698 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MGySgt. Anders 
#1 ·
I own 1996 S-500 with 147,000 miles.
Car issues as follows:
1. Diagnosed as needing mass air flow sensor
2. On acceleration, there is a rather loud clunking
sound (trying to shift) Not sure if this is
transmission related.
Anyone have experience with a similar problem?? Could this simply be a need for transmission fluid, filters, etc??
Need some guidance, please.
BIGBOB

#2 · (Edited)
Go to Bayhas (is an experienced S Class member) and read his web site. I went to alldata.com and joined for my S420 diagonstics. Is a great site as well! I had a small shift issue as well, I changed my transmission filter and fluid and shift issue went away. If it does not.... the modulator that controls the transmission may be another area of opportunity! Go to the "alldata.com" site and read their diagnostics! It was the best $24 bucks (USA $$) for a year membership that I have ever spent! I have also been guided to carefully clean my Mass Air Flow sensor's inlet screen before changing/ replacing same. The MASS unit is very spendy ($$$), check on the WEB if you need a new unit, I have found alot of original Mercedes parts online at 1/2 dealership cost also original Dutchland/Mercedes parts. My S420 is alot of fun and also work at times. But definately worth it! Semper Fi! Gunner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.