Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear sunshade

5K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 ·
The New-to-me sunshade option on the 1991 560 SEL seems to be all there but inop. Depressing the button , I can hear a click from the package shelf but no action. The shade itself can be manually raised and affixed in the UP position.

WHERE DO I BEGIN

#2 ·
The click from the shelf shows power back there, check the motor and any relays that might be on the assembly.

#3 ·
The sunshades are great. We love ours.

You'll need to remove the rear shelf to get to the motor underneath. It's very straightforward and you should be able to determine what the problem is. I'm guessing the rope (plastic toothed rod that extends the shade) is broken and possibly jamming the motor.

Be very careful removing the plastic cover which covers the gear mechanism. It is likely brittle and you don't want to have to find one of those somewhere.

#16 ·
I got a question, I m trying to repair my sun shade, I have a new nylon rope. I m a bit unsure how it s supposed to work. I understand how the motor will pull up the shade, but what will lower it? I dont see any conection between the nylon rope and the guide rail. Should the blind retract by itself when pulled out? If yes mine just stays out, and have to reroll it by hand. I hope you understand my question...

#7 ·
So it looks like this part is discontinued unfortunately . I'm hoping there's old stock somewhere or possibly someone has a spare ??

#9 ·
Yes?!!
I placed an order with MBOEMPARTS per your suggestion. They told me its discontinued. I then asked and confirmed with Tom Hanson over at the MB classic center..

NOW WHAT

Might be the right part for a 3D Printer?

#10 ·
Now what, is right. Darn it.

I'm hoping there is an antenna replacement mast somewhere that has the same tooth pattern.

Or maybe we could get a solid nylon cable and cut our own teeth?

Doesn't seem like an item for 3D printing but then, I'm not that familiar with the capabilities.

Sheesh.

#12 ·
The shade itself can be manually raised and affixed in the UP position.
You can do that without damaging any of the mechanisms?

Just wondering because the shade on my 400E is not working, either, and while the shade itself is different, I'm sure the mechanisms are about the same.

I haven't looked into mine yet, but it's completely dead. Nothing happens when I push the switch in either direction. No clicks, grinds, nothing, just silence.

Haven't really found too much info about the W124 shade, so I'm also going to look into all the W126 info I can find...

Reactions: Charlygirl
#13 ·
I believe the solution will be found with using "rope" from a replacement antenna mast. maybe getting out to a wrecking yard with your old rope piece and comparing with the different types of antenna mast rope found in antenna masts will get you to a better match. Then order a brand new equivalent, tailoring the length necessary for the shade unit. My problem is worse as I need a replacement cog gear which drives the rope through the unit in addition to the rope.

#18 ·
I am actually working on my rear sun-shade blind in the 560SEL right now.
The parcel shelf is out and i have tested the motor which works fine

I am missing the steel guide rod that attaches to upper window bracket
I need a new nylon teethed cord as the old one was broken and i have wound out what was left of it.

If anybody can point me in the right direction to source those two parts it would be most appreciated - email kimrh1@gmail.com
Sounds like there is a match from certain antenna nylon cords that will work if someone could advise which brand /part # to go searching?
As to the steel guide rod i hope someone comes up with a used one or an idea on how to replace it by making one up - if that is possible?
Would need to see some close-up pics of the rod and it dimensions if someone could chip in with details
Cheers

#20 ·
I'll give them a go but over here their parts division thinks the W126 is made of gold and charges just insane loaded prices for anything they order in (i am in Australia) and only other option is search "online web parts suppliers" in USA who accept paypal

#25 ·
I have just ordered via my local MB parts dealer the SEL guide pole and pressure spring & threaded pin and clip that are missing parts on mine (as well as the NLA plastic cable) and just those parts came to AUD$165
Just an example of how much we get ripped over here compared to ordering same parts from say USA Dealers.

I have ordered in a Volvo Antenna plastic cable hoping it is the right specs to modify (someone posted up that the Volvo Antenna cable which are readily available and cheap works fine - but they forget to mention which model Volvo!!!) so i am trying by hit & miss method to find out which one is correct.
Not an issue when their cables are a sub$10 item to find out which one works

If anybody has already successfully adapted a Volvo plastic antenna toothed cable then please fell free to post up the model and part #

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.