Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1998 S420 Newbie - Intitial Problems

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  inetd 
#1 ·
Well, I have had the car for 17 days. 124k miles, serviced at Knauz in Chicago every 5k miles. So far the following:

1. burned out 3rd Stoplight bulb (none available locally so I had to order).

2. When I stopped the car at a stop sign about 4 inches of snow slid off the roof and into the wipers causing them to fail (break-away piece broke). $271.20 but covered by comprehensive insurance.

3. Ticking noise in driver's side head. I checked this website and read about the oil guides. I took it to an independent MB mechanic and he changed all the oil guides on the driver's side. He said he would change the other when another oil guide failed. $unknown until I pick it up today.

4. NEXT???????

#2 ·
RE: 1998 S420 Newbie - Intitial Problems/Followup

FWIW the repair of the 8 oil guide tubes for the driver's side bank was about $400.00. My independent mechanic said that there was no reason to replace the other bank until a ticking noise arose there.

#4 ·
Ron,

Don't know what it is about those high-mount stop lamps, but they do seem to be a weak point. At about US$15 per bulb, not inexpensive either. As for the rest, why was there four inches of snow on top? Didn't yo' mama ever give you a broom and make you sweep off the cars? And you're in southern Indiana? At least geographically, that isn't too far south. I survived the blizzard of '78 in Bloomington hanging out with the music students and sloloming down some hills in a '65 Chevy Bel Air.

Enjoy the car.

#5 ·
I can't remember the exact bulb number, but I purchased the 3rd stop light bulb once from the local advance autoparts. Sylvania brand, made in france, $3.00
The only bulbs I've had to buy from the stealership have been the smaller speedo cluster bulbs $6 ea. Even the larger speedo cluster bubls can be obtained from your local auto store that number is W3W.

#6 ·
Did the bulb spec change over time? This same member, Alfaron, previously posted about his trouble finding the culprit causing his exterior lamp dash light to come on. He reported same problem I had: none of the local auto parts emporia had the bulb for the high mount stop lamp. I resorted to the dealer, Alfaron ordered it through NAPA. Cost was about the same; US$12 through NAPA, US$15 from the dealer.

#7 ·
There were four inches of snow on the roof of the car because it snowed ;)

I typically don't sweep the snow off with a broom because the broom will scratch the paint surface.

Interestingly enough, I have a ten car garage but it is full of cars that I have taken off the road for winter or that are in process of restoration (all Alfas). So both Mercedes and my 89 SHO sit outside. Obviously misplaced priorities....

#8 ·
hey how is that 83 911 SC ? I would like to get a 911 and have read that the 1989 is the best year to get...any info on that being true or not?

As for the rest??:
front end - lots of stuff..control arm businings, sway bar ends, shocks, pads, rotors, bearings, springs.

headlight wiper motors. that's a good one.

GM

#9 ·
If any help I replaced my 3rd top stop lamp's holder base and the lamp... but I applied a small amount of the anti corrisive lubricant to lamp holder and the lamp base to ensure no corrision builds up over time allowing increased resistance (ie: heat, etc) and all the lamp problems have gone away! Hope this helps (I am a retired electrical enginner and would like to help anyway I can! Semper Fi! MGySgt Anders or just plain ol Gunner!

G
#10 ·
Ron, as you've noticed by reading around on this forum, 140s can present many issues. If you've just purchased a 98 and you've only got 3 writeups, then you've done real well - but don't hold your breath.

The car will continue to age, and with it give you your share of trouble. If you keep up with it, you'll be rewarded in spades. If you neglect it, are unprepared, or fight the whole idea, then it'll get you in the end.

You may want to look at my website http://baxnet.com/merc for just a few of the things a 140 will throw at you. I've got 3 140s now, and they keep me hopping. At no point did I buy one "because I just had to have it". I knew well in advance what it would take to keep them going. I even purchased a spare 119.980 (5L V8), rebuilt it from the long block, placed it into the worst condition motor I had, now I'm rebuiding that one (2cd one). It's a hobby. A passion. No other way I can explain it.

A 140 is one of the few automobiles that will truly reward you with your efforts - and they will be plenty. I would hope any purchaser of 140's would know this prior to the purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.