Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How hard is change valve guides without pulling the head?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jhodg5ck 
#1 ·
How hard is to changeout the valve guides while the motor is still in the car. Passinger side #2 and # 3 is getting soaked with oil in no time. The car has over 250K on it.Can I use and extention on the plugs?

T.I.A
Prasad

#2 ·
Valve guides?

It is not possible on any engine to replace the valve guides without removing the head, because the valves ,must be removed to perform the task.

Are you reffering to valve seals [?][?][?]

If so, these can be replaced with the head on. MB have a specail tool for the job.

#4 ·
Head Re-Build..

If those are the stock heads/valve guides etc your engine is Way past when the heads should have been pulled and re-conditioned. I would wager all your valve guides are Quite sloppy at this point, and head work would bring back a very noticeable amount of power. Have you checked your compression lately?

Just as an FYI, 560's driven around town most of their life will get to about 150K before they could stand head work, predominetly highway mileage cars will see about 200K before it's time.

Valve guide seals may stop your oil consumption for a while, but it is just a stop gap fix..

Regards
jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.