How much $ should it cost to fix vacuum leak in intake manifold? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 01:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much $ should it cost to fix vacuum leak in intake manifold?

My local MB dealer has quoted me about $1,600 to repair a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, which they say is causing a high idle.

I'm no mechanic, so I don't know exactly what this means, but it sure sounds like a lot of $.

Does anyone out there know how much this should cost, or whether they are trying to take me to the cleaners?

I think if it really is a $1,600 job, I'll just live with the high idle.

Thanks!

AR[?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 560SEC
How high is your idle? Re-sealing the intake manifold should run about $650. It's not ...

How high is your idle? Re-sealing the intake manifold should run about $650. It's not really a DIY job. $1600 is outrageous. I doubt that it would be causing a high idle anyway, a rough idle yes, but not a high idle.

1989 560SEC
1987 560SEC
#3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 1983 300 SD
Idle Problems..

What kind of vehicle to you have? My 420SEL was idling to slow, so I took the air breather off (easy), pulled off the idle (long skinny tubular metal piece, with adjustments on both ends, that fit on little ball type things), i'm no mechanic, but I fixed my idle myself by adjusting the ends of the idle. I hope this helps, sorry for the lack of terminology!
j.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2000 S430
I have a 2000 S430 with 223,000 miles (one owner - meticulous maintenance), which twice has developed a leak at the intake manifold - the latest being yesterday. It was taken care of both times by simply re-torquing the manifold, which took all of twenty minutes. The local Benz dealer told me that I absolutely MUST replace the manifold ($1,400 + labor). I suggest if you haven't already done so - search for an independent mechanic and have him diagnose your problem.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC *SOLD* 1987 560 SEC Parts car
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabak View Post
My local MB dealer has quoted me about $1,600 to repair a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, which they say is causing a high idle.

I'm no mechanic, so I don't know exactly what this means, but it sure sounds like a lot of $.

Does anyone out there know how much this should cost, or whether they are trying to take me to the cleaners?

I think if it really is a $1,600 job, I'll just live with the high idle.

Thanks!

AR[?]
I agree with others, take it to a german Indy. If they do not have alot of Bently, Porche, MB Audi and BMW in their shop, find others. I had every vacuum line, all rubber coming off the manifold, new seats seals plugs rotor distributor cap, injectors, smoke test, FFR and new valve cover gaskets with timing inspection and ICV for $1,400. I had 17 vacuum leaks, so you have a baseline. You have a Stealer quote, you got me so start working the indy route.

1991 560SEC 199 Black/268 Grey, 17" RS90'S, H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear AMG trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '87 570SEC (FrankenBenz) '87 560SEL (Lisa), '87 560SEC (Bling)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This is a DIY job if you have medium skills and tools. I'd call Gary at BuyeuroParts.com (no affiliation) and he will know what parts you need. Take lots of photos during disassembly so you can put it back together again.

A shop should be able to do this in 5-7 hours (my guess) so you should be good in a weekend. That makes an expensive job into an interesting DIY that costs 20% of the shop.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 18x8.5, ATE slotted rotors with semi-metallics, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip.
In progress - FrankenBenz SEC: GM LS6 5.7L engine with custom 4L60E 4-spd overdrive transmission, GM rack and pinion.
One of my goals with the FrankenBenz is to scare women and children, and to have Lexus drivers spill their latte.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2011
Lifetime Premium Member
I am a newbie and very novice mechanic.i.e. i can use a screwdriver and wrench. i just replaced mine.....twice. If you do it yourself ,make sure you get an OEM gasket(around 85.00) I thought I was getting OEM the first time...wrong.

Stew
1990 560 SEL
1989 560 SEL 28K Miles
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2000 S430
Benzmanstew (LOVE that one!) - thanks for the info, because I intend (we all know what they say about the best intentions, right?) to keep this car for awhile and might have to eventually (I am the first to admit I have been very luck so far!) redo the intake.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class