Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ice, Ice, Not Very Nice!

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  wooky_chew_bacca 
#1 ·
Got hit with the freezing rain storm yesterday that created havoc in the US mid-west the past few days.

See less See more
#2 ·
MEANWHILE down here in my neck of the woods we are wandering around in T-shirts and shorts :devil

#19 ·
Did you drive the coupe over to the shore to go wake boarding? :wink:wink

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
#4 ·
I still can't believe your coupe sits out in that extreme weather parked up.
Would it not be helpful to put a weather proof car cover over it as a basic necessity.
The amount of hidden rust that would be lurking under the exterior would scare the crap out of me.
Looks too cold for my liking as we don't even no what snow is over here- haha
Cheers

#8 ·
Sun is a great excuse for a cover. You can keep dust and UV from making bad things happen. Putting a cover on a car in wet places is just a really good way to speed up rust, mold, paint damage, abrasion, and a pretty fast disintegration of the cover itself. I tried using one on a R107 for a few years. The thing tried to blow off the car, and being sodden with rain, it made scratches, built up interior and outside mold, sped up rust that I was not aware of, and gave mice, rats, raccoons, cats and other vermin a really nice dry place to sleep. IT did no favors for the soft top, and a few years later, the thing was in tatters.

#9 ·
I've had very good success with a cover for the last few years, but you do have to faff to keep it ok. Must be one that breathes obviously, must not flap too much, and must not constantly fall off. Also, if it does fall off you probably need a new one because there could be grit on the inside.

I would buy the ones that cost around £30, and I replaced them often..

One failure was when I lived in a place where the sun could suddenly shine on it, and night time moisture had got underneath. I did then have some bleached spots that wouldn't fully polish out. They faded away in the end though.

The other thing is the car must obviously be clean and dry when the cover goes on. I've given up covers now though, too much faff.

Complete disaster I knew someone had, was putting towels under the cover to absorb the moisture. They froze to the original low mileage paint and ruined it. Poor guy, gutted. (Not an MB.)

#10 · (Edited)
I agree with all of the anti cover comments, thank you.:notworthy:
The car is pretty well rust free having spent it's early years in Spain and Argentina owned by a German diplomat.
It ended up in Washington DC and was bought by a guy from the Canadian Embassy and brought to Canada in 1996.
It is treated by Rust Check Canada & United States ? Best Rust Protection Application every fall and a 2 layers of ....
every fall.

#14 ·
A few years ago we had 4-5 inches of freezing rain overnight. Took me days to get it off the cars and driveway.

To top it off the power was off for 2 days but we managed to keep warm with the natural gas fireplace insert on full blast.

#15 ·
How long ago was that? I think it was 2008 we had an ice storm that knocked out power across most of the state for 5-10 days.

First the sump pump stops running, then the basement fills up with water. Ruined the boiler, hot water heater, freezer. washer, dryer...

#16 ·
How long ago was that? ..
Must have been 3 years ago because I'd just bought the SEC but still had the Mazda6 wagon and hadn't bought the Maxima.

#18 · (Edited)
Ice is the worst.

I remember, when I was a kid, there was a pretty damn bad ice storm in my home town.

First the power went. Then, some sort of valve on the city's water tower froze and dumped the entire contents on the courthouse square (yep, old Southern towns still have those).

So, for a solid week and a half, we had no water as well as no power. Natural gas lines were unheard of there.

I will say, the ice skating on the square would have been killer, but since the town's in South Carolina, not a damn soul had ice skates. Besides, no one could drive on the roads for a week. But, to keep the neighborhood kids occupied, my dad mounted an expedition, on foot, to see the frozen over courthouse square (about five miles round trip). Four or five inches of solid ice contained within an eight inch high concrete curb that surrounded the whole courthouse and its grounds.

Melting snow to flush toilets sux royally. We cooked in the fireplace and on a Coleman stove. Light was from a solitary Coleman lantern and candles.

My Dad (bless him) was not going to let that happen again. After both my folks were gone, I was saddled with the unsavory task of almost singlehandedly cleaning out the house they lived in for 45 years. I bet I hauled 300 gallons of water out of that damn house. Every closet (five bedrooms; three baths) had at least 10 gallons in it and some had much more.

I do recall , though, not feeling "put upon." Sucky though it was, it was the hand we were dealt and everyone else was in the same boat. We were never hungry or thirsty and made it through just fine...but, the freezer was damn near empty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.