BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1999 ML430,1991 SEC560,1992 300SL, 1984 190E, 1991 300E,1994 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 4benzes
(Thread Starter)
no dash, lights,radio, console lights(1984 500SEL)

I have a little problem with the 1984 500SEL that I just picked up. I have no dash lights,
console lights, or power to my radio?(though it lights up). I changed all the fuses last night.
I left a message for the previous owner and he sent me an e-mail about a fuse being behind
the dash. I don't know what he is talking about. is there a separate fuse for all of these? I have never sen this type of problem on my other W126's????

Cleveland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2006 500SE, 1972 280SE
This has always been a Benz problem

My console instrumentation and dashboard lights have always given me problems, whether in my 1972 250, or my 1983 500SEL. I can't believe MB hadn't fixed that exact same design flaw between 72 and 83!!

When you twirl and wriggle the dashboard light fader switch - the same which you use to push to reset the trip odometer - you will very likely get the lights to work.

It sometimes takes a LOT of wriggling, but be on the look out for the lights to momentarily come on. Wriggle it slow, slightly pulling or pushing on the switch.

I don't know why I keep buying Benzes... I might call this one my last. Back then, Toyotas and Hondas were pretty crappy but today, you can't argue against the facts - ULEV standards AND 240hp under the hood AND great fuel economy...

#3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1999 ML430,1991 SEC560,1992 300SL, 1984 190E, 1991 300E,1994 E320
Send a message via AIM to 4benzes
(Thread Starter)
Thanks grey, but no luck :-(

On the long trip home from Tenn, that was the first thing that I tried dating back to my first MB(1977 240D. Still no lights came on. Also when I opened the front passenger door, I hear something that sounds like the hazard lights going off down in the passenger footwell, behind the carpeted cover. The hazards aren't acuatlly coming on, but the sound is the same---click,click---click,click??
I will keep searching........

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.