Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What does this hose go to?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jackjtr 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me what this hose/connection goes to?

It's to the right of the battery on my 84 380SE.

I know, I know. I had to rig something up to stop it from leaking a bit. I broke off the barb like an idiot not taking care of 33 year old heat cycled plastic. It's usually just the smaller diameter hose with a hose clamp.

Is this some sort of a heater core overflow hose? I can definitely JB Weld the nipple back on. Would it be safe to block it for now as I'm not using the heat?

As always, thank you gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
On the other side of the wall is a mechanical thermostat that at low temperature allows hot coolant to travel through the windshield heater (located under the windshield where the wipers "park"). The thermostat is secured to the wall and its barb fitting protrudes on the battery side of the wall (which broke in your case). Its housing is made out of plastic and indeed is brittle after so many years. Get one from the JY, they are easy to find, usually nobody takes them.

My setup is a bit different, I have an extra hose to the right that apparently you don't, but the hose you are inquiring is in the same location. In the first picture you can see the setup, including the heater under the windshield. The second shows you the thermostat, and the last the hose connected.

Attachments

#7 ·
For the time being, would it be okay to bypass the thermostat?
I am not sure if this is the best option because it will generate heat full blast in one spot of the windshield. My concern is that it could crack the windshield because of uneven heating across the windshield and much heat concentrated in one spot. I had a windshield cracked many years ago on a different car because of defrosting full blast, so I've seen it happening.

If it would be me I would eliminate it and close both hoses (simulate the thermovalve closed), then you can put one back when you get one.

#13 ·
Success! The JB Weld is solid and everything is buttoned up. I definitely don't feel bad using this stuff in my cylinder heads. Still having starting issues though.

If I had the time (and money!), I would highly consider doing an EFI/Coil Pack conversion to this car. K Jet is interesting and all, and it looks badass under the hood, but when it comes to reliability and efficiency, I think this car will have EFI at some point.

#15 ·
Just a follow up...

The JB Weld repair failed today. I'm so glad it failed within a mile of my house rather than during the 35 mile trip I was going to take with it later in the day. There just wasn't enough contact area for it to hold long-term under pressure. However, it did make it on a 25 mile round trip and local driving with no issues.

I'll be bypassing the windshield heater tomorrow. Pretty annoying considering I just put the wipers back on and I'll have to take the cowl off again. I'm just thankful it failed when and where it did. *phew*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.