Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bullet Proofing

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  NZ Benz 
#1 · (Edited)
Another person who has never seen double paned windows, poor young man explained that the guy who sold him the car said that the windows, doors and floor had armor plating and bullet proofing. I inspected the car and well, standard double glazing and heavy doors.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/192643015.html

#3 ·
he he he and 22" wheels, if you can call them that will not support the weight of 3.5 tonne car. Secondly only 600's are modifed not 400 and look at the wind shield of the real B6/B7 factory armored merc. Do you see the difference?

Attachments

#5 ·
lol everybody asks me all the time when im rolling up/down my windows ooh.. you have bullet proof windows.. I tell them that back in the early 90's all the goverment officials and delegates drove this car so mercedes made the windows standard bulletproof on all 140's... lol. I bet it will take 1 shot.. but the next shot is coming thru.. by then I will pedal to the medal and im like out of there..

#6 ·
it will not take even one shot for the simple reason that it just double standard glass window. Bullet proof glass is made from special material not just glass and much thicker than 2 windows size. it's equal to 10 window thick. But you will definately need to hits with baseball bat ;))

#7 ·
a typical bullet wont be effective after going through 2 sheets of glass, it could be hurting but not killer...

#8 ·
bayhas said:
a typical bullet wont be effective after going through 2 sheets of glass, it could be hurting but not killer...
Depends what they use as a weapon and the distance.

#9 ·
S-BOPOH said:
Depends what they use as a weapon and the distance.
true...

#10 ·
Last year, my car was "shot" by a vandal while I was in church... They hit the two passenger side windows and the police informed me that they either used a .22 or a 9mm. Needless to say, the would-be bullet did not break through both pains of glass. It mearly shattered the outter pain while the inner one was perfectly fine... However, had they shot twice, it would have def. entered the vehicle. Lucky for me no one was in it!

#11 ·
dantefr said:
Last year, my car was "shot" by a vandal while I was in church... They hit the two passenger side windows and the police informed me that they either used a .22 or a 9mm. Needless to say, the would-be bullet did not break through both pains of glass. It mearly shattered the outter pain while the inner one was perfectly fine... However, had they shot twice, it would have def. entered the vehicle. Lucky for me no one was in it!
did it shatter the outer layer? or did it poke a hole in it?

#12 ·
Both, there was an impact point and the shatter was around it. I'm probably the furthest thing from an expert on this matter, I'm basing it on what the cop told me. He said several other high-end cars had the same thing happen throughout the previous few week and one witness said he heard a loud shot. He also took a look at the window and the impact point and said he thought it was a .22 or 9mm.

#13 ·
he also mentioned .25, .32, and a bunch of other calibers, but the range was .22 to 9mm

#16 ·
I am not an expert at Armoring a vehicle, but
.22 caliber bullet will not do that much harm if fired at a person, if fired at a car even less (unless it hits a head, face or other vital body parts).
9mm is a bit more lethal, .38, .45 or .50 is very deadly. Massive power and destructive force. .45 shot at a person will most probably kill him.

All the best.

#17 ·
Tbilisi79 said:
I am not an expert at Armoring a vehicle, but
.22 caliber bullet will not do that much harm if fired at a person, if fired at a car even less (unless it hits a head, face or other vital body parts).
9mm is a bit more lethal, .38, .45 or .50 is very deadly. Massive power and destructive force. .45 shot at a person will most probably kill him.

All the best.

.22 will still kill you it's very close to 9mm.

#18 ·
Oh, people, c'mon, 9mm will penetrate double glazed window and will kill a person if aimed at it from 5m distance 100%. Might as well send this to mythbusters to test it out ;))

#19 ·
S-BOPOH said:
Oh, people, c'mon, 9mm will penetrate double glazed window and will kill a person if aimed at it from 5m distance 100%. Might as well send this to mythbusters to test it out ;))

yes we all know that. I am just saying, a 22 bullet is small, not as damaging as say 9mm or .45 that will blow out a torso.

#22 ·
tommyb2b said:
wow thats cool! if i were to hit my winshield with a bat would it break the glass?
There is a thread around here somewhere where a guy over here in NZ got a brick thrown at his window and it only broke the outer pane, but if say for example they threw another it would have gone through. So to answer your question the windows are good for the 1st hit with a bat but after that.....:crybaby2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.