Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SDL glow plugs, front end

689 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  cmac2012 
#1 · (Edited)
I've done it now. I done bought me an '87 SDL with 300K miles. Perhaps not fully prudent, OTOH the price was attractive and much of the car is in great shape. I drove it home from North LA yesterday and got 27 mpg.

Two most pressing issues:

The front end is not tight. Not to the point of danger but there is too much unresponsive play in the wheel. I found this vid on troubleshooting and replacing deteriorated parts in the front end, large rubber bushings, fittings - I forget the best term all of a sudden:

Sounds like a good piece. I'm also wondering if the rack and pump are not fully wonderful. My best guess is to pursue renewing the rubber and perhaps ball joints that need it first.

The car starts well but the glow plug indicator light only works now and then. I gather that if a glow plug or two are faulty the light won't work? I've been waiting about 5 seconds and so far that's doing the trick.

Also, I accidentally found a down-loadable repair manual for the '87 300 SDL. I recall my previous difficulty finding a good manual for the 126. Has anybody used this one?

https://www.emanualonline.com/Cars/...currency=USD&gclid=CIeWirzp7dICFRRqfgod1JsF0w

See less See more
#2 ·
Lower control arm (LCA) bushings. Relatively inexpensive, but very labor intensive to replace. You'll need access to a press to get the old ones out and new ones in. Use Lemförder brand parts (OEM) if you can't afford Mercedes. Avoid anything that's URO, APA or Meyle.

There is no "rack" in these cars, they use a steering gear. It's possible that that the steering gear needs adjustment, the procedure which you can find here using the "Search" function, but do it carefully. Over adjusting will destroy the gearbox in short order. Before adjusting the steering gear you need to make sure everything else is in good condition and tight, such as tie rods, ball joints and steering stabilizer.

The glow plug light does provide some feedback as to the condition of the glow plugs. Again, either read the manuals or use the "Search" feature in the forum, as there have been plenty of us who has gone before you.

You can access the full set of Mercedes service manuals for this and other W126 models at: https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12253/program/matrix.htm

Welcome to the world of W126 diesels. There is no turning back, you are about to be assimilated.

Dan

#7 ·
I had a feeling a special spring compressor might be needed. I have one that's next to useless. I agree on the part about subbing in a floor jack in a pinch. Could lose a finger or worse from such shortcuts.

I may go the full route, not sure.

A buddy on another site is big on putting on stronger rear springs. I'd like to do that. I hate that sagging look.

You wonder if the same spring compressor would be used for front and rear.

#9 ·
On Klann's PDF they show item # KL-0025-1 for the W126 and then go on to describe various apparent variations, with the last group of numbers differing. I had a feeling this would be Snap - On pricing or more and yeah, $900 to $1000 on eBay.

I found this one at Amazon, the price is acceptable, $77, one hopes of course that it's good enough to be safe:

https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Spring-Compressor-Strut-Mercedes-Benz/dp/B00G1RXGIO

The Benz buddy I mentioned has spoken before of renting out his compressor tool, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Klann.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.