Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

K1 and K2 Springs

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  liviu165 
#1 ·
Before I dig into what looks like a pretty simple process I just wanted to be sure of what I DO have to take off and what I DON'T have to take off. My 1983 300SD (722.3 Tranny) has 2-3 and 3-4 flare. Mostly 2-3. I have the Superior kit and have read so many posts about the job but what I keep getting stuck on is if I have to remove the valve body, or not. If I do, no problem as its just a bunch of bolts. What I DON'T want to do if I can avoid it is remove the 2 screws that hold the valve body together. I'll cry like a 3 year old if those little balls go rolling out. For this job can't I just remove the little plates that cover the K1 and K2 springs without removing the 2 screws that hold the valve body together? ALSO- how can I be sure if I have an early 722.3 or late 722.3?
Thanks for the time and help!

#2 ·
I recall more than one thread with pictures describing the job in detail. I think there is even a transmission manual. Check the DIY stickies on top and search the forum archive. The 'Welcome...' announcement on top has the how to. Google might get you there as well.

Attachments

#3 ·
I did read through a ton of threads, but just wanted some final thoughts. Also, any info on how to know if my 722.3 is early or late? I ran a ton of VIN (WDBCB20A5DB039199) checks/decoders and threads but nothing seems to lay it out flat. Maybe I'll know when I get into the tranny by what I see?

#5 ·
Parameter Value
Ident. number (FIN) WDB12612012039199
VIN WDBCB20A5DB039199
Baumuster 126120
Sales name 300 SD
Permanent link Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz WDBCB20A5DB039199 | CARInfo
Order number 0 2 705 44993 (Destination: USA)
Delivery date Try to define yourself (tables in russian)
PAINT1 735 No code designation available
PAINT5 52 No code designation available
Interior color 252 No code designation available
Engine 617951 12 039352
Gearbox 722303 02 306058

#7 ·
1) This will be your guide: http://www.trocki.pl/szymon/automat/tranny_722_repair.pdf
2) I am not sure if you are referring to K1 and K2 springs or B1 and B2 brakes. Your "the little plates that cover the K1 and K2 springs " confused me. To get to K1 and K2 clutch springs you need to take the guts out, to get to B1 and B2 brakes you don't, you take only the covers (is that what you call "plates"?). Note: B1 and B2 do have springs too.
3) You can take the entire valve body off w/o loosing the balls (18 of them or so?) because the balls are in between the two valve body plates. Those plates are being held together by their own screws and unless you take those out your valve plates will NOT separate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.