Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Why you SHOULD replace your headlight doors w126

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  my420sel 
#1 ·
On my '87 420SEL, my grandpa and I had nearly everything cosmetically and mechanically for the car up to par; however, the headlight doors often times become overlooked and deemed - "an expensive endeavor" - well yeah... if you go to the mechanics. Got these new headlight doors for $79.00 URO parts, as they don't make Bosch for the doors anymore, URO has surmounted them... In any regard, the process was ever so diminutive and quite effortless. Just as a precaution, be vigilant around those tabs, as they may be fragile. These photos should convince anyone with their headlight doors in sub-par shape to invest in this accolade.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Congratulations, the new frames/doors make your lights look good again.
URO is not highly regarded on this forum, but who knows these headlight doors might be of decent quality?
At least someone still makes them available.

As an aside, priced from the mid $200 to $300 decent OE Bosch Euro headlights periodically come up on the forum. They have superior light output.
The aftermarket Taiwan Depo lights are around $200 for the pair (glass lenses) and should be of similar quality as the URO doors / frames.
Not to rain on anyones parade, but compared to $70 for just the frames / doors, the complete lights appear to offer better value imo.

Attachments

#4 ·
Just as a data point, I've found Bosch Euro W126 headlight glass on eBay Germany a number of times for cheap. The last set I bought was barely $75 with shipping for the pair about six months ago.

The headlight door situation is the same on W123 chassis cars as well. Neither Bosch nor Mercedes make them anymore, only URO. I haven't bought one of the URO doors, as I found an NOS Bosch part the other day, but if I can't find an NOS left side soon I'll cave and buy a URO.

While I have a hard and fast rule about not buying anything made by URO, I might make an exception in this case since the part is purely cosmetic and not functional in the sense of being critical to the operation of the car.

Dan

#6 ·
Yes the new and improved looks outstanding. As others have said maybe URO finally found a part they can make with decent quality.

I see your profile says Georgia, if I may inquire, where in Ga ? East and South of metro Atlanta here (almost where sunshine has to be piped in :wink)

#7 ·
As an aside, it would be a nice alternative if parts whose continued production Bosch deems no longer profitable could be interchanged with Depo parts.
Like the plastic frame behind the lens etc. It would be better than nothing.
The lone seller in Eastern Europe I found was asking $90 for each frame :eek
Only complete lights are still available.

I have a few W123 & 116 Euro lights with very good reflectors and lenses, but broken plastic frames.
I remember when one 123 frame slipped out of my hand to fall on a soft carpet, only for the old time bakelite to break into many pieces.
It would be good to know how close to the Bosch/Hella originals the Depo copies are, and whether they sell parts?

#8 ·
I've been hesitant to purchase the Bosch Euro lights because if a rock hits my headlight frames, it's just like forfeiting $200+, Which was the incentive to retain the original headlight doors, and even if, they were a breeze to replace(i bought a video from MercedesSource on how to replace them for 1.99$)
Anyhow, at 79$, I could replace them every year if I wanted to, just for the hell of it. But I was keen on it looking A+ all the meanwhile not killing the wallet, as, with my luck, I'd purchase the Euro Bosch glass lights, and that very day it'd manage to break.

#12 ·
I tend toward the "URO is junk" persuasion, but this might be a case where they make a good product, and you've got nothing to lose beyond the purchase price. The new headlight doors are a huge improvement and more than worth the money as long as they hold up to the elements. If they made new fog lamp lenses for the SEC, I'd definitely consider a pair - they're NLA from MB and it's hard to find ones that don't look sandblasted after years of driving.

The euro headlight upgrade is a very noticeable improvement, better beam pattern and more light output overall. They're not hard to find used in some areas (mainly SoCal), and you could find a good deal on a set by scouring the wrecking yards and/or Craigslist. Still, there are some drawbacks: the US headlight wipers sit up high and don't look right on them, and you have to modify the wiring and mounts. Plus, unless you're lucky, it can take time to find a good pair at a decent price. So, definitely an upgrade, but not necessarily a no-brainer. I was going to mention scotchguard, but @GreenT beat me too it. The euros are pretty durable and will take some abuse, but scotchguard will shield the lens from damage in many cases and prevent the "sandblasting" effect. I finally put it on my car after taking a rock chip - fortunately the glass shard broke off cleanly and I was able to super glue it back in, unfortunately, it's not going to do much if the car hits a deer...

#14 ·
If you don't want to go to the expense of Euro headlights or you want to maintain the US spec appearance of your car, consider doing a relay upgrade to your headlight wiring. It will make a significant difference in the output of your stock headlights and is easily reversible.

Dan

#15 ·
Looks awesome. I always felt these make the car look a lot older as they age.
Wish we had a an easy solution for rear lights as well.

I thought my frames are ok for the age. What do you guys think? Replace, or keep in the spirit of originality and miles traveled.

Attachments

#16 ·
Those look like they're in good condition, remarkable if they're original and have seen lots of miles. Really, your whole front end looks very clean; I don't see any of the chips/pits/scratches you typically see. Only way I could see replacing them is if you need the fog lights a lot or just gotta have a like-new look.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks, its a 90 with 110k miles and was used mostly between NC and FL by retired owner. I do use the fog lights at night as they provide a bit more lighting, yet I dont feel mine are faded to the point where I need to replace them. The new ones do look sweet. Almost too clean. I dont even remember how they were brand new.

On the other hand, I would love to replace the rear lights to freshen things up. Again, they are not too bad, but new ones would kick ass.

Attachments

#19 ·
Trevor, it may be similar to "door cards" aka inside door panels, that was a new one to me. Heard in a movie once, can't remember which one "It all depends on which side of the fence you are standing determines just how dumb you are"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.