Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

4th gear not shifting

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Merc600sec 
#1 ·
I need help on my s280. When I purchased the car, I notice that I had only 4 gears and based on the revs, thhe trany is skipping the 4th gear. I had the transmission rebuilt, but the problem still persist. Besides a full rebuild, I had the torgue convertor and valve body replaced.

Does anyone out there have any idea what's the problem?

Denis.

#2 ·
Just to make sure . . . be sure that you are selecting the correct gear with your gear selector.

With my Dad's 5-speed 300SE, he all of a sudden started putting the car into 4th gear instead of 5th gear (it is a 5-speed) and thought he had transmission problems [:p]

With the 5-Speed, you push the selector to the left until it "clicks" to go from 5th gear to 4th gear. Maybe there is something similar on your car (I am not familiar with the S280). I have also heard of the gear selector malfunctioning where the "click" is broken so that the selector can rock between 4th and 5th gears (if this makes any sense?).

Just start with checking the easy things first.

Good luck!
Bryan

#4 ·
DenisThomas - 1/13/2005 10:59 AM

Hi Bryan, thanks for the caution, but I have also got the gear lever checked and serviced. There is no gearchange (It stays on the 5th) when I toggle the lever between the 5th and 4th. I am in my wits end trying to get have this problem solved.

Denis.
Does your gear selector work in the other positions? For example, if you select 3, will the tarnsmission only shift up to third gear?

Regards,
Bryan

#5 ·
Hi there,

Does the kick-down activate easily or labour?
I had a similar problem on my 92MY W140 and problem was rectified by raplacenet of pressure transducer in the gearbox. Although the dealer rectified the problem, he advised that problem may re-occur.......no guarantee!!! And with a cost of $1400!!!
Hope you have a cheaper solution.

#6 ·
My car always starts in second gear...
first is not used..unless selected or as a result of kickdown..I think you will find yours is the same.. try a progression from the bottom of the box 1-through to D shifting manually.. see if you then have 5.. what is the number of your gearbox.. will be written on your delvery sheet..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.