Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help identify the noise.

744 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wooky_chew_bacca 
#1 ·
Car was parked for the better half of the week. It was very cold.
Upon startup I got his whistle of a sound. It went away more or less after 10 min of driving. I sprayed WD40 to the idler and power steering pulley thinking that might be it, but no. That did not help.

Can it be a fan clutch? It never gave any suspicion. Car doesn't sound like an air plane.

Never heard anything like this.

#4 ·
I'll 2nd the idler pulley

#7 ·
you can either remove the pulley from the arm, or the arm/pulley assembly then remove pulley from arm on a bench. be sure your hex socket is crisp and tight, or you will need a new bolt for the pulley to the arm.

#8 ·
Thanks again. I'll line it up and try to narrow down the problem.
Will order the pully and probably remove the arm with pulley on it.

One of the pulleys was making a noise for a few weeks. But I didn't know which one. This time as you can see the noise was alarming .

I just hope it's not the water pump.

#9 ·
WP is not impossible job, but there will be many other things to do while you do the WP since you have to take it down to the crank basically. If you do it, replace the crank seal while you have the chance.

#11 ·
Thanks, but at that point, I think Ill let the shop do the water pump and guides and Timing chain. Might as well.

I dont have a garage, just a good size drive way. Otherwise I would take my time over the weekend doing the guides and chain.

#10 ·
WEll, came back from work, started the car and everything is back to normal.

Either the wd40 i sprayed on the idler pulley and power steering pulley worked or I dont know.

I sure hope it wasn' the water pump. I looked up whats involved in changing that and almost had a heart attack.

Ill chime in as things develop.

This is similar to a convo with wife.

Wife: hey, we gonna have a talk soon.
ME: the hell we will. Talk now woman, or else.
Wife: well, perhaps its not that important.
ME: good, I wasnt going to to take the conversation seriously anyhow.

and so on.

Wish the problem just let me have it so I could deal with it. But no, it wasnt to play hide and seek.
Well fine. Im armed to the teeth!!!

#13 ·
This is similar to a convo with wife.

Wife: hey, we gonna have a talk soon.
ME: the hell we will. Talk now woman, or else.
Wife: well, perhaps its not that important.
ME: good, I wasnt going to to take the conversation seriously anyhow.

and so on.
Depends on what the particular topic may be :| and if one day she doesn't come home from work . . . . . you KNOW what the topic WAS. If you notice not long after that she's gaining a little . . . . . congrats Daddy :wink

#12 ·
WD-40 doesn't fix anything...

Take the belt off and spin everything by hand. the one that doesn't spin smoothly is the problem. Be sure to check the fan clutch separately from the fan pulley (hold the pulley and spin the fan).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.