Outside Temperature Sensor - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 1994 S320
Outside Temperature Sensor

Where is the outside temperature sensor AND what does it look like - on a 1994 S320 (right hand drive - South Africa)?

I have looked at other postings on this forum for the same information but mostly it conflicts.

I have tried to take a look behind the front bumper (the car does not have spotlights in the bumper) but I cannot see much as there are panels that restrict access to this area and before I start removing these panels and / or bumper I would like to be sure that I am looking in the right place and what I am looking for.

I think that it is just a loose connection or exposed wire because the sensor works fine in dry weather but just as soon as there is some wet weather or after the car has been washed the sensor's reading plumets to very low figures but after the car has been driven for a while (I assume that this dries out the problem) the sensor again climbs to (what I believe to be) the right temperature.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Dale Paterson
Email: dpaterso@fleetfocus.net
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
RE: Outside Temperature Sensor

On my 92 300CE it was on the front bumper by the licence plate. On my 97 S500 it is located inside the front bumper. I was having problems with the eronious readings I was getting. When I did the 60k mile service I had the car on the rack and removed the front panel covering the oil pan. This exposed the temp sensor, which fell off the mounting bracket on the right side of the bumper.

Cheers,
Steve
SteveUrban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
RE: Outside Temperature Sensor

on my 96 coupe its behind a small grille on the lhs of the bumper at the front. its a small 'stick' about 5mm diameter, 30mm long, black, ribbed a bit and has a wire on it. clipped to the plastic of the bumper.

the common fix is to remove it, and solder in a new one using as much new wire as possible as is a pig to remove from the dash.

part 001 542 26 18 "sender unit, outside temerature feeler" 40ish us dollars (very ish)
guydewdney is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class