Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bilstein Comfort shocks

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MBL87560SEC 
#1 ·
Guys,

Is there a difference between a Bilstein 'Comfort' shock and a Bilstein 'Touring' shock? the last set that I got from FCPEuro were the 'Touring' shocks. I didn't find them very comfortable (pun intended), and they only lasted about 60,000 miles. The HDs that I had lasted considerably longer, but the roads up here are too punishing for the HDs. So, again, are 'Touring' and 'Comfort' interchangeable when talking about Bilstein shocks for our cars?

Here is a link to the shocks that I got last time: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-shock-absorber-b361183

And here is a link to the 'Comfort' shocks at AutohausAZ: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/B361183

In looking at the URLs, it appears that they are the same part number, but not listed the same on the content of the individual web pages.

Regards,

Rob

#3 ·
I'm aware of the comfort vs HD discussions, the roads here are just too damn horrible for the HDs (I had them when I moved up here), AND they (the roads), are very straight, so I'd rather err on the side of soft, since handling isn't a HUGE deal on straight roads... I'm just trying to make sure that when I order the new ones (comforts, since the roads are gouged like a battlefield), that I get the correct ones. It is my understanding that there are only the Comforts (touring?), HD and then the B8s available for our cars, and I/m just trying to be certain that it is just the description (Comfort vs Touring) that is different, NOT the shock itself.

Rob

#6 ·
I put HDs on my former 1982 300SD and wasn't happy with them, as they made the ride really harsh, I thought.

While that sort of ride might be appropriate on some cars, I didn't care for it on my 300SD. I felt like it should ride a little softer.

Personal preference, I guess.

Dan

#7 ·
Don't get too hung up on touring vs comfort, they mean the same, in that they both refer to the B4 shocks. They are usually valved a little bit stiffer than factory shocks, but they are the best shock absorber you can get if you want comfort and durability. They will be limited to around 60 000miles because they are twin-tubes. B6 and B8 are mono-tubes, and will be naturally stiffer than the B4. If your ride is still uncomfortable after installing new B4s, I recommend you check the condition of the rest of the suspension, harsh bumps (terrible road kind of harsh bumps) are absorbed by the control arm bushings.

#8 ·
Control arm bushings were replaced about 2 1/2 years ago. I also just ordered a new rear differential mount, which is the last of the rear suspension rubber that had not been replaced (IIRC). I think that I will opt for the comforts, as the roads here are horribly maintained. Since I got them from FCPEuro, they will be guaranteed for life (as are the ones that I'm replacing). I think that I'm with Dan on this one, I want comfort over a bit less body roll. The comforts that I have were not too squishy, and I don't think that I could stomach anything stiffer. As it is now, I can't even put on my 17" wheels, because it is too stiff (cracked a wheel after two weeks of driving) I don't like the 15" BBS as well as the AMG mono blocks, but function must be over form on a daily driver that drags me over 900 miles a week...

Rob

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#9 ·
You know, I happened on this video comparison between the two Bilstein models in question..
Both Compression & Rebound action for both Comfort & HD versions one can readily see in this vid.

Its all subjective i imagine… I use the Comforts in the front and Self Leveling in the rear with 16 inch rims.. I am well pleased with the result.

MBL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.