Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

So this happened...

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  GreenT 
#1 ·
Last year a fellow member ask me to check a car he was interested in. He lives in Chicago and the car was in Orlando, a 1995 S500. I was impressed by how well it rode, the small turning radius and the power it had, also, they're big. :)

So early this week an ad pops up in my local CL for the same model black on black for $1,500, not 10 minutes from my place. So I figure... why not.

Expecting the worse I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the car, interior is in great shape, leather's flawless, just some switches and a good deep cleaning needed. Everything works.

Engine was smooth but power was lacking a bit, my suspicion was a clogged cat and that was confirmed by my indie. The exterior has some expected dings and a poor rattle can paint job on the driver's side front fender. No biggie for me since the Carfax shows no accidents.

So I bought it and with my powers of negotiation honed by years in the car bidness, I got him down to $800 :D. Turns out the wife wanted nothing to do with it since she bought herself a 2005 S500 and the guy just wanted it gone, like yesterday.

So here it is, all torn up while do some deep cleaning/reconditioning. Paint correction sometime in the near future...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn, dude!!! Congrats on the purchase. :thumbsup:

Those things seem to be at the bottom of the price curve right about now. Just never really been a fan of them, especially when it comes to looks.

Good luck with it. A lot of car for 800 bucks, that's for sure.

#10 ·
All you need is to hunt down some decent rims and your done
You're kidding, those W140 rims are gorgeous.

Of course, I'm a wee bit biased.:wink:wink

#8 ·
Not bad at all.
From bumper is from a 95-99 s class.
Rear lights should be reverted back to its 92 -94 look. But it's too late for that as he trunk wasn't either shaved or replaced to accommodate never lights.

I owned a 92 500sel. They are proper cars when running properly

Good luck!

#24 ·
Damn good snag there Alberto, proud for ya. I too am partial to big cars, hell I learned to drive a '71 Kingswood Estate station wagon :eek an DAT SUCKER was HUGE to a 15/16 yo kid

I'm glad you explained "Tito's" to us 'cause I was gonna ask if Tito was that shady shade tree wrench turner that had some "side businesses" when out on " all day test rides" :devil does excellent mechanic work but the Cops tend to follow his customers around after he fixes their cars

Again, good snag there, and right in your backyard too :wink

Reactions: GreenT
#26 ·
I'll agree with THAT 110%, my coupe being here is proof of star alignment, everything just fell into place on that whole situation, with selling one "today" and buying it's replacement "tomorrow"

#36 ·
Thanks for the reading material Bondavi.

As a side note, I started this thread here because this is, and will continue to be, my favorite forum -W126- and I know a lot of you duffuses. :nerd

However, this is a W140 so I crossposted the thread there as well. If you have any questions or comments they should be posted there.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2796530-new-member-w140-club.html

Thanks everyone. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.