Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WTB a rust free C126

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bflobob8 
#1 ·
WTB a rust free C126
Hi Everyone,

If you are the proud owner of a C126 that has no rust and you have decided it is time to get your next toy (or your wife wants your 'baby' out )- I'm looking for one that is reasonably priced, in running condition and does not require paint or have any rust repair needs; some maintenance records will be nice too...If you are located in the North East even better...

Prefer 560SEC but would entertain the 500SEC as well; grey, black, or blue interior.

PM me or text Julian @ 5o8 four 96 four 3 44

I will update once I park one in the garage.

#2 ·
Good luck on your search, although I think that the majority of SEC owners here aren't looking to sell theirs (I KNOW I'M NOT). I think you'd do better on a search for rust free examples in the South, Texas, or Southern California as most anywhere else, unless they absolutely weren't driven in the Winter, are going to have salt/rust issues. I found mine on Craigslist and there are several other outlets to look at as well.
The better the condition one (or any car for that matter) is in will naturally demand a higher price, "reasonably priced" could mean almost anything without having a number on it. Again, good luck with your search

#4 ·
Thank you all for the support, replied to the PM.

I've been scanning CL, ebay, BAT and the like for some time now and will continue to do so - guess most of the time things that are listed are either in the abused/needs full restoratio or museum quality category. This would be my first older MB so I have a lot to learn but won't mind getting my hands dirty with some mechanical work. Not sure I'm ready to risk in on cross country purchase site unseen yet but maybe it will come to that.

I'm tempted to consider a 500SEC but not sure the lack of SLS, etc. is worth the trade-off of design and extra years/miles....anyone with experience with both 500 and 560? Anything that makes the 500 a no-go for you?
I don't want speeding tickets so acceleration is not of great concern...

#7 ·
Well you've picked the right chassis for being "user friendly" as these cars are, from my understanding, the last of the "DIY'er" Mercedes. If you're even slightly mechanically inclined and after studying the manuals and figure out how these machines are put together their repair and maintenance is fairly simple, though sometimes tedious.

Reactions: Currumbin SL
#9 ·
I still look around just keep up with the prices, but more importantly just to look what sort of cars are out there.
I'd say a good 560SEC will start from around 5k. A good car can be had in a 5-10k range. In that range you deserve to have no rust and no paint issues. But mileage can be all over.

When I was looking, I took my time and decided I want the best I can find for the money I had set aside for it.

Then there was a Coupe vs Sedan debate. I would have went for either one, whichever came first. I always loved the looks of a sedan 126 so I was leaning that way from the start and it so worked out that the choices were bigger for the money I had for a 3rd leisure car.
In the long run, I know the coupes will be more desirable. I personally bought the car for its looks and driving characteristics. I love roads trips, so does my wife. And with 4 doors we can take our 4 year old daughter with us now comfortably.

#10 ·
Value impact of odometer problems on Carfax

Hi All, I'm still looking for a C126 so I have a follow-up inquiry to those with longer/multiple MB ownerships - how much do you think the value of the car is impacted if history shows odometer problems - seems there are quite a few out there where the odometers did not work at one point or another and Carfax would show either "no record" or even "branded title" for odometer issues...? Is it worth getting one of those if otherwise history shows the car miles shown are reasonably in-line?

Thank you to everyone for your kind responses...

#11 ·
I wouldn't be afraid.

The odometer gears on 126s have not withstood the test of time well (i.e. bubblegum). My first one, an 88 420SEL, came to me with broken gears. It was the first repair I made to it.

My 560SEL had an operational odometer, but the tach didn't work, so I pulled the cluster to change it out with the one I'd repaired. Upon pulling the cluster, the gears crumbled in my hands.

Long way of saying it's a known issue and if there's other documentation that gets the mileage close, don't fret.

#12 ·
What he said ^^^, mine came with broken gears and was the 2nd fix (fuel lines were first) but mine also came with a boatload of repair documentation from (assuming) the 2nd owner, basically a rebuilt car at around 175K miles and I bought it with 217K on the clock. Judging from the chain guide the mileage is fairly accurate

#13 ·
If the odometer issue is documented, it's likely OK. If not, run away. With my SEC the prior owner had the Odom repaired and I've the paperwork on it. Another thing to do is check the car-fax. Mine showed everything was in order. A number that I looked at had Odom discrepancies and I avoided them as a result.

Mine is going to be up for sale when I return from China July 1 as I have accepted a multi year job offer here in China. Storing it for nearly 3 years just isn't cost effective. :(

#16 ·
wilson comes across a bit harsh, but he's also real. Any potential 560SEC owner needs to decide if he wants a car under 8k that he can drive for years, even decades to come, but that will never really gain much value or be considered an investment, or... Should he go for a near mint to mint example, which cost him a great deal more money and be a car that spends most of its time in a garage and rarely on the road for fear of it losing value.

I chose the former and believe I made the right choice at the time. No matter what, make sure the car has not been cheated in regards to maintenance. Try to get lucky, as I did, and buy from someone who has already handled all the major work needed. You will be a hell of a lot happier. A number of members here bought cars in need of a lot of work and had to sink many thousands into their car to get it right. Sometimes it ends up being worth it because you will keep the car forever. And other times, well, just do a search here.

Posting from Kunming, China, where there are no SEC's. And I mean NONE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.