character.
Your choice.
just be prepared to spend some mone when the time comes.

Good luck

#8 ·
Tbilisi79 said:
You have to understand. More complex the car, the more things that will break down in the long run.
Mercedes IS NOT the most dependable car in the world. So dont fool yourself.
A Toyota or a Lexus will outrun a Benz or BMW anytime when it comes to reliability.
So any Benz will need some care here and there, some of it is rational, and some of it is out of this world. Depends how the car was taken care off.
Lexus makes a great imitation W140s, called LS400. Car looks the same, runs better and does everything a Merc does. But it lacks character.
Your choice.
just be prepared to spend some mone when the time comes.

Good luck
I actually checked out a Lexus LS400. It was a pretty car, great interior, nice ride, quiet...but it was boring. I admire Japanese engineering, but (with rare exceptions) they're soulless. Sitting next to the E320 I like, it just didn't have the same presence.

I think I'm still going to keep a W140 in mind if I find a nice one, but you guys have said what I've already been thinking. Thanks for all your help, and I'll keep you posted on what I end up getting. :)

#9 ·
Well guys, I still haven't bought a car yet. I almost bought a '95 E320, but the dealer basically pulled a bait-and-switch on the warranty coverage and the amount for my trade, so I walked. That pissed me off.

But, I found the nicest W140 I have driven (and I've driven four). It's a 1995 S320, and I'm very close to signing the dotted line. It's got 72,000 miles, absolutely pristine condition, and I can get a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on it (well, pretty much--it doesn't cover wear items like rotors, pads, shocks, trim pieces, etc.; all OE mechanical and electrical equipment is covered).

The total cost out the door (with my trade, warranty, tax, etc.) is about $15,700. It's more than I was planning to spend, but I also didn't think I could get a 5 year warranty either. Plus, it's a hell of a car, and drove so smoothly and quietly I thought I was in a rolling living room.

So, with the warranty, the car seems like a great deal to me. What do you think?

#10 ·
I think thats a bit too much, plus you mentioned with your "trade in", also as you mentioned the warranty wont do you any good on regular repairs these cars are famous for. Way too much for a 95 I think. Check out this auction but becareful never to buy a car without inspecting or test driving it. Check all fluid levels and guages, oil pressure should go to 3 at higher RPMs and temp guage shouldnt go pass 100. Observe vibrations at different speeds and check all the locks and door vacuuming. I think you can get a newer model for that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...ategoryZ6336QQihZ012QQitemZ220027637429QQrdZ1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.