Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Might sell my SEC due to job offer. Not sure, but putting it out there.

2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  oldmako 
#1 ·
Gang, I have bags nearly packed and leave for China next week for a three month contract. The folks bringing me out skyped with me this morning and have made me what I feel to be a very fair offer for a three year contract and in this economy, security is everything.

The only thing making me want to say no is my car. I know that sounds nuts, but the 560SEC was a dream of mine and I just got her last November! Heck, I had the front seats restored, just changed the oil, had her inspected and LOVE her more than anything. But storage is not going to be easy. She's a 1987, by the way.

So there it is. Just laying it out there. Prior owner was using Dave J's German Car Service in Ewing Township, NJ. My best friend uses him for his 300SE and swears by him. The car is really terrific mechanically. I have plenty of videos on YouTube showing its condition.

Feel free to throw me advice. I would be in China for three years if I take the gig. That's a long time.

My sister laughed at me when I talked to her this afternoon. "Why is everything always backwards with you?" Yeah, tell me about it. Timing is everything.

And today, after doing my taxes (that was painful) a cop pulled me over and I didn't have my license (forgot it).

He pulled me over... to look at the car!! Not joking. So no license check, thankfully.

This is the third time a cop has pulled me over to look at my SEC. Crazy, right?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If the car just sits for 3 years you'll have a bunch of work to do when you get back. You really need to do some serious prep work to store it that long. Then you need a place...

Any chance you can find someone who will drive it regularly, but not too regularly? A solid hour every week or two should keep it in good shape. But, then, what if it needs maintenance?

#5 ·
Lordy Lordy what to do

Yeah that's the thing. I do not know anyone down here who could do that for three years and of course my father is retired and that would be a lot of pressure on him (he is advising I just sell her and buy another when I return).

I want to bang my head against a wall about this, but life throws us curve-balls and we need to know how to adapt. I am 45 years old and haven't cared about a car I've owned since 1998, when I sold my minty 1987 Chevrolet MonteCarlo (winters in CT were brutal and I couldn't garage it). So for 20 years cars were just basic transport to me. The SEC is different. It is a pure joy in my life, a pleasure to drive and a huge jaw dropped in this town, so if I have to sell it so soon it'll be a pisser. I suppose I have three months to ponder it since I have to come back in July and then return China in Sept to go full time.

#3 ·
Send it to Jonathon at Blue Ridge Mercedes up in Atlanta. Super mechanic and can make sure it's running well. Tell him Mike said Hi.

#6 ·
OR another possibility to inquire about, especially since you DID just get the car, ask if they will ship the car to China as part of the 3 YEAR contract, if they balk at that don't turn down the job, go with one of your original ideas. Just a thought here :grin

Hell, just imagine the looks you'll get tootling around in an SEC over there

Reactions: Teutone
#12 ·
OH DAMN John, almost fell outta my chair, his car passed around like the proverbial red headed step-child LMAO

#14 ·
Could you come back say every 6 months? If so then put fuel Stabil in the tank and keep it off the ground and really blow the cob webs out of it when you do get back. I was in a similar situation and stored my cars for several years and drove them for the weekend when I got back (a few times per year). You only have one opportunity to make money, so go do it, don't let an old Benz dictate your career goals and opportunities.

#16 ·
Your good luck charm,..

I think after rereading your thread starter that you have already answered your question and now it's about the how. Since acquiring your SEC you seem to have had quite a bit of good luck as per your comments over the past how ever many months. Now to the how,if it was me I would park it at my parents or trusted friends garage and put it to sleep for the three years. The forum will step up to the plate with the best advice on all the items that you will need to address for this exercise or lack thereof. The main cost I would factor in would be a rebuild of the fuel distributor and WUR at CIS flowtech when you return. The value of our C 126's are only heading north and you seem to have a great example so yeah I would work on the idea of long term ownership. Good luck with your decision.

John :nerd

#17 ·
Hmm yeah I'd probably try to store it somehow. Hard for me to say what your countrys values are doing, they dont seem to be fetching much compared to the rest of the world. So its a bit different perhaps - I wouldn't sell mine because the values would mean I wouldn't be able to afford another in three years.

On the other hand, three years of saving could get you a nice one, with the sale of your current one as a nice starter fund.

#18 ·
1783:

This is a great place to hear every horrible thing that might happen to your SEC over a three year period.

You are hearing that from a lot of people who have never stored anything for longer than a few months and live in places that a cockroach could not live without airconditioning and winter heating.

When my brother lived near New Bern, I recall that the weather there was about as mild as could be found east of the Mississippi.

Never a hard freeze, never a baking heat.

Ignore the nervous nellies above, get an inside storage spot for cars, prep the car a little and it will be just fine when you get back.

I currently have 7 of my 11 vehicles in inside storage and several have been unattended for quite a while.

Relax. Everything will be fine. You will find a place for about $80/mo, $3000 total. You just need a friend with a key to be available for any emergency. I predict you won't be rebuilding anything when you get back other than your tolerance for that horrid NC barbecue.

#20 ·
sell it 3 years turns to five years turns to new wife and kids turns to selling it after years of paid storage .

just a thought . I have lost 2 friends to trips to china for business, those ladies over there may have other plans for you. you have been warned.

good luck either way and stay safe.

#21 ·
sell it 3 years turns to five years turns to new wife and kids turns to selling it after years of paid storage . just a thought . I have lost 2 friends to trips to china for business, those ladies over there may have other plans for you. you have been warned.
Yes, you ain't kidding. My girlfriend is over there and we both have been doing the back and forth thing. If I live there, well, I know what'll happen. One of my reasons for thinking I might have to sell. If I was making the big bucks I'd just store and not care about the expense. Unfortunately I can't do that. I have to be smart about this.

John, yeah, I have had good luck. The two problems I had with it are no big whoop. The fuel pump relay was a paltry $45 to fix (God bless this forum) and the issue with the malfunctioning drain tube can be fixed by anyone with the balls or knowhow. Of course my knowing what I've got makes this harder. It's not easy to find a really good one on the east coast. I looked at nothing buy dogs until this one was available.

Benzitch, you wouldn't see this car in Jersey since I live in NC. :) It was in Washington Crossing PA. Bought the baby and drove her down here.

Winters are mild here, but Summers are very hot. My folks actually ac their garage now. They were having mold problems in the summer and the ac solved it.

I'll be going to Kunming, China. Known as Spring City. Mostly terrific weather but in winter if it gets a bit cold you have to keep your sweater on indoors because not a single building has heat. It's truly bizarre.

#24 ·
Yeah, exactly. I am being quoted above $200 a month. Waaaaay to much to consider storage.

I moved from Australia to America in 2010 for '2 years' and needless to say I'm still here and year 8 has snuck right up!
I was in EXACTLY your position when I moved from Cali to Chicago with an SEC I'd just had for a short time and never really got to 'enjoy to its fullest'... I contemplated offers of storage from forums members/friends and received a lot of support
I ended up selling on a 7 day eBay auction the week before I flew out for what I felt was less than its worth
Fast forward 3 years I ended up finding a widebody SEC and was able to buy it - had I still owned the old sec in cali I wouldn't have been in a position to react to the widebody immediately.
For me I'm glad I sold in the long run but it was a painful 3 years of 'did I do the wrong thing'
Good luck in China, I just got back from 10 days there - great place
Thanks. I have been there before. The food poisoning issues are not fun, but it is what it is.

#25 ·
Best Deal Ever!!

If you bring it up here to the Great White North i'll store it for free in my heated barn and install a AMG front spoiler on it, no charge.
Plus, you'll make extra money while your in China because you will get half of the money I get over 3 winters plowing driveways and parking lots here in town.:wink:wink

#27 ·
Just an update... from China. Wifi here is pathetic so it isn't easy to post. I'm 90% on selling due to the offer. My girlfriend understands my reluctance, but is certainly not being annoying. Her points make sense. 2.5 years of storage wouldn't be easy. :(

I return from this trip the end of June and would then move early October so I'd have three months to find a buyer (I might have one from here) and of course enjoy the car a bit more before depressingly letting it go.

Cars here are sooo dirty! No one washes their car. It is completely insane. Brand new Audis and Jags and Maseratis drive down the street, filthy as can be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.