post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Euro Light Swap

I've been searching and I can really only find posts to outdated links (that are expired), posted pictures that don't show up (because they are expired), information for coupes (different lights), or people who installed DEPO units (I assume they are different units than the bosch?)

I finally picked up a set of Bosch units for my 1986 420 SEL. I have found information on the plug wiring so I am not concerned about that whatsoever. I've read that the US wiper units do not directly bolt up (only one bolt lines up), so an adapter has to be made. I am considering doing this, but is there any way to just delete the wipers or are the headlights actually braced by them? Does Mercedes sell a facia to cover the holes? This car is my beater and I do use it in the winter so it would be nice to retain them, but I've read that they don't even do a good job covering the light? Also, I saw daniel stern lists a couple of different lights on his website. Anyone use the Phillips +130 type? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500, 1990 420SEL
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 7074 Post(s)
Depo is an aftermarket reproduction of the Bosch unit. Outside of materials they are identical.

You can delete the wiper arm -most of us have- it's a separate mechanism from the light and get the lower valance from MB without the hole. I believe they're still available. I'm lazy today, someone will jump in with the part number for you.
EEBreh likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1986 560 SEL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
And, just for the future edification of anyone who might give a damn...

The Depot Euro headlights will accept, without any modification, wiper motors (and, of course blades) from a Euro car.

The only other thing you'll need are the escutcheon panels that run under the lamp assemblies and bolt to the fender and radiator support. Euros are different from US federalized models however, I would postulate they could be interchanged. Upon very close examination I found the holes in both types of panels to be punched in the same places. There is a hole for the wiper shaft to go through, which is round, and another for the washer nozzle hose fitting, which is kind of an "X" shape. While the holes are punched in the same places, they are reversed in Euro vs. US. If one is willing to make that "X" shaped hole round (i.e. bore it out) US escutcheons can be used under Euro lamps with matching wiper motors and wipers.

Euro wiper motors will not bolt up to US lamps and vice versa.

I had Euro motors and wipers all ready when I got the Depot lights and they bolted on without any problem whatsoever.
GreenT and EEBreh like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrab View Post
And, just for the future edification of anyone who might give a damn...

The Depot Euro headlights will accept, without any modification, wiper motors (and, of course blades) from a Euro car.

The only other thing you'll need are the escutcheon panels that run under the lamp assemblies and bolt to the fender and radiator support. Euros are different from US federalized models however, I would postulate they could be interchanged. Upon very close examination I found the holes in both types of panels to be punched in the same places. There is a hole for the wiper shaft to go through, which is round, and another for the washer nozzle hose fitting, which is kind of an "X" shape. While the holes are punched in the same places, they are reversed in Euro vs. US. If one is willing to make that "X" shaped hole round (i.e. bore it out) US escutcheons can be used under Euro lamps with matching wiper motors and wipers.

Euro wiper motors will not bolt up to US lamps and vice versa.

I had Euro motors and wipers all ready when I got the Depot lights and they bolted on without any problem whatsoever.
I can confirm that US wipers will mount to euro headlights. I've done it on both our SEC and SEL. On the passenger side, you need to fabricate a short, flat piece of aluminum to make it work but that's simple.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1988 560 sec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Just my 2 cents , when swapping to euros on my sec my son said who is 12 i hope your not putting those wipers back on the car it will look way better without them .

He was right.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 95 E300D, 97 SL500, former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Garage
The blank lower valance panels are available through Mercedes for about $15/each. They will come primered so be sure to buy a can of color matched paint from APS/Tower or someone to paint them.

One thing I have found in the conversion from DOT to Euro headlights is that the bracket on the bottom of the DOT headlight that holds the headlight wiper motor will have to be shaped over to bolt to the bottom of the Euro headlight to provide the bottom anchoring point. It won't fit exactly, so you'll have to use a self drilling sheet metal screw in the hole on the bracket to secure it to the crossbar that's below the headlight.

Dan
mramay and EEBreh like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Garage
The Euros came with my coupe but whoever installed them had absolutely no idea what they were doing The fogs weren't plugged in and the right headlight pod itself was "floppy", wipers had already been removed. I fixed all that by 1) plugging in the fogs (DUH ) under the headlight, hard to see, 2) made a bracket extension so the mounting bracket would reach the bolt hole on the body, 3) got some plastic hole filler plugs, I'll paint the whole panel one day so the plugs won't be so obvious. The GenI Euro bumper has a hole for the light wiper squirter, also filled with a plug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Bracket.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2190618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Holes 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2190626  
GreenT and EEBreh like this.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted, will have new transom wood, new stringers and deck, plans are to upgrade to a V6 Chevy engine, virtually a brand new boat with a 45 year old hull

Dif-tor heh smusma I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means LOL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 1986 420SEL
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help guys!! I can't find the p/n for the headlight trim without the wiper hole. Can any of you give me a hand with it? I spent over 30 minutes on the EPC trying to find it.

Also, for the headlight adjustment, do you guys follow the factory routing method? It looks like the euro cars have a difference vacuum pod? I saw some people hook up the lights to the economy vacuum gauge in the dash and another person said use the AC Vacuum port? Does anyone have the P/N for the check valve, line and the three port vacuum connector? I'll do a little DIY write-up to help the next guy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 95 E300D, 97 SL500, former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Garage
Lower trim panel, below lighting unit, no headlight wiper:

PANELLING. FRONT FENDER for 1990 Mercedes 350 SDL. #1268891563

Right side is a 126 889 1663. Order from your local dealer, plenty in stock.

Dan
Amaze126 and EEBreh like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 2003 SL 550 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love euro headlight swaps on this body style, it looks so much cleaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.